pics from hercules

skywalker_

Newly Enlightened
can someone post pics from the hercules laser
on laserglow.com are some pics .. i will see more from this laser

spyder300

Newly Enlightened
I dont know if anybody has one yet, but If it really outputs 350mw then its a REALLY powerful laser, but IMO the WL spyder (300mw) is better just because of the waterproof, not to mention the click for on click again for off button. Plus it outputs more than 300mw because if it was to output below then wicked lasers would get alot of angry emails, so your actually getting a 310-345mw unit. (BTW not trying to cut laserglow's legs off here they have some really great units I heard)

Black Sheep

Newly Enlightened
Also, the spyders aren't massive flashlights, don't have so many safety features, and are chock resistant.

The 200mW spyder unit stability graph showed a 650mW peak!

spyder300

Newly Enlightened
That was for a hundreth of a second, that does not even nearly register as the peak, the peak is on for 1-5 seconds (450-500 in 300mw is my guess) if that 650 did register as the peak, then the spyders would be class 4, Which they are NOT. (Plus your unit might
explode.gif

Last edited:

SuperBert

Enlightened
A 200mW unit, w/ a 650mW peak.... just a tad overboard in the unstabality category, dont you think? I wanted a Wicked @ one point, and not to bash the company, as I (at this point in time) have nothing against them, but it just seems like the units aren't what they seem to be. That is a massive leap in output... yes, the waterproof feature is nice, but how often will you truly use it? If often, great!

But, I might add, that in recently speaking with Dimitry Federov of LaserGlow, I was made aware that the Hercules have a small fan within the casing in addition to the heatsinks on the upper portion of the laser for extended cooling measures... These fans are low voltage as to not waste power. They are not made by CNI either, so the unreliablity is not to be expected. The Spyder series has no external heat dissipation heatsinks, so where does all of the heat go? If I'm not mistaken, it's directly to the diode...

Someone please clarify if this is correct...Preferably someone that isn't getting paid by wicked (that includes in lasers...no offense)

I'm in no way trying to get YET ANOTHER anti Wicked Lasers thread going here; I would however like to have a few things cleared up so my fellow laser lovers aren't perhaps misinformed.

PS: now I understand why the LaserGlow modules are a little pricier... internal fan...adjustable output...DC input jack so that the module can be plugged into the wall...LED indicator light that comes on when internal module temperature exceeds 39 degrees celsius...Ya get what ya pay for!

Last edited:

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
I also noticed the output graph on Wicked Lasers is only 1 minute while Laserglow's graph lasts 5 minutes. Combining this with what Superbert says, I think it's pretty obvious the Laserglow product is for more serious lab use and the Wicked Lasers product is for conducting really critical experiments like POPPING BALLOONS(!) and BURNING THROUGH BLACK PLASTIC TRASH BAGS(!). You know, real cutting edge stuff :lolsign:

In all seriousness, you probably get what you pay for. If you just want to mess around, go with the Wicked Laser at 50% Laserglow's cost. But if you actually need top quality, it looks like Laserglow is the superior designed laser, not to mention the more trustworthy source.

nero_design

Enlightened
We really need some Herc pics!

I'd like to see some Hercules pictures too. Even if someone from Laserglow can post them. The unit doesn't have to be running. It's also very hard to get an idea of scale from the pics online. In case anyone here forgot, I posed this very question last week. In fact, for many purchasers, the Hercules is an ideal choice of laser if there's a chance children might access it.

A point worth noting is that I believe the Hercules might be lighter than the Spyders which are machined from solid brass (at least my test models are). For lab use this is fine but for everyday carry, this can be a little daunting.
Since the Hercules uses 3x D Cells., perhaps they work out to weigh much the same. Does anyone know what the Hercules weighs? I'm guessing it's made from machined alluminium but the batteries will weigh a lot.

Jellyfish 414: Your comments are still negative. I've just used the Spyders for some splendid photography this week (until one killed my $3K video camera). I was able to leave them running for over an hour each without any serious heat buildup or noticable loss of power (though I'm sure that the power levels dropped). In the last week of intensive photography, I've popped no balloons although (for your sarcasm) I did burn some fabric.

I thought CNI manufactured and designed the Hercules design of GPL III case? In fact, I contacted them last year about their designs so I'm not exactly posing this as an open ended question. Your comments on "trustworthy" are showing your thread reply to be Trollish.

I see you posted yet another post putting down a laser retailer-supplier with false information. I DON'T know what the production version of the WL models will be like so I have NOT reviewed the Spyders. I'm simply taking pics and showing laserists like those here what the new devices look like.

Superbert: I'm not paid in lasers (assuming your comment was directed at me) and I've racked up a few points from people buying but I've never bothered to use them. This should show clearly that I am not paid to take pics although it has led me to preview products ahead of commercial release. I'm happy to take pics of any product if anyone cares to send them my way. In fact, by posting some recent Laser pictures on a Canon Camera forum (nothing to do with lasers), I was today asked if I "work for Canon". ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=17397268 ) - Can't win here can I? If I say a particular brand is good for me, I'm accused of working for them. NOT the case. (Mods: I posted the link to the camera thread because it is not a laser related forum)

*May I request to WL users/fans that they think about what they write before they post when there's an accusation of brand bashing? I ask politely because some usernames (like "Spyder300") really don't imply that they're neutral in their appreciation of products etc. I'm not upset about this but I imagine that any neutral party reading this thread might get the wrong impression. Just a thought.

Last edited:

SuperBert

Enlightened
While I trust that your statements are true, concerning the high output of the Spyder, the fact is, w/o any heat dissipation mechanisms, the heat WILL infact build up within the module and be directed towards the diode. this is what the duty cycles are recommended for. With a forced air system, duty cycles are next to non existent.

The Hercules ARE build for industrial use, but can be used for personal uses as well... the casing is made of aluminum; why would you want an even HEAVIER unit?

I understand that you have your Wicked fans, but you have to understand there is another side as well, and not get so defensive when someone tries to make a productive post.

nero_design

Enlightened
Don't worry about me Superbert. I'm not being defensive though... Jellyfish414 seems to be on an anti-WL bender these days and his posts are not exactly what I would call productive.

I also agree that the heat produced is usually directed someplace and in this case it remains in the case on the Spyder models. The heat from the first few tests was warm but not uncomfortably so. The last two nights saw both units running for a half hour plus (each) without any noticable heat at all when I unclamped them from the vice. A 100% (continuous) duty cycle was listed which is interesting.

I remember contacting CNI about the GPL models and being told that there was a specific duty cycle which at the time did not meet my needs. I believe this does not apply to more recent models... and this may not apply to the Hercules. Is there a vent of some sorts on the Herc models? I assume that the fan allows for itself to draw the warm air from within and expel it elsewhere.

/Come on. There's got to be someone here with a Herc Model that can post pics!

duFontaine

Newly Enlightened
some7qw.jpg
I just had a chance to read this thread. Here is a pic of the Hercules350 with some other lasers I have. From the left: Hercules350(426mw)with 3 D cell Energizer E2, Optotronics(328mw)with 2 C cell Duracell Ultras, LMD(315mw)with 1 CR123 Duracell Ultra, Green pen laser (4.2mw) 2 AAA, Green SureFire(20mw) 1 CR123 SureFire, Surfire Infrared Spotlight(10mw) 1 CR123 SureFire. These are not peaks, these are the mw at which they run. The peaks are Higher but do not go over 470mw. This Hercules350 model is a Prototype.

The Heatsink on the Hercules is really nice I will post some pics later on when I get off work. After haveing it for some time now I can say it is the best laser I have owned or seen in person. Not to say my other lasers are not good, or other companies are not good. All of my lasers are top Quality but the Hercules is my #1.

Thanks
duFontaine

Last edited:

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
Nero, I'm sure the Spyder produces an excellent beam of light but it's obvious to me or anyone who thinks it through the Hercules is simply designed better for serious use. I think you guys even mention this on your site:

"The laser components used by Wicked Lasers are built to specifications one step below (High Powered Lasers for scientific and industrial use). So you get all of the high power and visible laser beam possible with alser typically found only in labs and in industrial eqipment, but without the enhancements that are meaningless when a laser is used primarily to create a visible beam; and at a fraction of the cost"

As for the companies themselves, I've not seen lies posted to the Lasrglow homepage, nor have I seen their owner's/moderators banned from this forum for behaving childishly, nor have I seen any import bans or warning letters from the FDA to Laserglow. So based on all that, I'd say that, yeah, Laserglow is the more reputable source. It's baffling you could look at all that evidence and call me a troll for coming to the only conclusion possible.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I would really like this thread to be continued without the WL fight in mind. Non-compliance will have consequences. We won't let any more threads suffer a horrible fate because of this problem.
bernhard

Athoul

Enlightened
jellyfish414 said:
"The laser components used by Wicked Lasers are built to specifications one step below (High Powered Lasers for scientific and industrial use). So you get all of the high power and visible laser beam possible with alser typically found only in labs and in industrial eqipment, but without the enhancements that are meaningless when a laser is used primarily to create a visible beam; and at a fraction of the cost"

As for the companies themselves, I've not seen lies posted to the Lasrglow homepage, nor have I seen their owner's/moderators banned from this forum for behaving childishly, nor have I seen any import bans or warning letters from the FDA to Laserglow. So based on all that, I'd say that, yeah, Laserglow is the more reputable source. It's baffling you could look at all that evidence and call me a troll for coming to the only conclusion possible.

The above applies for all these lasers. There is a HUGE difference between poratable DPSS lasers and lab lasers. If you read between the lines, what is ment by the above is simply referring to the<1.2Mrad that all these laser share, this is quite large compared to lab lasers which tend to have <0.XmRad. Also they are not polarized, while lab lasers usually are. There are some other things too, but all the portable lasers share the same issues over lab quality lasers. If you are looking for a lab quality laser, you are not going to buy a battery operated portable laser.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
duFontaine said:
From the left: Hercules350(426mw)with 3 D cell Energizer E2, Optotronics(328mw)with 2 C cell Duracell Ultras,

These two are nearly the same in power, but diodes are different as well as battery source.

Do you see an appreciabe difference between the two?
I Imagine the Herc has a higher initial power "much more than the differences of their constant".

Is the extra size worth the trouble, or are they basically the same in performance?

Aseras

Enlightened
wicked is claiming the new spyder 2 has a integrated tec in it...

Latest posts