What lights are on your radar in {2024}?

Buff

Enlightened
So are the Olight batteries non removable? It is really hard to get an answer.
I am seriously considering the Arkfeld Pro 1300lu flat flashlight with the laser and UV all in one light.
It looks like a lot of fun. And it's a very different animal. Anyone have one ?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Olight,Fenix,Malkoff. Still deciding.
On the Olight specifically the Baton series. What do you mean proprietary batteries? If it uses for example a 18650 can't you use any 18650? The batteries are removable or are they not?
Proprietary batteries can mean a couple of things. Sometimes it refers to a fuel cell that is capable of super duper high drain to actually achieve the ridiculous output claimed. Other times it's like a special shaped battery in order to fit in a given product be it flashlight, SLR camera or a cellular phone etc.

I have a light made by Rofus that claimed it could put out 700 lumens using "their" proprietary 1aa sized battery. It probably will but it puts out all of the light I need from a regular AA battery.

Hopefully that helps answer the question.

If you seek a fairly reliable, fairly bright light Fenix is a good value (think Orient watch). For cutting edge tech with at times questionable reliability the Olight brand is ok. (Think Invicta). For the most durable product but not cutting edge output the Malkoff is the way to go. (Think Seiko or Citizen).

Another way to look at it. If you want to light up the side of a mountain Olight and Fenix. If you drop said flashlight off the side of a mountain and it rolls to the bottom into a river, the Malkoff is the one to have.

Last edited:

Buff

Enlightened
Some answers thanks. My concern is you are stuck with a battery that when it's kaput the light is done. I suppose like IPhone over a few years the battery won't hold the best charge and it can be replaced by a pro tearing the phone apart

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What do you mean proprietary batteries? If it uses for example a 18650 can't you use any 18650?
No. If a battery is referred to as "Proprietary," doesn't matter if it's also an 18650 or a 21700. If you want your specific model of flashlight from brand X to work, you have to use the specific 18650 or 21700 battery that brand X made for that specific model. Any old generic battery from any brand that is the same size, yeah; those won't work in that specific flashlight.
The batteries are removable or are they not?
Depends on the flashlight model. For example, on my Nitecore P10iX, the battery is proprietary. But, I can remove it from the flashlight if the battery gets deleted after use. If I only have that one proprietary battery, I can toss it on an external charger and wait.... or, if I bought a 2nd proprietary battery separately; I can just swap the depleted one for the fresh one and immediately go back to using my P10iX. Many years from now, if that battery gets discontinued by Nitecore, I'm screwed! Eventually my proprietary batteries will get old, won't be able to hold a charge. And then my P10iX becomes a really ugly but interesting light-weight Paper-weight. (You also have the option of charging the battery directly from the flashlight with a charging cable.)

But that's far better than having a light with a Captive Proprietary battery. Not only is the battery proprietary, but it is completely, physically sealed inside the flashlight. For example, the Nitecore EDC 33 model. (No, I don't own that one.) With something like that, you can't buy an extra proprietary battery. So, if your light dies on you during an Emergency, you have two options. Pull out another light with fully charged batteries in it, and use that one. Or, very politely ask the Emergency for a Time-Out! Go, charge up the flashlight for however many hours you need to. Come back, then let the Emergency know that it can resume whatever it was doing before your light died on you. Be sure to ask politely though. Good manners are important.

Yeah, I despise lights that have Captive Proprietary batteries inside of them. Personally speaking, I think this is an idiotic concept. And, I'm disgusted that it exists in the industry. Also, even if you never encounter an Emergency situation where the battery in your light shuts off because it doesn't have enough juice; one guess what's going to happen if that captive battery malfunctions.... Time to buy a new flashlight! Or, when the battery gets old and can no longer hold a charge. Won't even matter if brand X still makes that model. There's literally no way to swap in a new Proprietary battery into your light. You'll be stuck still having to buy a new light.

