CR2 Ion vs. JIL 1.3W size comparo; beamshots added.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received a CR2 Ion and thought I would stick up a couple of pics with a JIL 1.3W for size comparison.

orb1.jpg

orb2a.jpg

orb3a.jpg

orb4a.jpg

A few quick thoughts. First, as with many small lights and knives, the Ion seems smaller in person than on the computer screen. Size, weight and feel are very close to the JIL 1.3W. There is noticeable battery rattle, but I think its lateral rather than longitudinal so wrapping the battery with paper or tape will probably cure it. The inner diameter of the tube is clearly bigger than the OD of the supplied Battery Station CR2. [Edited: I wrapped the battery with tape about 10 times around and that cured it].

Head is firmly seated on the tube and likely will not turn itself on in your pocket without your consent. It takes about 70% of a revolution to transition from low to high, and its definitely a flood.

When off, the LED is yellow and imparts what looks like a haze or fog to the reflector and lens. On closer examination, there is no fog. Its just the manifestation of the yellow LED inside the lens.

It is difficult to get the split ring to lay flat against the end of the tail. A slightly smaller ring would cure this. And the white lettering around the circumference of the body is slightly faded in spots. First impression of quality is pretty good but not excellent due to the foregoing (battery rattle, split ring, lettering fade). Not a dig - just an observation. :) This is quibbling, however, because I intend to use it and not stare at it. :nana:

Hard to tell in the daylight, but it seems to have a nice bright high and good useable low. The low will be nice for checking on the Powernoodle Progeny at night. I especially like the expected runtimes, both low and high.

So far so good. I like this thing. I'll like it even more when it gets dark. Nighttime observations to follow. :wave:

Beam shots added (my first, btw). All pics at same fixed camera setting:

IONLOWWALL.jpg

Ion on low, 6 feet from wall.

IONHIWALL.jpg

Ion on high, 6 feet from wall.

JILWALL.jpg

JIL 1.3W (up), 6 feet from wall.

L1P.jpg

Fenix L1P, 28 feet from bookcase.

JILHALL.jpg

JIL 1.3W (Up), 28 feet from bookcase.

IONHIHALL.jpg

Ion on high, 28 feet from bookcase. Notice that bookcase is not as bright. It has the JIL's spill, without the JIL's throw.

ION.jpg

Ion on low, 28 feet from bookcase.

Shots pretty much show what my eyeballs saw. That is, that Ion is floody (as advertised) with no discernable hot spot, whereas the JIL has a hot spot and associated throw, with spill. No low output on my JIL. I think the intelli flavor may, but I haven't gone that route.

The JIL is definitely brighter and more throwy (as evidenced by the hallway pics), but the Ion offers its adequate floody output and low output option. So take your pick. :)

peace

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
okay give me more info

Thanks Power. Thats what I was waiting for.

Any chance of you posting some beam shot pics comparing the Jil to the ION? Or how about to the Fenix L1P or other lights?

Can't wait to hear more. The only thing that confuses me is the split ring as this seems a rather large oversight.

I am hoping others that have their CR2 ION's will chime is as well.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Re: CR2 Ion vs. JIL 1.3W size comparo

Thanks for the pics power!!! Looks like a great looking light!!! I hope others that got theirs today chime in also. (Can't wait for mine, but meanwhile, I can enjoy yours!!!) Thanks folks!!! Doug:)

Bob_G

Enlightened

A few more pics for color and size reference with JIL 1.3 and McKinley brass for color (CR2 is aluminum bronze.) The PD is there to keep an eye on things.

CR2 Ion_206R.jpg

CR2 Ion_217R.jpg

CR2 Ion_221R.jpg

CR2 Ion_002R.jpg

The tint is about the same as a Peak Snow to me, but with so little spot, you don't notice the tint much. Nice low level. A little stiff in action - I relubed it with Krytox. It feels in the hand much smaller than the JIL, because it's smaller in circumference, which isn't really obvious in the pics. The split ring is stuck in the recess, haven't yet decided the best way to get it out without scratching something :)

Very nice on first impression.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great pics. I need to improve my photographic skills. Nature's woodland is a nicer backdrop than my bathroom counter. :nana:

peace

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast

powernoodle said:
There is noticeable battery rattle, but I think its lateral rather than longitudinal so wrapping the battery with paper or tape will probably cure it. The inner diameter of the tube is clearly bigger than the OD of the supplied Battery Station CR2. [Edited: I wrapped the battery with tape about 10 times around and that cured it].
I'm certain this is to ensure that RCR2s will fit inside. A lot of newer lights are being made this way. I used the tape trick on my Fenix and it works fine.

Bob_G

Enlightened

Thanks. The real story is I don't have a clue how to do indoor photos :) I can't get the light right or bright, and flash looks stupid with reflective subjects.

Xygen

Enlightened

Bob_G said:
Thanks. The real story is I don't have a clue how to do indoor photos :) I can't get the light right or bright, and flash looks stupid with reflective subjects.
Let the flash bounce off the ceiling or a white wall. You'll need a swivelling flash for this or you use a mirror in front of your flash.
Or you use something diffusing like a white sheet of paper.
I use the LumiQuest Promax for this.

colubrid

Enlightened

ditto on the nice pics!

The aluminum bronze version is the one I want to get. I would like to hear more than just how nice the exterior on this light is. I already beleive this is a very well made case and knurling. Instead, I would like to hear more about the overall function of this light. I decided this was a great looking light a while back when the first pics were released. I am hoping for some awesome powerful flood and a nice usable low setting for runtime.

So how bright is the flood?

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened

Oh, and is anyone else having problems with the split ring?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm glad to see that folks are finally getting these in. :) I'll leave the thread to the new owners, but will address what appears to be a recurring question in regards to the split ring.

The ring is fitted tightly in there, but should be reasonably easy to remove by using a key as a lever to pull it out, which was the method I'd assume most would use when attaching to a keychain. To put the ring back in it's best to start on one side of it, get it in, and then push the other side down after it. The ring is tight inside the recession to keep it secure - I don't think that folks are going to be taking it out and putting it back in all that often, since usually it's either on a set of keys, but whenever it's off I'm sure most don't want a keyring that easily falls out of its compartment when trying to tailstand the light.

All that said, I hope that most of the Ions have arrived today to happy owners, and that they may serve you well for many years to come. With luck the rest of the domestic orders will reach their destination tomorrow, and the international orders will be quick in their journey across the pond. :)

Take care folks.

-Enrique

Bob_G

Enlightened

More thoughts ...

I really like the split ring arrangement. It does three things - stays securely tucked up if not needed; allows tailstand while tucked; and allows tailstand when loose as well because of the recessed tab. Neat ...

One of my pet peeves is bezel artifacts, and the CR2 has virtually none, so that's amazing for me, considering how recessed the reflector is. And of course being a reflectored design, you don't get all that beam weirdness that a multi 5mm light would have.

I compared it for brightness (by eye) to a 3LED Matterhorn HP on a lithium. The "spot" of the Peak seemed about the same (a little less really) as the overall beam of the CR2, but the CR2 puts that light over an area about 4 times the diameter. The CR2 is much whiter to the eye in use than the Peak as well.

The other small lights I have all have some sort of added grip enhancement device (o-rings, chair legs ends, plastic tubing) but the CR2, smaller than any of them, doesn't need anything. It's amazing how well it works in the hand (I'm picky.)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, you guys are really trying to seperate me from $145 :( ;).

I posted this in the main Ion thread, but since this one is about size comparison picts, I figured I'd ask here too:

Would one of you gents with an Ion mind posting a pic of the light next to an Arc AAA (I assume you've got one of those...right?).

Thanks in advance :).

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

awesome thread!

I think the little you lose with having a larger diameter in the Jil you make up a LOT in throw... personally... an EDC light needs to have throw and flood.. not just one...

I wonder how a runtime test would compare between the ion's low setting and a similar low lumen setting on the jil?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
In another thread, I think the Ion's high beam was found to be in the 65 - 80 minute range. Something like that. Pretty much the same as the JIL 1.3W - give or take. Maybe someone can elaborate.

peace

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone know how many lumens the low on the ion is? estimate?

colubrid

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
does anyone know how many lumens the low on the ion is? estimate?

I think I read somewhere that it was 15 lumens but I may be mistaken about that.

colubrid

Enlightened
Power,

Thanks for adding those beamshots on the top post. It gives me the first clear impression on what this light can really do.

Does anyone know the runtime on the Jil Up and the CR2-ION on high? I know the Jil is just one setting but I would like to see what the runtimes are for both on high.

Also I would like to add I do not use my Jil Up DD very much because the hotspot is to bright for most of my applications. I think that once people USE the ION its going to get even more popular than it is. And thats what the maker had in mind when designing this light. Its not a thrower and should not be compared to such lights. It is a everyday use light that has what seems to me, incredible user friendliness. It don't look bad either.

But I am still curious as to the runtime plots and brightness compared to other lights.