Digilight drb-9vhp WEAKER than an A2? EDIT: added BEAMSHOTS

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
yep. my NEW .8 amp digilight 9v lamp is dimmer and has a slightly smaller spot than my A2 aviator. I'm running the digilight in a 6p with new protected RCR123 cells from lighthound. anyone know why this is? I'll get some beamshots up if theres interest...

Last edited:

NAW

Enlightened
Re: Digilight drb-9vhp WEAKER than an A2?

Well I just got one and its brighter than my 120 lumen P61. Whats the focus on your Digilight? Is it spot, normal, wide?

I think beamshots will help.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sgaterboy said:
yep. my NEW .8 amp digilight 9v lamp is dimmer and has a slightly smaller spot than my A2 aviator. I'm running the digilight in a 6p with new protected RCR123 cells from lighthound. anyone know why this is? .

Because it is running on 7.4V?

NAW

Enlightened

Flash_Gordon said:
Because it is running on 7.4V?

I'm running my DRB-9VHP on 7.4V but its still brighter than my P61.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened

A2 on left. Digilight on right. A2 is only running on 6 volts, correct?
Beamshots from about ten feet away

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Digilight drb-9vhp WEAKER than an A2? EDIT: BEAMSHOT

I'll get more shots in a minute... gotta wait for the camera to recharge. For the record, the A2 kicked out of regulation about thirty seconds after that beamshot. I have a 6P stock and a 6R I can compare If thatll help. . . Any advice for the next round of beamshots?

NAW

Enlightened

I'm curious as to what light you are using the DRB-9VHP? Are you sure the R123 are charged?

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened

ITs in a 6P body. . . I got them and immediately put them in a charger.. that was last night. possibly they arent as powerful the first few discharges? I'm recharging them now. I didnt think that lions had a memory out of the box, but maybe you have to break them in?:ohgeez:

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened

okay... 6P stock on left, DHB on the right. Spots about the same size, but 6P is noticeably brighter in the center of the spot. Whats wrong?:awman:

EDIT: oh, yeah... I ordered two lamps from digilight... I swapped the lamp out between shots, so the problem hopefully isnt in both lamps. I'm banking on the batteries being at fault. I'll be getting some other RCRs in the mail hopefully tomorrow, and I guess we can try back then.

Last edited:

NAW

Enlightened
B.T.W. you do know you aren't getting the maximum brightness off of the DRB-9VHP?

Youre running a 9V lamp at about 7.4V. If you were able to run the 9V lamp at 9V then it will be very bright and white.

Delvance

Enlightened
The DRB-9V HP on TWO R123s should be way brighter than a SF A2 in regulation.

Regarding what NAW said, 3 CR123s under load from a lamp, will sag to just a little higher than what the two R123s are giving under load. So basically, running the lamp from 2 R123s or 3 CR123s, makes hardly any difference. Please don't try to run the lamp from 3 R123s, it will blow. Maybe try two unprotected R123s ? Not that it should make a difference (unless the PTC is playing up).

IMHO, it's either the batteries or the lamp at fault. The setup you've got them in is perfect.
I actually did some photos last night comparing my A2 to my older DRB-9V HP and a G&P G90 low pressure. Check 'em out here and scroll to the photos of Group D.

NAW

Enlightened
Delvance said:
So basically, running the lamp from 2 R123s or 3 CR123s, makes hardly any difference.

Well for me there is a huge diference. When I run the 3 CR123 batteries compared to the 2 rechargeable ones there is a huge difference that I can see. I mean a huge difference.:grin2:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I noticed the beamshot you took was of the 1.2A bulb.

Was the Inova XO beamshot the tiros or the new reflector version?

Delvance

Enlightened
Naw,
Tha's interesting, my DRB-9V HP on 2 R123s is actually brighter than a SF 9P with P90 LA by a fair bit. Probably just a bit behind a P91. Very very white too...

InfidelCastro,
It was the older style TIROS one. Yeah i bought that DRB-9V HP awhile ago.

NAW

Enlightened
Delvance said:
Naw,
Tha's interesting, my DRB-9V HP on 2 R123s is actually brighter than a SF 9P with P90 LA by a fair bit. Probably just a bit behind a P91. Very very white too...

I noticed that youre using the 1.2a version. I'm using the 0.8a version. I wonder if thats making the differnece?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you see, the r123 doesn't have alot of capacity in it and so, when you draw that amount of current from it, the voltage will sag MORE then the high capacity cells.

Joseph

Enlightened
How dose a Digilight drb-9vhp do compared with a Wolf-eye D26 9V? I'm using the latter in my C2 with two rcrs. This combination looks brighter than surefire P61 but not as white as other surefires even not as white as a P60.

Does anyone have a beamshot fo D26 and Digilight drb-9vhp side by side?

Delvance

Enlightened
The Wolfeyes lamp is rated at 200 bulb lumens with two LIons, while the DRB 9V HP is rated at 175 bulb lumens. Also the wolfeyes LA draws ~1.1A i believe, a tad bit less than the older DRB 9V HP LA but more than the efficient version. Although by the sounds of it, i don't think Digilight have ready *working* supplies of the more efficient DRB 9V HP yet.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the lamps just a week ago straight from digilight... how can i tell if they're the .8 or 1.2 bulbs? maybe I got 1.2 by accident. I was under the impression that all new lamps shipped would be the .8 amp version. . .