Any new "high end" chargers in the near future?

adict2jane

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I've been away for a long time but I am in the market for a new analyzing charger. I have been considering the SkyRC MC3000, the Opus 3100 v2.2, and the Xtar Dragon VP4. All three have aspects that I am looking for but also some details that I wish could be addressed. I also noticed that all of these chargers have been around for a while and the MC3000 seems to be in short supply. Just curious if anyone knows if new or updated models may be released soon. If not, I will probably pick one of these up soon but figured I would check first. Thank you in advance!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Until there's a Type C input with say 100W max. to the charger,
your best bet currently is the Folomov A4
> input from DC is 12V @ 5A and will take 21700 & 32700 (LiFePO4 voltage)
max current is just over 8A for the four bays

illumn has them

adict2jane

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for your reply and PM

The majority of batteries I have are rescues from the recycling, so fast charging is not a feature that I would be using at all. I am mostly interested in weeding out bad cells and checking capacity/internal resistance.

It looks like Vapcell S4 Plus v3.0 is the only newish charger in this class.
HKJ's review of the S4 Plus looks good with with one exception - the unit beeps when done. The short manual listed online states a silent mode so I assume the beeping can be turned off. I will have the charger in an shared office space and beeping would not be a welcome addition.
The MC3000 is a little too fiddly, expensive, and I don't really like the screen
The VP4 Dragon looks really nice to me but I don't like how individual channels are not truly independent (you have to do the same function on channel 1+4 and 2+3)
The Opus 3100's fan has reports of it being annoying loud - again probably not welcome in a shared space.

I found another charger that is an older model but has the functions I am looking for: the Tenergy TN456.
However HKJ nor any other individual or website has a indepth review of it that I can find.

Based on this I may be going with the S4 Plus v3.0 in the near future.

Last edited:

NiOOH

Enlightened
The MC3000 is a little too fiddly, expensive, and I don't really like the screen
Yes, it's expensive. It's fiddly only as far as you can change and control any charging parameter on any chemistry. No other charger gives nearly the same amount of flexibility and control, not even close. If you don't want to fiddle with it (which is done once), you can use it in some of the simple modes. It is as simple as inserting your cells and pushing a button. The screen may not be the best, but it has the advantage of displaying the progress of all 4 slots at once.

It is only fiddly if you want to fiddle. I mostly just use it for charging which is at least as simple as in 'simple' chargers. I well remember this being discussed during development in the many-pages-long thread here on CPF and while the flexibility (aka fiddly) was a primary requirement, so was non-fiddly.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worth looking at MiBoxer C4-12 V3. Quality built charger. No fiddling around. No cap test functions, on these hobby chargers, isn't that just a novelty anyway?