3 Way Review- U2, Gladius, Striker-VG

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real World Review - 3 Way Review- U2, Gladius, Striker-VG

ZeSpectre's "Real World Reviews"

Three Way Shoot-Out
Surefire "U2", Night-Ops "Gladius", LEDLogic "Striker-VG"
Written 0601.17

I would like to thank the anonymous donor of the U2 Passaround for their generosity. I would also like to thank Taiji for loaning me his personal Striker-VG when the passaround schedules didn't match up.

Initial Impression(s)

Surefire "U2"

The U2 felt very solid and well constructed. I was surprised by the size of the head as it was much larger than I expected. The combination of clip, large head, dial, and short body made the overall balance a little awkward in my hands. The dial control was nicely tight and took more effort to turn than I expected but I felt that this was a good thing as the light is unlikely to change levels in a pocket or backpack. There was something subtle about the "clicky" switch on the tailcap that made me dislike it almost immediately. I wish I had a more scientific reason for that feeling but I don't. Regardless I was left feeling like that switch could be the big weak point of the light although it gave me no trouble while in use. The beam was a nice broad flood with a mild doughnut hole in the center, but doughnut holes don't bother me unless they are extremely severe. High level was very bright and low level was still too darn bright (as noted all over the place here at CPF). Beam tint was acceptable though faintly green and became more green as the light level is lowered.

Night-Ops "Gladius"

In spite of my initial concerns about the plastic switch/control mechanism on the tailcap, I have found the Gladius to be a very solid and well constructed light. The design is pretty bland and is saved from being boring by the "star lug" on the end cap which breaks up the lines. I initially thought that "star lug" was going to be annoying but have found with use that the whole light combines into one well-balanced package that is easy to use and easy to retain in the hand. I have become very fond of the design and method of operation of the tail switch/control ring with the notable exception of setting the tailcap lockout. I still think it is too easy to lock the light ON vs. locking it off like you want. I have heard people comment on the long "throw" of the Gladius switch. Having handled a U2 I now understand the comments but I personally like the feel of the Gladius switch. The beam is a fairly focused spot with a decent amount of side spill and a nice pattern. High level is very bright and low level is extremely low (which is good). Beam tint is basically white with a slightly blue element and stays consistent as the light is dimmed.

LEDLogic "Striker-VG"

The Striker is also well constructed and felt durable. The long thin body makes the large head seem even larger by comparison. This light is reasonably balanced (surprising considering the relatively huge head stuck on the end) but the coating makes the surface slightly slick it really needs provisions for anti-roll and some sort of lanyard to help retention. The switch seems of good quality but I disliked the lack of feedback and I REALLY disliked the way the operational modes are currently programmed (although I am told that LEDLogic is changing the programming). The beam is a very tight spot with almost no side spill. High level is extremely bright (eye-searing comes to mind) and low is still too bright for such a concentrated beam. Beam tint was white and stayed white as the light is dimmed.
==============================================================
Poor Man's IS Meter Reading(s) (uncalibrated sensor, these reading are just for comparison purposes). EDC60 and L2 added for comparison.

HDS EDC 60 Basic
Lowest: 00.34
Highest: 44.80

Surefire L2
Lowest: 12.50
Highest: 102.80

Surefire U2
Lowest: 04.61
Highest: 68.50

Night-Ops Gladius
Highest: 61.00

Striker-VG
Lowest: 02.08
Highest: 61.05

Real World (Evening Walk) Commentary.

The evening walk takes place over a 2 mile loop. It begins on a well lit and well paved street, proceeds into a dimly lit neighborhood, then through an unlit trail (which is mostly cleared on one side but heavily overgrown on the other), back into another dimly lit neighborhood, and finally back to well lit streets/sidewalks. There isn't any location on our walk where I can see more than about 150 yards in a straight line but on a clear evening, with more or less dark adapted eyes, I have settled on a series of targets to judge performance.

#1) White 4x4 inch marker sign with red lettering from 10 yards away (through dense undergrowth).

#2) A light grey mailbox from 30 yards away.

