“MYO” and “MYO Belt” Headlamps RECALL

hopkins

Enlightened
That a great solution and so simple I would not have thought of it.
Californian world view...
Do you have a picture of where the fuse is? Can it be replaced once the short
circuit condition is repaired? Or are you supposed to toss the $80 headlamp?

Last edited:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
No sorry, I do not have any of these new ones nor any pictures of the fuse in them. I knew they were going to have a fuse based on a email with a MEC employee and what they posted on mec.ca site.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
myoxpkabelte0.jpg

The wire from a three years old Myo XP that I get for the repair & mod.

shadow745

Banned
This is definitely true. Years ago I was heavily involved with R/C cars and rechargeables are definitely capable of putting out the amperage at a much higher/faster rate than alkalines, regardless of voltage. Later!

likeguymontag

Enlightened
Energizer e2 Lithium (L91) can supply the current necessary for the problem too!

The datasheet for Energizer L91s actually says that the cells include a thermistor that warms up and restricts current to about 2A depending on environmental conditions.

Illum

Flashaholic
2 amps through a copper fray wire could still start a decent sized blaze, especially if theres more than just plastic around:ohgeez:

Mike_C

Newly Enlightened
Hopkins - how did you repair?

Hoopkins - could you elaborate on your repair..what exactly did you do (obviously you rplaced the wires but how did you do that and with what materials?

Also - I just recently (unfortunately...) bought the MYOXP on sale somewhere after reccommendation from friend and only then read up on it...it turns out that they also claim you cannot use Li (either recharge or primary) ...??? This really hinders cold weather usage!
Is this connected to the short circuit issue and the recall?...on their website they talk about how it can burn the LED - what mechanism would make that happen?

I have heard people using them with Li and still working - does anyone care to comment? will using Li cells that have internal protection limit the problem?

disclaimer - i'm new here so maybe these questions have been answered before. Sorry

Mike

likeguymontag

Enlightened
Re: Hopkins - how did you repair?

Also - I just recently (unfortunately...) bought the MYOXP on sale somewhere after reccommendation from friend and only then read up on it...it turns out that they also claim you cannot use Li (either recharge or primary) ...??? This really hinders cold weather usage!
Is this connected to the short circuit issue and the recall?...on their website they talk about how it can burn the LED - what mechanism would make that happen?

I have heard people using them with Li and still working - does anyone care to comment? will using Li cells that have internal protection limit the problem?

The Myo XP may have multiple brightness modes, but unfortunately it isn't current regulated. If you use cells with a higher voltage than the alkalines for which it was apparently designed, then you'll have more current through the LED, more light out the front, and... more heat. You could probably use lithium cells quite safely if you restricted your use of high mode to short bursts. Also, there's the short circuit issue with frayed wiring. Just watch out for cracks in the insulation and you'll be fine.

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
Mike,

I can't recall where it is, but if you do a search here for the myoxp (grey version), there were a couple of users that modified their battery packs to work with a 2AA lithiums. They even posted pics.

I modded a 4AA Battery pack to work, when out riding my bike. The mod was pretty easy and completely reversible.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the $$$ saved from poor cables measurable? :thinking:

Because I have another example: bought a used Citroen Xantia Break in summer ...
while reading the typical "errors" of this car, I came to the cables at the back door (and one already not working taillight)
--> checked the cables
left: out of 6 cables, all had the plastic cracked and wires exposed, one was broken completely
right: out of 12 cables, all had the plastic cracked and wires exposed, two were broken

The guys at the shop told me better to change them by myself with better cables (which I did), because they would "just" use the original ones - which they give 2 years for 1st problems - and at least 2 hours working time

Probably there is a price difference for better cables, but is it this much? Maybe for a car manufacturer, but for a headlamp maker?

tnuckels

Enlightened
In an attempt to better understand the MYO XP "recall" (Product Safety Alert) go HERE, scroll to post #88 and read. Hopefully :poke: others will have constructive subsequent posts as well.

Moderators, please go easy on me for 1. this double post 2. making a post with the express intention of pointing to another post. I'm just trying to be helpful and this is the best way I see to accomplish it.lovecpf

Last edited: