New Luxeon Flashlight

shipinretech

Enlightened
I am in competition with this product and highly biased.
I wonder how you replace a cracked lens? The trade-off for one piece construction is lowered serviceability. This looks really cool, but I think it would be a bear to fix. There has to be a threaded bezel on the front to hold the lens in and allow access for construction. This sort of rules out the whole "one-piece" notion as anything but a marketing slogan. It probably works, but takes special tooling to remove; something like a watchmaker bezel handling tools. It probably has a solid heat sink so fueling it with lithium won't cause much of a problem. The battery life quote having a 50% variance sort of bothers me. "Get 8 - 12 hours of light on one set of batteries." It indicates that they haven't invested in a recording light meter. http://www.inretech.com/pictures/lightmeter.jpg

The machining looks spiffy, I am tempted to buy one, but I think I'll finance a new prototype InReTech light instead.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by shipinretech:
"Get 8 - 12 hours of light on one set of batteries." It indicates that they haven't invested in a recording light meter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That could also mean 8 hours continuous, 12 hours intermittent.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or even to take into account different battery chemistries- Lithium vs Zinc Oxide, or even just plain manufacturing tolerances.

Head looks kinda big, I wonder how much metal there is in there?

confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I emailed the seller 3 times today. AOL address. Got bounced back each time. User unknown.
confused.gif

Gundam

Newly Enlightened
it's running on two Photo-lithium batteries, which i guess is 6v in total. could the LED be overdriven or is there a regulator in there?

Gundam

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by galavanter:
I emailed the seller 3 times today. AOL address. Got bounced back each time. User unknown.
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah i got the same problem

shipinretech

Enlightened
I am in competition with this product and highly biased.

If I was 200 feet deep and reaching for a light, I do not want to have a 50% uncertainty about how intermittantly I have used it. I also don't like that they claim to have the brightest white LED, since those wonderful folks at Lumileds have surpassed themselve with a 5W LED. Unless this is the 5W LED, and then I doubt they are getting 8-12 hours of light because they would be throwing a lot of power out the window to get it to the voltage required to push the 5W part.

I guess that I disagree with many of the decisions they made with this light and am defending the decisions we made by being picky about their advertising verbage. They had to have had a lot of money available to make this item, and I am in awe of their machining. I think they made a mistake by overbuilding the product and that their price point is a bit steep for a utility light. Maybe I'm just envious of their ability to run at the bottom of Craig's fishtank.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks to me like they used some sort of "expansion ring" to hold everything in from the front. While making it waterproof in this manner would not be impossible, I think 400ft might be a stretch...

The biggest mistake they made was designing it to use expensive "photo lithium" batteries.
frown.gif
For that reason alone, I will not consider buying one. It would have been to their advantage to have used some of the space in that overly-large head for a regulation circuit to permit use of lower cost batteries.