#3) Light green phone company marker post with yellow lettering (4in wide by 3 ft tall) from 30 yards away (through dense undergrowth).

#4) Dark red brick chimney from 50 yards away. (Can I distinguish the top edge)

#5) Stand of brown tree-trunks from 65 yards away (Can I see all five trees)

#6) County storage shed from 100 yards away (trying to clearly light up the back wall).

Surefire "U2"

The U2 is a flooder much like the L2. You still get some throw because it puts out so much light on high, but because of the floodlight effect the light was essentially a failure on targets #1 and #3 where it just lit up the intervening undergrowth rather than "punching through". I also found it annoying to have to keep "flipping" the light to go from tailcap switch to brightness control when operating the light one-handed. I noted that the U2 on high got hotter and did so faster than either of the other two lights. I don't know if this is because the light actually runs hotter or because it has more effective heat sinking. On the other hand the overall light coverage was excellent for close/medium range use and gave a very high degree of confidence when used on the broken/dirt terrain of the unlit trail segment. The light was excellent for targets #2, #4, and #5 though it didn't quite have enough throw to light the back wall of #6.

Night-Ops "Gladius"

The Gladius is mostly designed for a controlled throw. There is a usable amount of side spill but you tend to get some of the "follow the bouncing ball" effect from the sharp hotspot. This is especially obvious during the broken/dirt terrain of the unlit trail segment where I felt a need to slow up a bit and more carefully scan my footing before proceeding. On the positive side, the balance, retention, and single hand operation of the Gladius are first rate and due to it's strong "punch through" the light did a fine job of illuminating all distance targets. The strobe mode is, well, really damned irritating. But that is a compliment, it's supposed to be irritating and distracting and it does a pretty good job! My initial comment about the concentrated beam may sound harsh but in fact I really like the Gladius and consider it my preferred "do it all" light.

LEDLogic "Striker-VG"

The Striker is designed for throw…period. Side spill is almost non-existent and trying to use the light up close (even dimmed down) is pretty harsh. The very sharp hotspot causes severe "follow the bouncing ball" effect and was actually a little disconcerting on the broken/dirt terrain of the unlit trail segment where I found myself slowing to a crawl to carefully inspect my footing. I really wanted a lanyard attached to the Striker because the finish is a little slick though the effect isn't as bad as it would be if the light had a tailcap switch. While the "modes" were easy enough to operate while fiddling around on the walk, under a stress situation I think the current configuration would cause problems. Okay, those are the negatives…BUT…. Holy COW the throw on this light is amazing! This light punched effortlessly through the undergrowth at targets #1 and #3, covered #2,#4, & #5 and lit #6 up so bright I could clearly see the tools (rakes, shovels and so forth) racked up against the back wall! The strobe is okay but I think it would be more effective if they slowed the rate down just a bit (forcing your eyes to run through their full range).

Summary and final comments.

U2 for close to medium, Gladius for medium to far, Striker for far (to really, really far <grin>). All three lights are very nice, On a personal level I found a few items with the U2, namely beam tint and the odd feel of the tailcap switch, to be very disappointing for a light at that price point. In terms of use it was fine though. The Gladius seemed to hit the best overall compromise for "any situation" type use and has my favorite switch/control design. The Striker is a good product now and I'm sorely tempted to buy one just as a WOW light, but I think it has a little maturing to do such as adding a lanyard, re-arranging the control modes, and adding an optional diffuser.

Beamshots

2006_7354_10D.jpg

Gladius, Striker, U2, Mini-Maglight

2006_7349_10D.jpg

2006_7347_10D.jpg

2006_7343_10D.jpg

U2, Striker, Gladius

2006_7328_10D.jpg

U2, Striker, Gladius

Last edited:

Xygen

Enlightened
Very nice review. Thank you very much! I really like your practical point of view and the comments about your subjective impressions.
I own a Gladius too and take part in the U2 passaround!

rscanady

Enlightened
That is a great review,I have handled both the Gladius and U2 , but not the stryker and this is exactly what I was looking for to compare them, thanks again.

Ryan

taiji

Enlightened
Thanks Zespectre! that was a very well thought out and excellent review.

In my e-mail exchanges with Ledlogic the following changes are coming about.

1 - the HA coating will be improved.
2 - switch function revamped ; slower dimming, full momentary function
3 - a more intense strobe ( I do not know what that entails)

a provision for a lanyard would be nice but, oh well. I really like this light as I am a throw junkie.
taiji

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the compliments. For all of the reviews I write I try to give a sense of the real-world useability of the equipment. Sometimes I get some real surprises. The U2 is a perfect example. Indoors and/or on a cleared trail it's a great light but I sure wouldn't want to use it on an SAR operation in heavy undergrowth.

Hrmmmm, that makes me think. Maybe I should have included an indoors section to the reviews as well. Too late for it now but I'll have to keep that in mind for future reviews

NextLight

Enlightened
Great review; Simple, practical, ... and my favorite, your experience mirrors mine!

I sometimes use a piece of hankerchief or more often a Kleenex tissue diffuser, rubber banded over my Gladius for trails, emergency medical, reading, etc.

Where the Gladius really "shines" is in use with a major caliber handgun where one needs both hands.

atm

Enlightened
Excellent review thanks Zespectre, your real-world analysis has made my mind up for me as to which of these is best for my needs.

:thanks:
Andrew

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review. I thought the beamshots especially illuminating. Your comments about difficulty in following a dark trail with Gladius and Striker are one of the reasons I am pleased with my U2.

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
I realize L2 and HDS 60 are not really being compared here, but I am really suprized that at highest setting L2 is 2.5 times the light output? Does that make sense?

HDS EDC 60 Basic

Surefire L2

Luna

Enlightened
iocheretyanny said:
I realize L2 and HDS 60 are not really being compared here, but I am really suprized that at highest setting L2 is 2.5 times the light output? Does that make sense?

HDS EDC 60 Basic

Surefire L2

What is odd to me is that the L2 blows away the U2. My U2 (with upgraded emitter and LG2400s) scores the same as the L2 in a ceiling bounce, on level 4 :). Before the emitter swap, the U2 on Level5 matched the L2. Just to put than into perspective, my L2 scores 20% higher than my gladius.

Just so you know, I say 'my' alot in this just to prove there is no owner bias. I love all three lights.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
What is odd to me is that the L2 blows away the U2. My U2 (with upgraded emitter and LG2400s) scores the same as the L2 in a ceiling bounce, on level 4 :). Before the emitter swap, the U2 on Level5 matched the L2. Just to put than into perspective, my L2 scores 20% higher than my gladius.

Just so you know, I say 'my' alot in this just to prove there is no owner bias. I love all three lights.

The only response I have is that since doing this shootout I have seen U2's that were brighter than the model I had at the time. Also I'm not entirely sure the sensor I used had a linear response to increasing light levels so there may also be some error introduced there. The only real point to the metered levels was to show that the lights tested all had roughly similar "photon allotments" but that they did radically different things with the photons they had available.

Luna

Enlightened
zespectre said:
The only response I have is that since doing this shootout I have seen U2's that were brighter than the model I had at the time. Also I'm not entirely sure the sensor I used had a linear response to increasing light levels so there may also be some error introduced there. The only real point to the metered levels was to show that the lights tested all had roughly similar "photon allotments" but that they did radically different things with the photons they had available.

Your result concur with Quickbeams though. I just hate it though :)

My light is one of the earlier ones and pumps out 800 'something' milliamps. It is possible that the newer ones were dropped down to the typical 660 to 700ma but nobody has ever posted the measured current the emitter other than me. Maybe the 80lm lights were derated???

Trust me though, you definately notice a difference between the Gladius (or L2) and the U2 I have in my possession. There is that big of a difference. My U2 is closer to the Ultrastinger in output, just a hair less. What is even worse is that I'm using a flat uncoated mineral glass window on my u2 since someone cracked the stock one. This is possibly costing me about 10%

Latest posts