The lifespan is even more horrendously worse than a light that just has a Proprietary battery. At least there, you can buy extra Proprietary batteries soon after having bought the light, and expand its lifespan longer. The only nice thing is that with a Captive Proprietary battery, you don't need an external charger since you have to charge up the light directly.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
. Or, very politely ask the Emergency for a Time-Out! Go, charge up the flashlight for however many hours you need to. Come back, then let the Emergency know that it can resume whatever it was doing before your light died on you. Be sure to ask politely though. Good manners are important.
Sound advice lol. For real though this is why you keep an old MagLite or Streamlight Scorpion around along with some spare bulbs and a bunch of batteries. Like a .30 cal ammo can full of them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sound advice lol. For real though this is why you keep an old MagLite or Streamlight Scorpion around along with some spare bulbs and a bunch of batteries. Like a .30 cal ammo can full of them.
It's also why I always have 3 lights on me, and one larger one in my Work-bag.

emac77

Newly Enlightened
So are the Olight batteries non removable? It is really hard to get an answer.
I am seriously considering the Arkfeld Pro 1300lu flat flashlight with the laser and UV all in one light.
It looks like a lot of fun. And it's a very different animal. Anyone have one ?
Arkfield batteries are not replaceable. Olight 18650 and 21700 batteries are replaceable in the lights that use them but only with another Olight proprietary battery.

Buff

Enlightened
Well like the iphone is the Arkfeld with i assume is the captive battery. I have 6 year old iphone (7) even a 6 and they still charge and though they don't hold the charge like they used to they still hold. But you kinda wanna a light to last longer than 5 years. I have initiated a Arkfeld launch and radar says it will arrive tomorrow. If i get 5 years out of an $80 light i'm good.

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
Olight has a lifetime warranty on their lights if purchased after Jan 2023. That includes the sealed batteries inside the Arkfeld Pro. This is an excerpt from their warranty page: "If you purchased an Olight® product from the USA after January 1st, 2023, the local service centers will honor your LIFETIME WARRANTY for your purchase. If your Olight product (including its structure, built-in battery, LED, or lens) ever experiences any issues, we promise to take care of it."

kbark2

Newly Enlightened
Depends on the flashlight model. For example, on my Nitecore P10iX, the battery is proprietary. But, I can remove it from the flashlight if the battery gets deleted after use. If I only have that one proprietary battery, I can toss it on an external charger and wait.... or, if I bought a 2nd proprietary battery separately; I can just swap the depleted one for the fresh one and immediately go back to using my P10iX. Many years from now, if that battery gets discontinued by Nitecore, I'm screwed! Eventually my proprietary batteries will get old, won't be able to hold a charge. And then my P10iX becomes a really ugly but interesting light-weight Paper-weight. (You also have the option of charging the battery directly from the flashlight with a charging cable.)

P10IX can run on Cr123a batteries. So if they ever quit making the special battery it won't become a paper weight.

fuyume

Enlightened
I don't really have any lights on my wishlist at the moment for 2024. I'm pretty good with the lights I have, since I bought my Nitecore LA10 CRI (when did I get that? a couple of months ago? over the holidays?).

I have my Fenix PD36 TAC for my bicycle supplementary headlamp that can double as a Very Bright Light, should I need one. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for now.
I have my Nitecore EC11 for my EDC in my handbag. It's also not perfect, but it's also good enough for now.
I have my Fenix E12 v2.0 handheld and HM23 headlamp, and my Nitecore LA10 CRI lantern, for camping.
I have my old EDC, the Nite-Ize Inova X1 I never really liked, in the pen cup on my kitchen table for use around the house.

I have all my other old flashlights I don't use anymore, including my even older EDC, my Leatherman Serac S3, which is still a fine light (if I could buy CR123As at a reasonable price), plus an Olight i3 AAA and a Nitecore keychain light that I got as freebies from B&H Photo when I ordered my two Nitecores, which are both still in the package waiting for me to fob them off on an unsuspecting friend.

Maybe I'll get another Cat Eye bicycle light. I kind of like the Auto Rapid 3 tail light I have. But, they are kind of expensive for what they are.