Lets try to Identify the G90s... picts!

mdocod

Flashaholic
Ok... I'm starting this thread is hopes that we can come to a consensus about what G90s are "High-Pressure" and which ones are not... I'll start by posting some pictures of my lamp.

Purchased from Blackrifles, this is "supposedly" a high pressure version.

package.jpg

reflector1.jpg

reflector2.jpg

lamp1.jpg

lamp2.jpg

lamp3.jpg

bulb1.jpg

bulb2.jpg

This lamp draws ~1.2 amps from 2x17670 protected li-ion sold by AW. It seems very impressivally bright, but I have no comparison lamps in the same class to judge it by...

if anyone would care to contribute pictures to this thread, in hopes that we can come up with a way to identify what G90s are what, it would be awsom..

hope this comes in helpfull!

PS: please include current draw on your setup, seems there is a lot of variation, some people are around 800ma, others are around 1.3A and lots inbetween.

Delvance

Enlightened
Here we go!

Purchased from lighthound.com

G&P G90 "high pressure"... powered from 2 unprotected 123's. Very bright and white, when the voltage sags a bit, it loses a little whiteness (but still very white lol) and easily crushes my Peli M6 lithium with UCL. When batt's are fresh, it makes my ROP feel...well not like a ROP :thinking: . ~8600 lux fresh batts. When batts are half drained, about 6000 lux.

Measured it to be pulling 1.11A, half drained batts.

GP1.JPG

GP2.JPG

Is that enough pics ? Feeling lazy tonight =P. The filament looks exactly the same as the Digilight one.

GP3.JPG

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my review of the Rico Alpha 9 lamp assembly, I linked to three photos (actually, scans) of a G&P G90 lamp:

G&P 9V lamp (left) vs. RICO Alpha 9:
photo 1
photo 2
photo 3

Unfortunately, I don't recall the source of my G90! It could have been my Digilight, my LEDWave Z-3, or the original G90 that came with my G90 flashlight. I think it was the original G90 (non-high-pressure), else I would have mentioned Digilight or LEDWave or High-Pressure.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Sweet, thanks so far!...

Delvance- looks like our G90s are about the same- drawing probably 1.2ish on fresh batts, and having very similar looking bulbs...

Pauls G90 looks to have a slightly longer bulb, how much current are you drawing Paul?

I'm thinking about buying a cheapo lux meter off ebay to play with, ehhe.

Delvance

Enlightened
Np :) .

My bulb looks exactly like yours mdocod! I charged the batteries up last night, and with fresh batts, it actually measured 10,000+ lux. I did fiddle with the reflector though. Also re-measured the amp draw, and it wassss 1.2A :)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
Pauls G90 looks to have a slightly longer bulb, how much current are you drawing Paul?
Sorry, I don't have a meter. I did notice that my Digilight G120 lamp that said HP had a longer bulb than at least one of my G90 lamps; I thought it was this one...which makes it odd that you think it looks longer than the others. Or it could be that the G120 glass is even longer.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
And here's the G90's home page, showing the familiar white characters on a black band, without "HP".

The page includes a nice shot of the stochastically textured reflector. Any chance that the stochastic reflector = high-pressure lamp?

mdocod

Flashaholic
hmmm, interesting possability...

maybe if we can get a photo of a G90 that someone knows was definetally sold as a non-HP to compare to. I still feel like the bulb in mine looks shorter than the ones on the G90 homepage, might just be all in my head... lol.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The black label on the outside of the reflector of the DRB-9VHP I purchased direct from Digilight does not match the label of the Digilight bulb shown in the first post.
Mine is labelled "DigiLight-9V-H.P.BULB" and matches the label shown on the Digilight web page for this lamp exactly.

Why would Digilight sell a lamp labelled G90 when they have their own DRB-9VHP?
Does Digilight source all of their high pressure bulbs from G & P and if so, did they accept the G90 labelled bulbs because the factory didn't have any Digilight labels left to put on them and Digilight needed to fill the backlogged orders?

Also, when I unscrew the lamp from the reflector, there is a pair of thinner o-rings instead of a single thicker one that's shown in the posted photo.

The area where the filament attaches to the posts is different also. On mine, the tiny spot where the filament end is welded to the side of the post is black and the 3 other sides of each post is spotlessly clean. In the second to last posted pic, both posts are clearly black on the 3 sides that can be seen and the blackening extends down 1/4 the length of the post.

These are minor differences, but still, they exist.

No matter how many times I check the current draw of this particular lamp, it still does not draw more than 855 milliamps.

mdocod

Flashaholic
my posts may be blackened because when I first started using it in my flashlight, I did a runtime test where I left the light on for 20-30 minuts at a time with cooling inbetween.. The long runtimes may have blackened the posts- the flashlight did get very hot.

The main thing that concerns me is this indiscrepancy between lamps... main concern is the variation in current draw-

LumenHound: what batteries is your G90 runnin on.... (though, it doesn't seem to effect much)... Delvance and me are getting 1.2A off completally different battery sizes.

I am now very tempted to order a G90 direct from digilight and compare, maybe I can clear this up once and for all..

Thus far I can say this based on the responces: I seems that the lamps that come direct from digilight, are the ones drawing ~0.85A, whereas G90s purchased anywhere else, seem to be drawing ~1.2A.... Does anyone have a senario that contradicts this?

more evidance of this... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/106334 -Lunarmodule purchased his G90 and G120 from blackrifles just like I did, and his is drawing ~1.2A also.. however, from his review, they still perform very well compared to surefire lamps.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
LumenHound: what batteries is your G90 runnin on.... (though, it doesn't seem to effect much)... Delvance and me are getting 1.2A off completally different battery sizes.

Given the difference in current draw, it seems to me that the Digilight DRB-9VHP I purchased from Digilight is not a re-badged G & P high pressure G90 but something else entirely.

When I tested current I used protected 123A sized cells, unprotected 123A sized cells, unprotected 18650's and fresh Battery Station CR123A primarys.

protected rechargeable 123A.......855 mA
unprotected rechargeable 123A....840 mA
unprotected 18650's...................850 mA
3 fresh Battery Station primarys...820 mA

I've now used 4 different multimeters to check this, the last meter being a 10 year old Fluke, and I get the same readings every time.

The lamp I have is much whiter and brighter than the 120 lumen Surefire P61 that I used to run on primarys.

I thought about calling Digilight a few weeks ago to ask about their bulb sources but I don't think they would want to divulge just how many bulb manufacturers they source from.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing, I've also done more than half a dozen 25-40 minute continuous run tests and the posts in my bulb are still not black like the posts in your bulb.

I wonder if a difference in the amount of pressure inside the glass envelope between these 2 bulbs would cause this?

mdocod

Flashaholic
The possability that the lamps direct from digilight are not G&P at all, is seeming more and more likally.... the only remaining thing to do it put them side by side and compare... I have another ultrafire on the way... it's for my father in law, he's also going to use it for delivering pizza (he does it part time as a second job for fun)... his is going to be 3 cell body run on 2x17500s, whereas mine is the 4 cell body run on 2x17670s... maybe in a few weeks when I have some more money i'll order a digilight lamp and compare them side by side... i can quickly press lamps into the head and swap back and forth, to make sure the battery size won't have too much effect... i really want to get to the bottom of this.

mdocod

Flashaholic
i'm going to contact digilight and see if they are willing to disclose information about whether or not their lamps are G&P lamps or not... and why certain resellers (blackrifles) might be selling lamps in a digilight package, that do not apear to be the same as their in-house veriety... maybe we can get some usefull information...

mdocod

Flashaholic
i am sending the following inquiry to digilight:

I am asking this question on bahalf of some of the members of the Candlepowerforums community and myself.

We are running into discrepancies between different lamp assemblies and are wondering what's "going on" behind the schenes...

for a long time, it has been assumed that the high pressure lamps sold by digilight and others are high pressure versions of the G&P G90 lamp... and now we are questioning if we are way off on that assumption..

See... Blackrifles.com sells a digilight lamp... they use the same "model number", and picture on their website as you, but upon recieving that lamp, I realized that it is not the same.. mine did come in a digilight package, but that is where the similarities end. Your 9V lamp, draws 0.85amp(tested by members on CPF who purchased the lamp direct from you), and the one being sold at blackrifles and other sellers of G90s draws 1.2amps(as verified by many tests conducted by members on CPF). The lable wrapped around the lamp is also different... your picture shows "9V H.P." on the lamp, the blackrifles version has "G90 9V LAMP" on the actual lamp... There is no indication of the lamp I purchased from blackrifles being anything like your own lamp, even though it came in a digilight package.

So, here's the thing- if you lamp truly is something different, (more efficiant).. Then informing us of the difference would serve to route a large number of recomendations in the direction of lamps purchased directly from you, rather than anywhere a G90 can be had...

Any help would be greatly apreciated in this matter of solving the G90/digilight puzzle.

I'll post their responce if i get one.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your sure to get their attention with that enquiry. Let's hope the powers that be at Digilight are willing to shed some light on the subject.

I went back and checked a few notes I made about the DRB-9VHP.
I discovered that the longest run on the bulb was done with the pair of AW's unprotected 18650's I have. I ran the bulb for 90 minutes straight. (The 18650's were new and I was trying to put a few cycles on them before the ROP bulbs arrived)

My notes show that the batteries were at 8.36V before the run.
At the start of the run (1 minute in) current was 850 mA and voltage had sagged to 7.70V.

At 30 minutes: 810 mA/7.38V
At 60 minutes: 790 mA/7.13V
At 90 minutes: 780 mA/6.92V
I stopped the test after jotting down the 90 minute numbers.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I got two L.A.'s from Dan at Blackrifles. Both came In the digilite packages shown in the above pics.

Both were different.

One has the blue label on the reflector saying " G90 9V lamp"

The other says "Digilite xenon lamp"

I emailed Dan once I had recived them saying that I was unsure if they were the real deal 175 lumen lamps, as I had compared it to other SF lamps and It didn't look like 175 lumens.

He replied saying: ( I have removed some of the email as it regards other subjects)

All the lamps we sell are from DigiLight, either sold as the
DRB-9VHP
http://www.digilightusa.com/Catalog/product-detail.asp?pid=25

which is sold as the replacement bulb for the T9 (ie the same exact thing),
or pulled from T9s.

One of the two bulbs I shipped you came from Digilight as a DRB-9VHP, the
other was pulled from a new T9.

I have seen very few bulbs labeled "HP" on them from all of the T9s I've
pulled apart; the last 10 or so I pulled have all had the "Digilight Xenon
9V" yet all of them seem to give the same amount of light output.

One thing to remember is these bulbs are generally
"tighter" than SF; they will throw a lot farther, but not as wide. It's been
my observation that a wide beam is perceived as brighter than it really is,
and vice versa with a tight beam, particularly indoors.

If they're not the 175 lumen bulbs, then Digi has switched to the non-HP
bulbs in the T9 and not told anyone, something I really doubt they'd do. I
will email them and see what they say, and let you know.)

I haven't heard anything back from Dan yet.

If my opinion is anything to go buy, I think Dan Is a straight up guy!!!

He Is the ONLY company I have had any replys from regarding these bulbs, and I have tried emailing all of the suppliers mentioned in the various threads regarding the 175 lamps. None had the decency to reply. (BTW that realy gets on my nerves)

I am naturally a very suspicious guy :)
Some say that I analise things to much

But the one thing that Is still bugging me is; If one of my lamps was a direct pull, why was it in a digilite box/ packaging?

It could be a simple as Dan saved a box from another digilit bulb, that prehaps he used to build another flashlight, or whatever, as we both had concerns about possible damage in shipping to England. But The boxes both had the staples in them.

The staples can be easily removed and replaced, I've done that myself for the one I'm saving.
but why put the staple In if it was a direct pull? I suppose that It would look like a new product.

One way or another I'd also like to get to the bottom of this.

Unfortunatley my fluke has gone belly up and I cant get another untill I return to work so I cant measure what they are pulling.

Both my lamp look Identicle to the Pics above, although one of mine has the digilite xenon 9V label.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be funny if we all defected to Wolf Eyes later this month, when they introduce their P-compatible 200/220-lumen 9V D26 lamp assembly that draws the same current as their 130-lumen 9V?

Delvance

Enlightened
mdocod,

Thanks for inquiring on behalf of us here :grin2: .

As for a low current 220 lumen 9V lamp assembly...:popcorn:
Would it fit SF G2/6P etc lights ?