Fenix P1 - "pocket rocket"

jayb79

Newly Enlightened
Vincent,
You have got to stop this. This site is costing me lately.
Just kidding. Great work as usual.
I just ordered a P1, i couldn't help myself.
Last week i ordered the HDS 42, a great EDC for work and the P1 will be my home EDC. It is an addiction.

Paintstorm

Newly Enlightened
lol, i completely agree jay. I just saw someont mentioning a t4 on another thread, and after reading it I think I might order one up. Going broke but certainly not in the dark!:lolsign:

capriman86

Newly Enlightened
Paintstorm said:
lol, i completely agree jay. I just saw someont mentioning a t4 on another thread, and after reading it I think I might order one up. Going broke but certainly not in the dark!:lolsign:

I own a T4 also....great light. Been more then happy with it.
Finicky charging issues is what most users have experienced.
Doesn't like to seat on the charger pins well sometimes.

Although this Fenix really holds its own to it pretty well!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current draw readings from the Fenix P1

Primary CR123A (2.96V o-c) = 0.80A
Rechargeable RCR123 (4.03V o-c) = 0.63A

So on primary CR123A the total power draw for the Fenix P1 at the battery was 2.37watts.
on rechargeable RCR123 (3.7V Li-ion) power draw was 2.54watts.

Vega

Newly Enlightened
Woah... few hours later and 30+ posts!

This P1 Sounds popular and might just be my ticket to a torch that is small, practical and will impress me mates by packing some light.

I live in UK so will have to hunt around for suppliers. Anyone know where I should get some Protected 123 batt's for this too ?

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
I like my QIII, but the P1 keeps me wondering if I should change my EDC.

UnknownVT:

Great shots and info.

Just for farther comparison...Do you happen to know the the bin of of LED in the QIII? Also, is the QIII using the old board (~700mAh on primary) or the new board (~1000mAh on primary)...that is to say what is the QIII draw readings?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound.com for the RCR123 set up, 4sevens, fenix store for your P1

about $80 delivered:sold:

I envisioned this as my "poor man's" answer to the FF3. It definitely outdoes my Q3!

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to be content with my Q3, but the P1 beam shot looks great without no green tint.

chiphead

brunt_sp

Enlightened
I got my P1 from Lighthound last week - there was no foam ring in it. The flashlight rattles whenever it is off. I intend to email Lighthound unless any member can advise whether this is standard now.

anarchistpetey

Newly Enlightened
I have that same issue brunt. I just received mine from 4Sevens today. It seems to be about exactly as bright as my L1P, but with a smaller form-factor. Awesome light. I love the Natural finish too. But the battery rattle somewhat annoys me. I was going to make a foam ring myself, and probably still will. Would be faster than waiting for one to arrive. One other small gripe I have with the P1 is that mine has a slightly off-center L.E.D.. I don't think it affects the beam at all, but it is noticeable when looking down the business-end.

I would EDC this little guy if it was more practical for me to carry. I don't really like to have something bigger than quarters flopping around in my pockets. I also don't like having to dig into my pockets to get something.
Currently I carry my L1P, I prefer it because I retrofitted a Dorcy Metal-Gear pocket clip to it, which makes it much more accessible for me. And it makes the light look even nicer. I also love clickies, more convenient and more fun. So far my experiences with Fenix and 4Sevens have been wonderful. I love this brand. I have never been a fan of Chinese products, it's not that I hated them, they are part of our every-day life, and some Chinese products are great quality, like the Fenix's. Amazing little lights.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
brunt_sp said:
I got my P1 from Lighthound last week - there was no foam ring in it. The flashlight rattles whenever it is off. I intend to email Lighthound unless any member can advise whether this is standard now.
I got my P1 from the Fenix-Store.com a couple of weeks ago. Mine didn't come with a foam ring either. The battery rattled like yours. I wrapped electrical tape around the battery, 1 layer, and it worked pretty good. On my next order, I ask 4sevens for a replacment foam ring and and it was included with my order. Never said but.... Thanks!!
I guess you could try the same from Lighthound.... or, I understand you can also make one for yourself with a small Dr. Scholls corn pad. I picked some up but haven't tried it. The replacement I received works good. I even left the tape on the battery.

