please test this out with your ARC AAA's and LE's

JollyRoger

Enlightened
please test this out with your ARC AAA\'s and LE\'s

Run an "almost dead" battery in your ARC...just to make sure the battery has "just enough juice to power your ARC.

Then stick a fresh battery in it.

After running this for a couple of seconds, take it out and put the "dead" battery back in. It doesn't light!

Wait a minute or so. Then try it again...it lights again!

??
What is causing this? It's like the ARC's circuitry become temporarily insensitive to weak batteries when it has just had a fresh battery.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: please test this out with your ARC AAA\'s and LE\'s

The circuit will continue to operate from a lower voltage than what it requires to first start up ("trigger"). In your test, the dead cell oblivously had enought voltage the first time it lit up but did not have enough the second time. If you wait long enough (1-5 minutes, depending on how dead it is, etc), the cell voltage will gradually recover and it will then have enough once again to trigger the inverter.

The fresh cell should have no effect on this mode of operation.

Peter

JollyRoger

Enlightened

You see, Peter, that's exactly what I thought, too....

But to test this, I repeatedly turned the ARC on and off with the "dead" battery. Each time, it turned on (but was dimmer than a fresh battery). Then, I ran a fresh battery in it for a bit. Put the dead one back in, and it didn't power up at first, just like I posted before. I even immediately took this dead battery out and put it in another ARC LE and it instantly lit up!

P.S. Peter, I STILL haven't received the ARC LE and ARC (black) that you resent me...ugh.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry you haven't recieved your replacements yet. I think the mail is slower this time of year.

About the interesting phenomena you noticed. Since it is acting different with the same flashlight, that is indeed odd. You would think that the residual charge in the capacitor would actually help that unit start up easier, not the other way around. Without perhaps observing the units personally, I can only speculate on what would be causing this interesting mode of operation.

Peter

JollyRoger

Enlightened

I'll try this again tonight and post the results. I have 3 ARC LE's I can try this with.