Energizer 2 Led Folding Lantern: Mods?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
From posting in another thread, I got to thinking again about a mod for this light. It seems to be a nice moddable platform, with 4AAs on board and a 2 position switch. Has anyone done anything with these little guys? Maybe 26kmcd leds, mjleds, cyan leds, luxs...?

There are two versions, and I have one of each. One has both leds on for both switch positions, but feeds more current to them for High. The other is feeding high current, but only has one led on when the switch is Low. I don't know if they can be changed or not.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am guessing it is a simple resistored circuit and if you were to take it apart you could substitute resistors and possibly even insert more LEDs into the circuit. What would be an interesting mod is to change the switch to a double pole double throw and use the low setting on two LEDs in low and the high setting on 4 LEDs on normal or possible overdrive of up to 40ma/LED. I find you either want just enough light to walk by or as much light as posssible to read or fix stuff by.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya Lynx. I agree with how much light would be desireable for each setting. Have you modded one of these guys yet? I happen to remember you having some 26kmcd leds...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Phaserburn, I dont have any of those 2LED eveready lanterns and don't plan on getting any soon as I have enough projects to play with. I currently am brainstorming a prodigy II lantern mod flourescent/LED and have 6 of the 26kmcd LEDs left I may put a few into a rayovac 2AA roughneck host I got for $2. The 26kmcd LEDs are well suited for area lighting as they are bright and some have horrible beam patterns for direct lighting.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the 26kmcd's would be great for this as the white diffuser tubes in the Energizer would capture all emitted light and be a good application for them. I just modded one of my lanterns, and it is definitely an improvement over the stock mystery leds.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A trick you can use in creating your own clone lantern is buy some water tubing at lowes by the foot that is a tight fit for 5mm LEDs.... it is probably curved a little but works good for capturing side spill.... some soda straws work pretty good also. You could either add 2 LEDs or create your own lantern that way.