Fenix P1D-CE comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
STOP PRESS... RUSH, RUSH, RUSH!!!......

Fenix P1D-CE comparison review

Part 1 -

Probably one of the most talked about and speculated flashlights -

I am extremely grateful to 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com) for the temporary loan of this Fenix P1D-CE......
and yes, he did reassure me I was NOT depriving anyone of theirs.....

I went to his place of business where I found them unpacking cartons full of P1D's CE's, black and natural... that was about 3:40PM Eastern - it is now 6:07pm..... what can I say - I'm a flashaholic......

Packaging -
P1DCEpck.jpg

comes with standard ballistic nylon holster, spare O-ring, and that swivel clip keyring, as well as instructions.......

The only sign that this is a P1D-CE from the outside of the packet is the label on the back
P1DCEpckB.jpg
P1DCElabel.jpg

Sizes -
P1Dsz.jpg

The other way to tell it's a P1D-CE is to look at the head -
P1DCEhds.jpg

OK, ok - what's it like?......
first let's look at the High brightness level on regular Primary CR123A (NON-rechargeable)

vs. Fenix P1 both on primary CR123A
CP1DCE_P1.jpg
CP1DCE_P1U2.jpg

what we're hoping for - the P1D-CE is noticably brighter on High than the already sterling P1....

High vs. the Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T mod also on High - that I've been calling a "preview" of the P1D-CE - both on primary CR123A -
so was I right?
CP1DCE_CreeL1T.jpg
CP1DCE_CreeL1T2U.jpg

very similar - but you'd be pleased know I think the P1D is slightly brighter.....
(and yes, I was right...
tongue.gif
wink.gif
)

Now to the Medium (default level) - again using regular primary CR123A -

Medium vs. Fenix P1 both on primary CR123A
CmP1DCE_P1.jpg
CmP1DCE_P1U2.jpg

huh? - this is Medium? (yes, I double-checked) it's brighter than the Fenix P1!!!

Medium vs. the Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T mod on Low - both on primary CR123A
CmP1DCE_CreeL1TL.jpg
CmP1DCE_CreeL1TL2U.jpg

yes, the Medium for the P1D-CE is noticably brighter than the Cree XR-E mod L1T/L2T on Low.... this is quite some medium level......

Low level using primary CR123A -

Low vs. Fenix P1 both on primary CR123A
CLP1DCE_P1.jpg
CLP1DCE_P1U2.jpg

at last as one would expect the low is dimmer than the P1.....but it is not that dim.

Low vs. the Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T mod on Low - both on primary CR123A
CLP1DCE_CreeL1TL.jpg
CLP1DCE_CreeL1TL2U.jpg

they are about the same, maybe a bit dimmer - and I thought the Low on the Cree XR-R mod L1T was bright......

Ringiness in the beam - yes, there is some especially if the light is held close to a plain surface - many lights show this kind of problem when held close....

One can just see some of this ringiness in the beamshots - if you didn't notice until I mentioned it - then it's probably not going to bother you -
but yes, I can see it - even when at a distance - however it's almost like a feeling that there's a kind of dark halo round the hotspot - BUT again in all praciticality I don't really notice it.

So yes, it's there, and IMHO it's not a problem - but I understand if YMMV.....

...can I go to the bathroom now?

Part 2 - using 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable RCR123 - in Post #40

(standardized) Outdoors Beamshot - in Post #92

Color removed/Desaturated (standardized) Outdoors Beamshot - in Post #93
so lights can be directly compared without any color/tint.

Tested Runtimes by chevofreak - Fenix P1D CE runtimes (link)

Indoors Practical beamshot in Post #100 on page 4

Color removed/Desaturated Indoors Practical beamshots in Post #103 on page 4

Direct side-by-side comparison with xenon/lithium lights
SureFire 9P 3xCR123 and Streamlight Scorpion 2xCR123 in Post #105 on page 4

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
copiertec wrote: "Have you tried it with rechargeables?"

Not even going to give me a chance to go to the bathroom huh?
tongue.gif

Yes, that is going to be part 2.

But in the meantime -
it does work fine with a 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123 (UNprotected) -

eye-balling only -
it's ungodly bright -
about the same as the Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T also on rechargeable.
all 3 levels seem to be the same ie: just bright - no medium or low -
strobe and SOS still work.

Last edited:

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
Whoops sorry! didn`t meen to disturb your output. Enjoy your number 2 before proceeding with part 2 :laughing:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the package, is that picture from space a real beamshot?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm amazed how Fenix can print instructions and packaging so fast, let alone take a just released LED and build a production flashlight around it in under two months.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave wrote: "Do the lower levels use PWM?
Also what is the flash rate of the Flash level?"

I have been corrected before about PWM - so let me say at Medium (default) and Low levels using primary CR123A I canNOT see any hint of any pulsing - and I've done things like wave my open hand, a pencil and even a comb in front of the light to try to see any hint of pulsing - and I cannot.

The strobing is fast - enough to grab attention -
or be annoying - depending on your point of view -
it was fast enough so would definitely be called "strobing" -
I could not count accurately enough - but roughly it did about 10 on/offs in about 1.56secs - so maybe about 6-7 pulses per second?

It looked like it was at the full brightness (high) when on strobe mode.

SOS seemed slow to me - but it would be like someone actually having to switch a flashlight on and off to signal.

It went through the SOS just once and stopped.
EDIT - That part about stopping is WRONG -
thanks to Lexina for pointing this out in Post #18 below -
there is a 10 sec PAUSE before the SOS repeats itself.

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
define ballistic nylon holster??? hehehe...

i like the new style packaging, looks more appropriate to the price point especially when giving away as presents.
the original carded packing of the P1 looks like a $10 lights to non flashaholics.

UnknownVT, didnt 4sevens say that the levels on P1D doesnt use PWM (LOP SE does), or has this been changed since that statement?

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 wrote: "define ballistic nylon holster??? hehehe..."

thick, tough, wide/broad woven nylon... :p

x2x3x2 wrote: "didnt 4sevens say that the levels on P1D doesnt use PWM (LOP SE does), or has this been changed since that statement?"

He did, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed -

However in that first gigantic thread - I tried to relay that message - but was corrected that to regulated the light electronically some form of PWM has to be used, even when no pulsing is physically detectable -
so I was trying to avoid having to say whether it was or not....
which only got me into further trouble by you asking about it.

So NO it does NOT use PWM in the colliquial sense of what we normally mean by PWM - ie: any visible pulsing of the light -
I tried my best to see any pulsing and could not see any.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT said:
OK, ok - what's it like?......
first let's look at the High brightness level on regular Primary CR123A (NON-rechargeable)

vs. Fenix P1 both on primary CR123A
CP1DCE_P1.jpg
CP1DCE_P1U2.jpg

what we're hoping for - the P1D-CE is noticably brighter on High than the already sterling P1....
Great review UnknownVT. That is an awesome beam shot. The PD1-CE side spill is way brighter than the standard P1, and the old P1 is no slouch. The P1D-CE has, to my eyes, the perfect combination of throw and side spill.

lexina

Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
SOS seemed slow to me - but it would be like someone actually having to switch a flashlight on and off to signal. It went through the SOS just once and stopped.

This is the only part that puzzled me. Shouldn't the SOS mode repeat itself continuously to be of any real use? Possibility that it's a defect in the test unit? Perhaps there was a long pause before the sequence repeated?

Btw, great review - thanks!

Newuser01

Enlightened
Your review is GREAT! As usual. But I must say most of the stuff that you and others talked about went over my head.

My understanding is limited to how bright is the lights (SL PP LUX and Dorcy Super 1 watt cr123) and how long would the batteries last (oh- ballpark figure.....). Bear with me as I'm learning as most of us are.

So....To your eyes.
Where is the brightness of this P1DCE compare to SL PP LUX and dorcy super 1 watt? Does it throw better than SL PP LUX? And what would you say run time would be on CR123?

I'm not asking you run the actual test. Just an educated guess would be good enough for me since I can't really afford to get this.

Regards.
Noob

Last edited: