Fenix P1 - "pocket rocket"

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems that the initial fervor has died down on the Fenix P1...
.... pity......

The Fenix P1 - a 3watt Lux, single CR123A - was one in the bunch of flashlights 4sevens (http://fenix-store.com/) very kindly sent me on loan for CPF review.

Please see also -

Fenix L1T (vs. L1 v2.5, L2T, Civictor, P1)

Fenix L1P with Color LEDs

Size -
FenixP1sz.jpg

as can be seen, amazingly small for even a single CR123 flashlight......

Heads -
FenixP1hds.jpg

diameter of the Fenix P1 is the same as the AA Fenix L1 and L2T.

Even though the Fenix P1 is dimunitive and easily pocketable - it still comes with a neat, but rugged looking belt-pouch
FenixP1pouch.jpg

vs. Nuwai Q3 both on primary CR123A
FenixP1_Q3prim.jpg
FenixP1_Q3prim2U.jpg

hard to judge because of the tint difference - but the Fenix P1 seems just a bit brighter.....

(on primary CR123A) vs. Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium) on alkaline
FenixP1_L1.jpg
FenixP1_L1U2.jpg

the Fenix P1 is noticably brighter

(on primary CR123A) vs. Fenix L2T on alkalines
FenixP1_L2T.jpg
FenixP1_L2T2U.jpg

The L2T might be a bit brighter - but it's close and to me makes no practical difference the beams are so similar.

(on primary CR123A) vs. LightHound 3w V3 on 3.7V RCR123 -
FenixP1prim_V3RCR.jpg
FenixP1prim_V3RCR2U.jpg

The LightHound is just brighter - but surprisingly close.....

OK what if the Fenix P1 was on 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123?

(3.7V RCR123) vs. Nuwai Q3 on primary CR123A
FenixP1RCR_Q3prim.jpg
FenixP1RCR_Q3prim2U.jpg

Fenix P1 on RCR123 is brighter

(3.7V RCR123) vs. Nuwai Q3 with RCR123
FenixP1_Q3RCR.jpg
FenixP1_Q3RCR2U.jpg

comparable - but maybe the Fenix P1 on RCR123 is a shade brighter.

(3.7V RCR123) vs. LightHound 3w V3 on 3.7V RCR123
FenixP1_V3RCR.jpg
FenixP1_V3RCR2U.jpg

very comparable

Previously, I called the 3watt Nuwai Q3 and LightHound V3 on 3.7V RCR123 - spectacular in brightness. Here's a flashlight LESS than 1/2 the size that has comparable brightness on 3.7V RCR123 (does get warm pretty quickly) - but even on primary CR123A it acquits itself very well indeed.

It is a true "Pocket Rocket" in every sense of the word.......

Last edited:

dtsoll

Enlightened
I agree Vincent and thanks for the great comparisons!! This has to be the neatest little light I have seen in a long time considering the price and what this light is good for. Very pocketable, bright, great runtime, tailstands, everything I want it to do! Yeah, I wish it were two stage also but, it isn't and I still like the light a great deal! Not sure for how long but it has bumped my U60 out of its spot. For now anyway! Doug:)

LightAddict

Newly Enlightened
Love mine! just got it today from fenix-store.Its great.fast shipping too.WOW that rcr123 makes it really bright.need to get some rcr's and a charger

jtice

Flashaholic
The P1 turned out to be a really nice light.
Pretty good runtime, and great output.
Not to mention its super small !

~John

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is kickin' some hiney. The L1P has been my EDC since it was introduced, and the P1 is a real contender.

Just ordered my 7th Fenix, but I'm a sicko.

cheers

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
Yea, I agree too, the P1 is a serious light, and my favorite carry in its belt holster. Also, I never thought I'd remove my keychain attached Arc AAA-P, but replaced it with a LOP, yea, I know it has less run time, but I'm happy to trade that run time for the big increase in brightness....

What will be next in the inovative world of flashlight LED technology?????

Last edited:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I'm as happy with my P1 as I was the day I got it, and that is very happy. I've used it, and played with it, several times a day. My only problem was with my Surefire 123s not working, but I tried it earlier today and it worked. I think the foam ring just had to break in a little. I'll still probably hit 4sevens up for the replacement ring, just in case other brands pose problems. I wish that the lanyard ring holes were a bit bigger, but then the light would be longer.

I really like the silver color on mine, the knurling is well done, and the threads are as good as those on my Innovas, M@gs, et al.

I'm just looking forward to the two stage (P1T?) that I hope is in the works.:grin2:

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I'm just looking forward to the two stage (P1T?) that I hope is in the works.:grin2:[/QUOTE said:
I agree a 2 stage P1 would the the cat's well you know - especially if Fenix can keep the price decent.

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
How safe is it to run it on the RCR123s?? I keep hearing it'll take the extra power batteries and jump to ~75 lumens, but is there any chance it'll damage the light (or...explode)?
Thanks,
jOE

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
the batteries need to be protected RCRs.

this set up is excellent!

I love my P1 from 4sevens on RCRs from lighthound.com !!!

frisco

Enlightened
The Fenix P1 is the best kept secret in flashlights today !!!

My two favorite "Budget" small lights are:

Fenix P1 on rCR123 and the Fenix L2P w/nekomane rCR2

Great lights in the $50.00 range.

My fav "Budget" 1AA size is the JetBeam w/14500 battery (I still need to try the the L1T w/14500 battery)

I love the finish on the P1 !!!! I wish Fenix would do a run of there other products with this same finish !!!!

frisco

Fiddleback

Enlightened
I really like my P1. I'm using protected RCR's. I haven't had any of the problems I've read about, and mine has pretty good tint too.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I e-mailed 4sevens today to request the newer foam ring, and got a reply in 5 minutes.:goodjob: From my other Fenix Store experiences I predict it will be here by Tuesday.

berto

Newly Enlightened
I was going to buy one of these but why do I need protected r123's every light that I have that can run on rechargeables Ive used unprotected cells .Is this light different?

frisco

Enlightened
berto said:
I was going to buy one of these but why do I need protected r123's every light that I have that can run on rechargeables Ive used unprotected cells .Is this light different?

Unprotected work just fine. (for the edumacated!)

frisco

Latest posts