Mini Review: Paladin Tools PT-540 Multi-Tool

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This tool is actually produced by SOG. It is similar to the EOD or PowerLock models in some ways, but has a LOT more features...it is designed for the IT/Network tech.

The pliers are your basic pliers but with some additions. There are four wire-stripping holes and below the jaws, there is a stopping device that ensures you only close down over the insulation of the wire and not cut all the way through it. I stripped some UTP earlier and it worked great.

It also has 66 and 110 punchdown tools (one on each handle)...the blades are replaceable, but are $8.95 from Paladin and you have to disassemble the tool to switch them out. Not technically difficult, but could be a PITA to do if you're in a hurry...there are also wire-stripping grooves in the punchdown tools.

There is a 1/4" bit driver...they also included an adapter to fit screwdriver bits...it fits in an elastic sleeve in the bottom of the case. The case smells of the "greasy, dead emu" as noted in another thread that SOG is (in)famous for. But it is a nice leather case. I'd recommend the one from TADGear though. It's nylon and smells better...I think the S2 is the one that fits, but call them up to make sure. Tell them you need the one that fits the SOG EOD/Powerlock.

There are also terminal lug crimpers that work for b-connectors also. And a hard wire/Romex cutter as well a drywall hole saw (works on thin cement board and paneling, according to the instruction sheet), phillips head screwdriver (I think a #2), cable hook/very small flathead screwdriver, and bottle opener/large flatblade screwdriver.

Overall, I'm happy I waited for this one instead of getting one with fewer tools. This would be handy to have on you if you're on call and having to repair minor network issues at times. I'll be using it mainly to strip wire, but it's good to know I have everything I need to install a couple of ethernet ports if I need to...but we usually get other people to come in and do that.

Anyway, I got it at Specialized Products for $119. They had it out yesterday afternoon and I had it today. They're about 3 hours from here. If you order from their website, it's an automatic $12.95 shipping, even for this little thing so call them on the phone and ask them to ship it cheaper, if they can. They were able to for me.

Any questions, please feel free to ask...

JM-99