Both my TL-200 chargers lit up but failed to charge: possible reasons?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a $15 TL-200 lithium-ion charger for the second time. The first one didn't charge my cells, or stopped working soon after I got it (I can't recall); I figured I had a bad sample. Well, the second one doesn't charge them, either! The LEDs blink green to indicate that the cells are charging. But my 168B cells don't get warm and don't charge.

This charger looks and works like a Wolf Eyes fast charger: independent channels, with independent indicator LEDs located at the end molded with a postiive sign (+).

By the way, I bought the first on eBay in 2005, the second from an individual who had just bought it new and hadn't used it yet. It's not his fault, and there's really no way to return it.

I'm starting to think that the + sign was molded at the wrong end! What would happen if I tried test this hypothesis by inserting the cells backward?

Before I try something so drastic, there are three more tests I can try: charging 150B cells, AW protected 17670 cells, and AW 18500 cells. Maybe the 168B cells aren't making good contact.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've now tried the charger at home, charging a Wolf Eyes 168B cell whose voltage measured 3.93V. This time the cell at least got warm, and the blinking green LED turned steady green. But the voltage still measured 3.93V.

To test my theory--that the (_) was embossed at the wrong end--would it be safe to battery and charger if I were to try charging a lithium-ion cell inserted the wrong way?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello Paul, Check the voltage and polarity with your voltmeter. Tom
Unfortunately, I don't have a voltmeter--just one of Emillion's mini cell-tester swhere you stick the cell into built-in holder. I know, I should get the real thing.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paul,

You may be able to stop buy an electronics store (Radio Shack comes to mind) and have them check it out for you. They usually have a volt meter laying around for demonstration.

Tom

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I will. Meanwhile, I'll just have to "get by" on my five Wolf Eyes / Pila fast chargers and my two DSDs... (spread over three locations)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paul,

Wow, it sounds like you have fallen on rough times... :devil: We may have to take up a collection... :D

Tom

LEDite

Enlightened
Paul;

You MUST have a reliable voltmeter to be safe with lithium ion batteries. Buy one before you get into trouble.

I just got some lightweight Panasonic rectangular cells that are positive on the case and negative at a small terminal.

Do not reverse the cells. That doubles the voltage into a low resistance, which can be worse than shorting the cells.

Check the voltage at the battery terminals; it should be 4.2 or so without any battery in the charger.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, LEDite. Now that you've reminded me, I ordered one of those red voltmeters (with a backlit display) from Harbor Freight about three weeks ago but it never arrived.