My initial impressions of the Xeray 50Watt.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved mine today.. it actually surprised me and got here sooner than I expected.
When I opened the box, I was also surprised at the nice aluminum box provided with had foam padding inside with slots already provided. I knew I was getting one, but not this nice.

The Box has a handle and latches to attach the provided strap if wanted.
or you can use the strap on the light.

When I pulled out the light, I expected it to be much heavier considering how it looked and how it was built.
The body is a composite plastic fiber of some sort that looks like metal.. thats prob what threw me.
The head is bold black anodized aluminum the best I can tell with a reflector glass that looked like it wasn't even there it was so clear.

The unit comes without the battery attached so I took the 6 screws off the bottom and hooked up the wire.

I couldn't wait to go outside once it got dark to test it out.
The only other light I have used to compare it to is the X990.

when I turned it on, it took about 20 seconds to get to full brightness.
I think the X990 did faster, but since the X990 didn't get near as bright, I think it was the same. "if that makes sense".

If your not totally impressed my the looks and the make, when you turn it on, you will become a true believer!

This thing is a sinkin beast! Its bright!... Really Damn bright!
I can't imagine ever needing to go to 75 watts, even though I may change my mind, this thing shines all the way to the end of my block and looks like it would render someone blind even at that distance.

If you were to shine it on your neighbors house at night from a distance of 100 yards, it would surely light every room in thier house!
I don't recommend it.. the poor people would probrably think a UFO landed in their backyard!

The beam focused down is really really nice.. I like it...very smooth.. the very center is even brighter than the main beam.

Its true, you couldn't shine it at an oncoming car even 200 yards away, you would flat blind them and probrably make them run right in the ditch!

I would love to see a BB next to this.. I can't imagine anything could be brighter!.. wow!.....

At this point, I'm sold on having 95 min of runtime... thats awesome!

The air is totally clear tonight and low humidity at my house as follows:
Humidity 58%
Dewpoint 30 in.
Heat index 57F

And when I shine this in the air.. its just like the pictures in the beamshots you've seen on the forum.. they are not lying!.... it looks like a light cannon beaming through the air!

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
windstrings said:
The unit comes without the battery attached so I took the 6 screws off the bottom and hooked up the wire.

There are 2 connections to make on the battery pack large wires to white connector on circuit board and the black connector coming from the battery pack as well. Remove the battery pack from the light and you will see them if you have not already. The newer instructions should have covered this. Also the rubber feet on the battery pack should go up against the metal base cover to prevent contact between the battery pack and the metal heatsink bottom cover.

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My initial impressions of the Xray 50Watt.

I can't wait to get mine. The nice thing about the 50 watt is you'll have longer runtime. Plus, since the 35 watt bulb is being overdriven a bit, after about 50 hours of use you'll probably have 90% of the current 5300 lumens. You can then replace the bulb with a factory new Phillips available for about $50 or less, whereas the 50 watt DL50 would cost much more to replace.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
XeRay said:
There are 2 connections to make on the battery pack large wires to white connector on circuit board and the black connector coming from the battery pack as well. Remove the battery pack from the light and you will see them if you have not already. The newer instructions should have covered this. Also the rubber feet on the battery pack should go up against the metal base cover to prevent contact between the battery pack and the metal heatsink bottom cover.

BELOW IS MY POST "EDITED" AFTER TALKING TO DAN ON THE PHONE
Many of the questions are already understood by the oldtimers as they were discussed with the last GB.
I will interject his responses to save him the trouble..if I botch it too much, he can interject...

I think I have the old instructions... I looked over and over and could not find reference to the connector coming off the battery that only had two wires "red and yellow" I assume the connect to the other two wires that are double black, but I didnt' connect them since it wasn't mentioned in the instructions. The light will run without them hooked up, but your saftey precautions will be disabled.
Thats correct, the red and yellow from the battery connect to the double black coming from the circuit board.
The old instructions do not mention this since it is a function they didn't have on those previous lights.

What do they do? The LiIon battery is automatically protected against shorts etc, but the circuit board also has its own protection... this allows that function to sense the battery and report to the readout on the top of the light.

I also don't see a reference as to what function the reset serves and what its for and when I am to use it?.. I'm sure you've addressed this somewhere in the forums.
I see its not on your pics here. http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/hid_searchlights.html
so it must have been an options that was temporarily removed or something? Those pics are of the older lights.

The Reset is a function of the circuit board.. if it senses a fault, it will alert you and give you the opportunity to reset. If the cause of the fault has not been removed, it will alert again.
This could be anything from incorrect voltages being fed to the board to heat issues etc.

If the green light on the battery check indicator is flashing rather than solid then it is warning you of a problem which is indicated by how many times it blinks. The problems are as follows:

1 time – Li-ion battery recharge: means the battery is empty and needs to be charged.

2 times – Li-ion battery false: means the battery is damaged, it could be shorted or the internal fuse is opened

3 times – HID ballast/bulb false: means the HID ballast or the HID bulb is damaged

4 times – Input power voltage is over low.(false): means the external power source (battery or power supply) is too low (less than 10.8 volts)

5 times – Input power voltage is over high. (false): means the external power source (battery or power supply) is too high (higher than 30 volts)

I also didn't see the reference you made to the battery feet being against the metal.. thanks, that makes sense. It just says to replace the battery the same way the other one came out.

If you could send me the new instructions, that would be nice for safe keeping unless you make it available for download. Email sent

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61 said:
I can't wait to get mine. The nice thing about the 50 watt is you'll have longer runtime. Plus, since the 35 watt bulb is being overdriven a bit, after about 50 hours of use you'll probably have 90% of the current 5300 lumens. You can then replace the bulb with a factory new Phillips available for about $50 or less, whereas the 50 watt DL50 would cost much more to replace.

I don't know if yours had shipped or not yet.. but the DL-50 is available now if you want to get one instead of the 35 watt GE.. I do indeed like the pattern it throws "although i've never had a GE" and it will be one less thing to buy if you do upgrade.
It cost me another 70.00 to get it instead of the GE.

If you study the beamshots carefully, it seems to give a bigger ground pattern for distance, whereas the GE has bigger wide angle pattern.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105229

If you want the new instructions I can email them to you.. I don't know how to post them.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Nice details. I kind of wish I had the newer 50W circuitboard features, but I have had the pleasure of using this light for the last 9 months...and at a much cheaper price...so I'm happy!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
Nice details. I kind of wish I had the newer 50W circuitboard features, but I have had the pleasure of using this light for the last 9 months...and at a much cheaper price...so I'm happy!

Yes indeed.. the curse of buying anything electronically technical.
I'm sure mine will be outdated soon too.. they are always improving and updating.

But on the other hand, as long as they try the best they can at making it upgradable to the newer stuff... we are still in good position.

I understand the main difference in the circuit board is the low drain on the battery while all is hooked up. According to the math, I think I was told 30 months before depletion. Almost a factor of 10 compared the old one. Since LiIon does not develope memory.. its no big deal as long as you take precautions and disconnect for long storages or throw it on charger "or leave it" on a regular basis.

I'm not sure why the circuit even needs to be activated while the light is off.. othewise you could simply tie the battery in with the on/off switch so that all is disconnected while off?
It may have to do with whether you want battery check function and error detection abilities while the unit is turned off.. I'm not sure.

The second thing I thought of for the older units is the install a little on/off switch tied to the battery. It would need to be one that wouldn't easy be bumped.
And of course you would need to have the switch on for charging!

Of course there is also the option of installing another circuit board, but I think the older DC charger for sure is not compatible with the new board, I'm not sure about the AC.

I'm sure Dan could suggest the best fix is you didn't want to mess with disconnecting the battery for intermediate storage times.
I would think just leaving it on the charger would be the easiest option for intermittent use.

Last edited:

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad you like your new Xeray. :D Just out of curiosity is it really that hard to add the e in Xeray?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

lasercrazy said:
Just out of curiosity is it really that hard to add the e in Xeray?

I thought the same thing...but that assumes he notices it is even missing!!!

:lolsign:

BVH

Flashaholic

Its probably helpful to know that its pronounced "ZeeRay". This might help people to remember to use the X"e"ray.

frogs3

Enlightened
Re: Initial impressions of the Xeray 50Watt.

Dear Flashaholics,

It is fascinating to read that Windstrings went through the same emotional response I experienced when I first turned on my 75wBB XeRay. It does take longer than the X990 to reach full brightness but the wait is worth it. Anyone with these units knows what I have been emphasizing about being VERY careful particularly in suburban areas not to shine the center of the beam into a driver's face or a neighbor's window, for different reasons.

I don't know where Windstrings lives, but I am guessing it is not too close to Philadelphia, PA, otherwise we could do side-by-side beamshots.

Since I got mine on the CPF Trading Post, the battery and I assume (hope) other connections were already made. I also did not receive any instruction sheet in the box. I will call Dan Monday to have one sent, as that seems like a good insurance policy if anything goes awry.

BTW, there have been comments that these lights get very hot on the bottom with continued use. In my experience, running the unit for up to 40 minutes in moderate weather has not caused the metal bottom to become more than barely warmer than body temperature to the touch, and certainly not what I would call hot. Let's see what the newest users say about this.

I hope those of you who have just received your units remain as pleased as I have, and will use them to good advantage to stamp out darkness.

-Harvey K.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Initial impressions of the Xeray 50Watt.

frogs3 said:
I don't know where Windstrings lives, but I am guessing it is not too close to Philadelphia, PA, otherwise we could do side-by-side beamshots.

BTW, there have been comments that these lights get very hot on the bottom with continued use. In my experience, running the unit for up to 40 minutes in moderate weather has not caused the metal bottom to become more than barely warmer than body temperature to the touch, and certainly not what I would call hot. Let's see what the newest users say about this.
-Harvey K.

I'm in central Texas.. .bummer...
but take your metal plate off and make sure yours has heat sink paste on the ballast... the metal plate acts as a heat sink via the paste and your ballast may not be getting that benifit.
You can get the paste at any computer store, or online.

It would be sweet if they could figure out a way to get faster startup.
I almost think the initial startup is dimmer than the X990 and takes almost twice as long to reach full brightness, but boy does it get full!

If you want to PM me your email, I can send you my manual if you like.

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I put extra paste that I got from Radio Shack to make sure I was getting proper heat transfer. The bottom plate still does not get real hot. I love the barn burner.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine hasn't either, but I haven't had it on over 10 minutes at a time yet.

Someone else will have to chime in to say how hot it really gets.

Either your not touching and making contact, or it just doesn't get that hot and that would explain why that thin plate could be an adequate heat sink.

I agree, its a good Idea to use it, since its there.
Whether its really necessary or not, I don't know.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine hasn't either, but I haven't had it on over 10 minutes at a time yet.

Someone else will have to chime in to say how hot it really gets.

Either your not touching and making contact, or it just doesn't get that hot and that would explain why that thin plate could be an adequate heat sink.

I agree, its a good Idea to use it, since its there.
Whether its really necessary or not,...

The plate warns it gets hot.. so who knows?

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I took my first long walk tonight... the light worked like a champ.. Very little heat goes into the body.. unless you have it on for about 45 min, then the top of the reflector and the bottom plate gets warm.

But DON'T touch the front glass on the reflector... this baby put out some lumens and the glass gets stinkin hot!
I was messing around turning the focus and my palm touched the glass and I thought I left skin at first on the glass!..

But all is well.. after about 15 minutes I didn't notice the pain anymore and I don't think I have a blister.

On the walk it was difficult paying attention as to where to point it. You can't just beam anybody you want.. I felt like I was carrying a gun for a while!

The carrying strap is very comfortable and places the light at your side with hands free.

Anyway... for those wishing to upgrade to the Barn Burner... man, I don't know... you better treat the front of this thing like a heater and not touch anything.

I can point my 50W at a desk about 1.5 feet away and in 2 minutes the wood on the desk is too hot to touch.
I suppose it would start a fire after a while unattended.

The barn burner I'm sure would be able to earn its name if pointed too close to an object for a few minutes!

Not much heat on the light itself, but alot goes out the front.

The LiIon battery is really neat to be that small and light, yet deliver that kind of energy for an hour and a half!

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can light the sports section of my news paper on fire in about 20-30 seconds with my BB. :devil: I also made the same mistake you did when I got my BB, but I touched it after it had been run for the full hour. :mecry: :rant:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
lasercrazy said:
I can light the sports section of my news paper on fire in about 20-30 seconds with my BB. :devil: I also made the same mistake you did when I got my BB, but I touched it after it had been run for the full hour. :mecry: :rant:

Ah, you may have started something here!.. I'll have to see how long mine takes.. "if it will at all". I think wood burns around 400 and something degrees.. so I bet it will.

What is the longest you've ran your BB and was it crazy hot?