Your Flashaholism: Need or want????

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I was wondering if all you CPFer's were like me.

I like flashlights. (Duh)

I like to buy new flashlights. (Double Duh)

But I don't need all these lights, I'm sure all one needs is one or two flashlights.

So what is it that drives your search for your next light. Do you need it for a certain task. Or do you want it just to have it in your collection???

I like lights, that is all there is to it. If there is something new coming out, (U85 for example) (Or Mr. Bulks new Chameleon) For example, I have to have it, not because I need it, because I want it. Why is it alright for someone to own 50 handguns and no one raise a brow. But if someone owns 50 flashlights they are crazy??

That is what I don't understand. Remember this fellow CPFer's, do what YOU want wth your money. If your buddies tell you that you are wasting your money on lights, and they spend their paycheck on knives, guns, etc.; Tell them to kiss it where the sun don't shine!! (Although your light could shine there :huh2: )

So keep buying lights, if thats what you want to do. Wives, girlfriends, friends, drinkin buddies, priests, preachers, moms, dads, uncles, aunts, bank tellers, bagboys, nurses, Dr's, bosses, and everyone else has their own opinions. Thats great. Do what you want to do. That is why you work!!! To buy what the fudge you want!!!

Keep on buying lights, wether it is for need or want, you need it. :rock:

-PSM

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's mostly want, not need. I figure I actually only NEED a few lights. One on my keychain, one in each car, and one or two general purpose lights.
But it's fun having high-tech gadgets that are ahead of the curve, lights that make people say "WOW, that's bright!" Everyone has a vice, and my vice is collecting and playing with flashlights.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife always laughs about the light thing. One weekend a cousin came from Tn. and wanted a Mag modded for someone. I also ask my Wife to give up a little plastic keychain LED light and she was like, no way! I had to laughed at her for that. :crackup:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Mine is extreme want that turns into perceived need. I could use the Maglites I already had, plus a few other low cost lights and never think twice.

I do use lights for work, and the adjustable LED have proven quite an advancement for me. And having small incans that throw like big D Mags is good too. All might come in handy in a power outage.

I don't feel like I'm a "collector" just yet, but the more I buy, the closer I get. The variety of different type lights amazes me, and where it's going intrigues me.

I've seen some 3-4K lights since I started coming here. But even so, it's still a cheaper hobby than night vision. And more practical. Besides, it's fun and escapism for me. Some people get that from travelling, hunting, fishing or frequenting night clubs, etc. At least my lights won't get me DWI.

In short I do have too many lights, and I ain't done yet. :laughing:

p.s. I wonder how many Flashaholics were at one time afraid of the dark? :sssh:

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely WANT. :) Also, whats Mr Bulk's chameleon? Ive been out for a few weeks due to studies...

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep there are defenitely more expensive hobbies out there. I like the creative part of coming up with something new. However I notice that this flashlight thing keeps growing, first it was just reading posts here as a guest, then reading them and commenting on them, then modding a ligth, now producing a custom light, wonder what's next.... actually I know it already... another light but different and more involved....

rikvee

Enlightened
For years I got by with one MiniMag (blown globes) and a 2C Eveready (flat bats), and a Solitaire (jammed) on a keychain.
It may be a want, but I love my ARC-LS, my FM 2 1/2C and the terribly cute 1AA MiniMag.
The whole lot runs on rechargeables, and it all works!
Somehow I now "need" about a dozen lights, while before I got by with just one that worked....
'probably just brainwashed myself, but it feels good, so I'll keep doing it...

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Mags said:
Also, whats Mr Bulk's chameleon?

BB-5.jpg

BB-2.jpg

www.flashlight-forums.com

-PSM

widgnwhacker

Newly Enlightened
I don't need alot of things I have multiples of but, I have them. So I guess in saying that I just want most of the things I buy, although my flashlights get lots of good use. Now that denial has set in, my name is Jeff and I am a FLASHAHOLIC :rock:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The majority of my lights are need...
-Surefire 6P (HOLA), Dorcy super 1 watt (3xAAA) and Princeton Tec EOS in my vehicle covers almost any need there from power to runtime to handsfree for repairs.
-Brinkmann Legend LX, Dorcy super 1 watt and Princeton Tec Aurora in the wife's car. Same deal as above.
-Surefire L2, Gerber LX 3.0 and a couple of "red led blinkies" that clip on our belts for the evening walks.
-MagCharger (was a need when I was a cop)
-Gerber Infinity Ultra (lives in my camera bag along with a red filter)
-River Rock .5 watt (current EDC)
-PAL lights (One on each nightstand)
----------------------
Lights I bought because I wanted them...
-River Rock 2xAA
-River Rock 2xC
-River Rock Lantern (I really like this lantern!)
-Inova 2xAAA (now also sits on my nightstand because it's brighter than the PAL)

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
Definitely need. I'm a pipefitter,often working in very dark,enclosed areas,and the G2 has displaced my old maglite completely. It also functions as a pointer, in tracing out overhead pipes and lines,and pinpointing problems up there by the roof. It proved its worth last summer when a 4 inch sprinkler line developed a leak 50 feet up by the roof,in an area of almost total darkness. Two of us climbed up an access ladder with water pouring down,up to a platform where the leak was. I had the SF on a lanyard around my neck, and held it in the blast of the water,so the other guy could get an emergency patch on it. Of course,the brilliant beam cut through all the water,so he could see what he was doing. (gee,doesn't this sound like an ad for SF?:whistle: ) . Good flashlights are an essential tool for me.

WDR65

Enlightened
Mine started out of a need for good, reliable lights for hunting/fishing and various outdoor activities. Also the number of hurricanes my area went through in the past 10 years or so and how often the power goes out makes it important to have good lights. Now I buy more than I need, but....I also loan a bunch out as it never ceases to amaze me how somebody can go hunting in the winter when it gets dark at 5:30 or earlier and not have any light at all so if they shoot something or get turned around in the woods they have nothing to see with. So, having a few extra doesn't hurt at least not so far. I guess I'm saying that I have a need and then there is the want factor.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My user lights are based on need. A few nice ones, and a couple not-so-nice ones.

My actual collection (police lights) is purely want, but not expensive. Good thing I don't want to collect SFs or customs, I'd go broke.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I want a new light so I can use it when needed. :p :crazy:

Seriously, most of them are "want" buys, but ultimately I'm look for lights that serve my needs. Trouble (?) is, it usually takes 3-5 (more) lights until I find the one that really fits the bill. And then, the company comes out with an upgraded version, and it's back to the drawing board. It's all their fault, you see. :)

hburner

Enlightened
I would say a there is a need for a good flashlight but there is always a want for a better one!! EX. I have 1 US, 2 Strions, and 1 XT but when I have to go under the house or in the insulation blown attic I will reach for the old "cheapo" I bought at wal-mart for $5.00 because I don't want to get my Streams dirty. My wife gets a kick out of that.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
My first post:

Ok i gotta say that when i ran across this forum 2 days ago my mind was put at ease. My wife thinks i'm a "flashlight homer". Everywhere we go if i see a flashlight display i always have to stop and browse. I can't explain my affinity for flashlights so it was like having a therapy session when i found this forum and realized i was not alone in my quest for illumination tools.

I must tell you the thread where everyone posts their flashlight collection completely blew me away. I mean, i have about 20 flashlights and thought i was in serious need of intervention but some of you folks have exceedeed the threshold for flashlight fanaticism. :wow:

But i know i'm in the right place. The amount of knowledge on this forum for helping in purchasing decisions is amazing. Knowledge is power.

Now i realize i'm not alone. :thanks: