Is the Surefire E1L Outdoorsman any good?

wrf

Newly Enlightened
Current model (dual mode) E1L's are fine lights. Whether or not you will be happy with one depends on your expectations.

I like the ones I have, and my girlfriend likes the one I gave her. Mostly, we use these around house and auto, as outdoors I prefer nothing less than an E2L.

Having said that, my girlfriend used an older single mode E2L (KX2) outdoors for some time. On paper, the max output specs of the older E2L and the newer E1L high mode are the same, but to my eyes I perceive the E1L as brighter. So there is certainly nothing wrong with using the newer model E1L outdoors if it suits you.

As for my girlfriend, I gave her an Inova T2-MP late last year, and she likes it so much she offered to give me back the SF E2L I gave her previously! (Wow, didn't see that coming.)

The more experience and knowlege you have of these types of lights (what they can and cannot do, and why), the happier you are likely to be with them.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a bit better than the E1L Outdoorsman

It's brighter. Whether or not it's better partly depends on how much difference the 1.3 hours vs. 8.5 hours high settings matter to you. For me the E1L is 'better'.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Same here. Perceived brightness does not double from the E1L to the E1B, but runtime more than does. And runtime is the difference between having light available or not.

dcycleman

Enlightened
you cant go wrong, I have used single stage and dual stage outdoorsman lights and they all rock, built like a tank.

steveG

Enlightened
My E1L has served me very well. For me the balance between brightness and runtime is perfect. Occasionally I start to think I need more firepower (especially after using my E2DL for a while), but when I use the E1L again I'm quickly reminded about how great (and practical) a tool it really is.

I highly recommend it and can just about guarantee you won't be disappointed.

bjarki

Newly Enlightened
I was just thinking off having it my car or somthing like that :) it is almost dark here the hole day over the winter time :)
so just need a good light :)

hemix360

Newly Enlightened
Ive had my E1L for almost two weeks now and its an amazing little light my HDS 170T switch went bad so i found an E1L for $100 and its a nice light great runtime and the optic makes that 45 and 3 lumens reach. Spill is decent but it out throws my 170T and at 45 lumens thats impressive.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Great light! low is perfect for dinking around camp or in your tent. High is PLENTY bright in a dark dark forest. It has a good spot, but there is enough usefull spill for walking/hiking around at night. My original backpacking combo was a petzl tikka headlamp and a E2L with 30lm kl1 head. Even at 30 lumens it threw plenty well. I also picked up the 45lumen E2L 1st gen kx2 head, so it is the same output as yours.. it is a great camping/backpacking light.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. I like the small size. It slips into my pocket, has 2 levels (with a good low). The "high" isn't very high, but... it is usually enough for chores around the house. Mine has been highly reliable.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe that I have been aware of this little light for such a long time but never tried one till a couple of days ago. A fellow member answered my WTB and sold me one of his, a 2-stage light. I doctored it a bit: I added a piece of light amber Lee filter over the lens to bring the tint from cool to neutral, and then put on an F04 diffuser. The beam is very pleasing now, and I can only echo and agree with those who praised the E1L earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts