Need suggestions on pepper spray for wife....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a creepy guy at work that has cornered my wife one time to hit on her, and now he "watches" her at work. The boss is a ****head and won't do anything about it. So, I want to get her the most potent, hottest pepper spray I can get her. Any suggestions

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Fox Labs has a very good reputation whenever the subject of OC spray (Oleoresin Capcasin) comes up on the various firearm discussion boards.

http://www.foxlabs.net/Products.html

If her primary concern is being cornered in a tight spot, you may want to look into the foam model. It's less likely to create a fog, or backsplatter that might incapacitate her in tight quarters.

Also, as to your wife's situation, she should make a journal, noting place, time, date, and the basics such as anything the guy says, in any further incidents she encounters. She should also do the same for the complaints she makes to the boss. If there's e-mail at work, even better, she should complain to the boss through that, and save hardcopys of her messages, and any response.

Doing that would make her the perfect client for any lawyer, should it come to that. Or, it might just be a kick in the u-know-where to the boss that she's serious, and he should be too.

If he threatens her with any disciplinary action or firing for keeping such documentation, or repeatedly bringing up the complaints, he's only digging himself deeper, sweetening the pot for any settlement she would eventually get.

Retaliation by an employer for complaining about sexual harrasment is an even bigger no-no than the harrasment itself in the eyes of the law.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, its a small office like 5-7 people and if she pushes this, she'll be the "problem" employee. She works in the office and the guy works out in the maintenance area (its a bus service) and always seems to be in a position to look at her. I will have a "word" with the boss and this little jerk possibly as early as tommorrow morning. I will try to be as civil as I can, but if he gets stupid then it may become more serious. But I just want to get her the most severe burning stuff there is. The foam is a good idea, I'll look for it. Thanks for the link. She will be getting my G2Z w/P61 to hold onto from now on...

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's the problem employee and sometimes it takes a wack on the bosses head to see that.
If you contact an attorney make sure they specialize in the field. If you are in a town under about 100k it's a very good idea to go out of town to find somebody.
The good old boy network is alive and well.

Deanster

Enlightened
+1 on Fox. It's held in very high regard by the LEO's who use it. Worth noting that Fox foam is NOT the same 5.3 million SHU formulation - it's much less potent at 2.0 million, and foams don't have as good a reputation in general as fog or stream.

Fog is considered most effective, but there is a strong tendency for it to blow or shift in the wind, and generally cause havoc for everyone in the area.

I think the splatter streams are the best compromise, and the Fox 5.3 2oz is a great choice.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the "Peoples Republic" of New Jersey, we can only carry .75oz max. I'll look into the streams, because I want her to have the range as well...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im makeing some hot sauce .smeels like some one sp[rayed pepper spray in house i always wondfered if ity could be used as pepper spray

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto Fox Labs.

I feel 2oz is a good size. I wouldn't go smaller and risk not having enough. Anything larger might be hard to conceal.

Keep in mind there are three types of sprays:

Stream: Best distance, but more likely to miss hitting the target.

Cone: Spreads out and gives better chance of hitting, but shortens range.

Foam: For indoor use.

There are a couple types of tops (caps) and I'd suggest sticking with the flip top.

Keep in mind that indoor use of this stuff (other than the foam) is not recommended. There have been reports where the building ventilation picked it up and cleared out the entire building.

For general use, I'd lean towards the cone. Much better chance of hitting the target and my guess is if you feel you need the OC you are probably going to be pretty close.

Fox also makes training canisters and you can also get Sudecon decontaminate wipes.

-john

VWTim

Enlightened
FWIW, I carry a 2oz. Fox Cone spray, and the gf keeps one in her car/purse close at hand. Most any pepper sprays would be the job in this instance, but if you want the best, Fox is one of 'em.

Zackerty

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
im makeing some hot sauce .smeels like some one sp[rayed pepper spray in house i always wondfered if ity could be used as pepper spray

[/ QUOTE ]

Raggie, a little of your sauce in a good water pistol...
Hey Presto!!!

We will have the fella singing...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Mine eyes have felt the pain of the coming of the Habenero... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh. I didn't see that about the .75 oz limit. They do have the personal canister size. The web site says 11 grams, which Google says is .388 oz. Better than nothing I guess.

Does NJ allow the carry of something like the ASP Baton? Might make a good attitude adjuster once you use the 11 grams of OC spray.

I'd like to mention that any employeer who ignores or worse, targets someone who even suggests harrasment is a HUGE damn fool.

No matter what approach you guys take, AJ's suggestion about documentation is extremely good. It gives you a much better position if any sort of legal action is taken, and it also helps your position even if you don't push it, but then something happened.

While I understand you are upset, you confronting the boss and/or the person doesn't sound like it is going to come out any better than if she brought a complaint (and potentially much worse if you lose your cool or perspective). If she has already clearly indicated that she feels this person is harrasing her to her boss, I would suggest she takes it quietly to whoever her boss reports to. I suspect you won't find many bosses that ingore these kinds of complaints.

-john

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
The Fox OC is the best out there. Check out the Defense Devices.com site. Very informative. They're an excellent dealer.

Being in the Peoples' Republik of NJ, you're a bit weapons-limited. However...

I've been down this very same road a few times, myself. The previous recommendation re seeking The Right attorney is a good one... and a good one will smell the money (even if it's a small co.) and take this on a contingency fee basis.

The main point is, both your wife's boss AND the D!@khead who's watching/harrassing her absolutely MUST be made to quickly realize that your wife is NOT alone... that she has an army of legal AND "muscle" resources behind her.

That means ya gotta make sure the Legal avenue is done right. Alternately, you could engage some Mafia pals or, umm, some "violence-prone war veterans", etcetera, who might owe you a favor and have 'em meet said D!@khead in a parking lot some night real soon. Better yet, find out the jerk's home address and arrange for him to be "visited" there. Not PC, but "countervailing power" (i.e., The Fear Of God) does work.

I've used both methods. The 2nd one's quicker, though not approved by the Million Mommies and the naive conflict-averse MainStreamMedia. YMMV.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunatly, you can't carry a baton in NJ either. Basically, you can't carry ANYTHING but a .75oz pepper spray canister and a Surefire, which she now has. I've got that island tactical page open right now and I'm looking around....

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3, there's some good advice up there. I hope the situation can be resolved amicably without anyone having to get hurt. I just wish we could carry any amount of pepper spray here in the Republic of Singapore.

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
KDOG3, there's some good advice up there. I hope the situation can be resolved amicably without anyone having to get hurt. I just wish we could carry any amount of pepper spray here in the Republic of Singapore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually seen S'pore girls carrying small OC sprays on key rings and handbags. If what you say is true then these must be illegal?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey KDOG, sorry about the woes. I recommend the paper-trail, legal threat road first. As you can see in the news, any sexual harassment is a big deal these days, and all bosses should be watching their step in this area.

However, another thumbsup on FOX labs, my wife has that small purse sized spray in her bag. Be aware that the small ones have very limited range, and aren't the fifteen, or even ten-foot blast of OC you might want.

daloosh

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about an Asp Key defender
one of the ones with the OC spray built in
if she misses with the OC then she has a palmstick (Kubotan, Koppo, Yawara stick - call it what you like)
these things can be pretty devastating with just a little training
and if the police ask - its a keyring