bamabright

Newly Enlightened
brunt_sp said:

I can give my 2 cents to these other questions, but first, the foam ring situation. I have 2 p1's and neither came with the foam ring. I have never actually seen this foam ring!!?? Anyway, there was a thread (forgot where) but using a corn pad (yes, for feet!!) works perfectly.. dr,scholes was recommended, I used the value brand at wal- mart. Takes a little trim with sissors, but its a perfect fit with great adhesive and NO MORE RATTLE!! I had a buddy checkin out my p1 and he was like..Is that a freakin foot corn thing in there!!:lolsign:

The other folks debating the qIII or the p1, its a toss, 2 totally different lights, I personally like the QIII for edc, I have a upgraded reflector and a 2 stage switch, and it now smokes my p1's in throw!! Well not smoke...but it is noticeable.

I run ONLY rcr123's in both these lights, and I have never had a problem, qIII gets warm, the p1 gets hot, and my orb raw actually smokes:D !! Just kiddin'!!

Bottom line, 2 totally different lights, the p1 has a more consistend color temp between models (from what I have seen) the qIII does not!! (from what I have seen) The qIII is small, the p1 is just plain tiny!! twisty vs. clicky. A pain to mod, and an even more pain to mod. Ypu cant go wrong with either though, but the qIII + upgrades (2 stage, reflector) that make it more of a useable, brighter light for the smae money (just my opinion).

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Vega said:
Woah... few hours later and 30+ posts!

This P1 Sounds popular and might just be my ticket to a torch that is small, practical and will impress me mates by packing some light.

I live in UK so will have to hunt around for suppliers. Anyone know where I should get some Protected 123 batt's for this too ?

Hi I have no idea if you can get R123's over here, I have used Lighthound in the past, great service

Mark

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy Shackleford wrote: "Just for farther comparison...Do you happen to know the the bin of of LED in the QIII? Also, is the QIII using the old board (~700mAh on primary) or the new board (~1000mAh on primary)...that is to say what is the QIII draw readings?"

Many thanks for the kind words.

I don't know the bin# of the LuxIII in my Q3 -
I've not been able to open the head despite boil-in-the-bag -
and I'm too whimpy to try wretching for fear of damaging the finish.

However I do know my Q3 is the older style - which draws about 700mA on primary CR123A, and has the reverse clicky - I reviewed it in this thread -

Nuwai Q3

there is a post by 3rd_shift in that thread that suggests it may be a SX1* tint Luxeon3 ......

Also you might want to check out -

Nuwai Q3 with RCR123 + Nano Charger

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
Randy Shackleford wrote: "Just for farther comparison...Do you happen to know the the bin of of LED in the QIII? Also, is the QIII using the old board (~700mAh on primary) or the new board (~1000mAh on primary)...that is to say what is the QIII draw readings?"

Many thanks for the kind words.

I don't know the bin# of the LuxIII in my Q3 -
I've not been able to open the head despite boil-in-the-bag -
and I'm too whimpy to try wretching for fear of damaging the finish.

However I do know my Q3 is the older style - which draws about 700mA on primary CR123A, and has the reverse clicky - I reviewed it in this thread -

Nuwai Q3

there is a post by 3rd_shift in that thread that suggests it may be a SX1* tint Luxeon3 ......

Also you might want to check out -

Nuwai Q3 with RCR123 + Nano Charger

good to know.

perhaps a QIII U bin running on a 1000mAh board are factors I'll consider when comparing these two.

lightrod

Enlightened
Does this light have a easy/smooth twist motion - easy to operate in one hand?