Inova 24/7 Cracks

LarryC

Newly Enlightened
I noticed in Unforgiven's B/S/T trade thread that his Inova 24/7 had cracked
247backrgr9.jpg

My Inova 24/7 has cracked also.
inova.jpg

How many other people have had problems with their Inova 24/7 cracking?
:scowl:

Last edited:

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
Thats realey ODD, Mine is ok and I have realey abused this light. Secend one I have owned, First one was stolen out of my wall locker by anouther security gurd.

Blazer

Enlightened
No problem here, but I can't say I've put mine to any hard use.

Primarily it's either a nighttime light for fun or it rides clipped to my kids' bike chariot as a rear warning light.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
IIRC, the inside of the battery tube is metal. Could it be that if the light was heated up enough, the expansion of the metal would crack the plastic?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I'm soon to inherit Unforgiven's 24/7, I'm just gonna put some superglue over the crack, and spread it thin.
Would epoxy be better, to keep it waterproof? Are these guys waterproof??

greenLED

Flashaholic
Why don't you contact Inova for a replacement?

Mine did bike duty for a while and it's been sitting in my car for a while now - no cracks on the housing.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one pictured in post 1 is the only one of 3 of mine that cracked. Inova did offer to replace it but did not have any red ones at the time so I just kept it. Mine are used primarily as Halloween lights on the setting that flash every color. Pretty cool backlighting effects for the kids. ;)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 24/7's used mostly indoor's but they haven't cracked. Does the color make
a difference? I have a grey and a yellow.

firefly99

Enlightened
It seem the crack is on the external housing moulding to the metal battery compartment. Should not affect operation of light.

My 24/7 is ok no crack.

By the way, how water resistance is this light, please share your experience thanks.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The the Inova's site FAQ:
What does your limited lifetime warranty cover?
"... This warranty includes manufacturers defect in materials and/or workmanship, and malfunction limited to the intended use of the product. Our warranty does not cover abuse or neglect, modification, water submersion, or physical damage to the surface of the flashlight including scratches or other externally exposed parts, which do not affect the light output."
This doesn't sound like they'd replace a 24/7 if it was cracked, a cracked body would sound like neglect.

Unforgiven, what did you tell Inova for them to offer a replacement?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Omega Man said:
"... This warranty includes manufacturers defect in materials and/or workmanship, and malfunction limited to the intended use of the product. Our warranty does not cover abuse or neglect, modification, water submersion, or physical damage to the surface of the flashlight including scratches or other externally exposed parts, which do not affect the light output."
This doesn't sound like they'd replace a 24/7 if it was cracked, a cracked body would sound like neglect.

I'd say a cracked body is sign of defect in materials... but that interpretation is clearly voided by the last part of their warranty statement.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
I'd say a cracked body is sign of defect in materials... but that interpretation is clearly voided by the last part of their warranty statement.
I don't think so. If you're talking about when they say "physical damage to the surface of the flashlight", I'd say they're talking about inflicted physical damage. They should cover this unless it shows physical truma has occurred. It's clearly a material defect.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:

I Emailed them and said that my light developed a crack on the back side of the battery compartment. They asked how the light was used and if it had been abused in any way and I told them it had not. A few emails and that was it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I gotta revive this old thread.

The cracks on my yellow 24/7 grew to the point where the battery cap is completely lose and won't stay inside the battery compartment. The light's been sitting in my car for the longest time, so I'm not sure how the cracks could've developed, or why they got worse.

From what I'm re-reading here, it sounds like these cracks sort of develop on their own? Other than a relatively short stint as bike flasher, it's been sitting in my car's emergency box for the longest time. :confused:

From the reply e-mail I just got from Inova, it seems like it might get replaced, but their technicians have to see the light first (pun intended). Oh, and there's a $5 fee for S&H. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'll try to post some pics before shipping it out.

Last edited:

fluorescent

Enlightened
My yellow 24/7 cracked also here is the reply - backs up what others have said..

You may return the product to us and we will send you a replacement light. In the return box, please include a brief description of the problem you are experiencing, a $5.00 fee for shipping and handling, and be sure to address it to the following:

ATTENTION RETURNS
Emissive Energy Corp.
135 Circuit Drive
North Kingstown RI 02852

We will return your replacement light once our technicians have confirmed that it meets our warranty criteria. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Best Regards,

--
Customer Service
401.294.2030 X.204
[email protected]

greenLED

Flashaholic
:thinking:

The first part of their e-mail is a rehash of their policy statment, and then this:

In the event that you do have a defective light, you may return the product to us and we will send you a replacement light. In the return box, please include a brief description of the problem you are experiencing, a $5.00 fee for shipping and handling, and be sure to address it to the following:
We will return your replacement light once our technicians have confirmed that it meets our warranty criteria. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.