Regulated Incandescent and LED Combo?

bquinlan

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light with a fairly bright incandescent mode and a long-lasting LED mode that features a regulated power supply and runs on a pair of 123s. Not asking for much, am I? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif So far the only thing I've found that seems to fit the bill is the Surefire A2. Can anyone point me to other lights that match those requirements?

On a side note, am I crazy to think that the A2 has a rather short battery life, given its output and power regulation circuitry?

--Bob Q

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is about it. You might try the Pila G2LR. It isn't electronically regulated, but with the li-ion battery you'll get more constant output than with 123s. If a little larger is ok, you might want to try the G3LR. It's way brighter than the G2LR and SF A2.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is the ONLY production light that fits those criterion.

Yes you are crazy to think that the runtime is short. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The regulation circuitry is probably only 85 percent effiecient at most, and the LED's are ON when the xenon lamp is running. Plus there is a 10 ohm resistor in the switch that is in play at some point or another.

The A2 is a beautiful light and quite the piece of engineering. Worth every penny, IMO. I don't own one, though. I am currently EDCing an E2e, and bought a C2 back when I was thinking of getting an A2. The only complaint I have heard about the A2 (besides the price) is that the beam has some kind of ringy-ness to it at the perimeter. This is what put me off buying the light, but this same guy who complained about the A2 beam (this is nascar) also complained about the beam from the P60 and P61, and I had no problems with those beams. In fact, I thought they were great. So take that with a grain of salt.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am not sure if its regulated, probably not, but the Streamlight TwinTask 2L or 1L has similar functions too... Fairly bright incan and long running leds for its price, compared to the ones mentioned above!

Mark2

Enlightened
I like the A2, but it's beam is not as good as the P60. It's pretty oval to start with, and there are some minor artifacts. Also, most A2's don't have the hotspot of the incan at the exact same place as the hotspot of the LEDs, so there usually is a little bit of 'blue' on one side of the incan beam. The beam is not bad, it's just not as good as other Surefires. On the other hand, the incan's color is whiter than most other Surefire incans.

The TT-2L is not regulated and cannot be focused very well, it's really more of a floodlight, not a good thrower.