Fenix L1P/L2P Momentary Switch Question...

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've searched and not found an answer (though I'm not sayin' it ain't out there...).

Is it possible to turn a 'reverse' clickie such as is found in the Fenix lights (or my Nuwai Q3, for that matter) into a simple 'momentary-on' switch? I know that people are constantly trying to make a 'tactical' clickie on some lights with some successes, but I'd be happy enough with a twist-on with momentary-on function, like the old Surefires.

It seems to me that it would be a simple enough job to de-activate the 'clickie...ness' of a clickie and make it a simple momentary, but I'm no modder...not on lights yet, anyway...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

-John

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could always turn it on and twist it till it turns off then use it for a momentary that way.

savumaki

Enlightened
I have asked this question or a similar one several times; WHY is a momentary on switch not possible? ALL my usage (or at least 95%) is just that, "momentary on". I do not need 2-3 stages with varying levels of light for a momentary usage; on the contrary its a PIA to have to turn my Fenix or Q3 on and just about as quickly turn it off ! It has to be hard on the switch.

Oh well, I'll keep waiting in the hopes someone will come up with one.

blastjv said:
Hello,

I've searched and not found an answer (though I'm not sayin' it ain't out there...).

Is it possible to turn a 'reverse' clickie such as is found in the Fenix lights (or my Nuwai Q3, for that matter) into a simple 'momentary-on' switch? I know that people are constantly trying to make a 'tactical' clickie on some lights with some successes, but I'd be happy enough with a twist-on with momentary-on function, like the old Surefires.

It seems to me that it would be a simple enough job to de-activate the 'clickie...ness' of a clickie and make it a simple momentary, but I'm no modder...not on lights yet, anyway...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

-John

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Is this really such a tough question? I had thought that I'd get a pretty quick, "oh, you just clip here, and solder there, and you're done..." kind of answer. I had no idea that this was such a stumper...

Are there any other tailswitches that can be canibalized to acheive the desired effect?

-John

carrot

Flashaholic
If you like doing it as a twisty for constant on, click the light on, then twist the tailcap very slightly until the light turns off. Press on the edge of the tailcap to use it for momentary on, twist for constant on.

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the idea. It does work as you said, but the problem as I see it with this is that you are pretty much gar-un-teed to active the light many times a day if you carry it in your pocket. Also, there seems to be a pretty small window of maybe a 1/4 turn where this works, and I don't want the light to be in the wrong position if I really need it.

Seriously, thanks though.

-John

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Blast,

This post made me want one too..
So I made a prototype on lathe tonight out of aluminium.

It's pretty straight forward like you thought.

INSTALL:
1. Remove clicky sandwich.
2. De-solder spring (or use a new one, I didn't have one)
3. Insert Spring in disc
4. Replace in tailcap and screw locking washer down till flush
5. Back off 1/4 turn
6. Screw cap back on light

FUNCTION:
1. Screw all the way on tight and the light comes on, stays on.
2. Trun cap CCW ~ 1/12th rev = Momentary (unlike SF, the throw of momentary switch does not change with cap rotation... it's set by backing off the locking washer 1/4 turn).
3. Turn cap CCW another 1/4 turn and it locks the PB out completely.

Sweet setup! MY Fenix 1LP is now the perfect EDC and backup to my A2.

fenix_tactical_cap_1.jpg

fenix_tactical_cap_2.jpg

fenix_tactical_cap_3.jpg

fenix_tactical_cap_4.jpg

Last edited:

oregonshooter

Enlightened
96t.jpg

I changed the finished product a little by adding a delrin sleeve and going with the classic SF design. The way I described it above was a fluke that was happening because of a combination of spring tension and rubber boot pressure, both of which are not reliable.

I tried to find a spring to add to these to make them a "drop in" mod, but could not. You have to de-solder your old spring and it will "press fit" into the 17/64 hole in the middle.

I've got one spare and sent two to Bastjv to eval the other day. I'm using one in my 1LP and love it!

I'm making them as people order them because I can't see that much demand for them and they take too long to make to mass produce without knowing someone wants them.

They are $20.00 delivered and can be ordered on my site. (see sigline)

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
Received!!! They look great! I just stopped at True Value to see if they had any springs (they didn't). I may try Transistor Hut, or just pirate the spring from the Fenix. I hope to have one to play with this weekend. Will post impressions ASAP.

Thanks again, Jim!!!

-John

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
INSTALLED!!!!!

I am VERY happy!!!

The only 'problem' I am having is that the top of the aluminum button seems just the slightest bit long and causes the rubber boot to protrude the tiniest bit past the tailswitch so it still stands on end, but is slightly less stable. I will either lightly sand the extra off of the end of the aluminum button, or find a small washer to use as a spacer between the aluminum button and the delrin sleeve.

(EDITED TO ADD: ACTUALLY, THE ORIGINAL WASHER, WHICH IS PICTURED ABOVE IN OREGONSHOOTER'S PHOTO OF THE NEW ASSEMBLY, IS JUST THE RIGHT SIZE, AND WITH THIS INSTALLED BETWEEN THE BASE OF THE BUTTON AND THE DELRIN SLEEVE, EVERYTHING WORKS EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED. I AM VERY SATISFIED!!!!!)

FYI, I looked at Radio Shack, and three local hardware stores and could not find any springs that would work...SO, I stopped at the Dollar Tree and found a cheezy headlamp which had two springs just the right size. Jim, I'll send you a couple of them so you can make a couple of drop in parts for yourself.

Thanks again,

-John

Last edited: