14500 Based Light

Chura

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Today I have Uniquefire AA-S1 which I love but run for few minutes only (on 14500).
So its very useful in some cases, however I'm looking for another flashlight to run longer.

Requirement:
1. Run on AA or 14500.
2. Small size.
3. Long run, 60+ min on 14500
4. Aim 30$, however I'm not sure if its reasonable. If non to find i'll raise the bar.

I saw NiteCoe MT1A and OLight S15, however i'm not sure they will answer my requirement, also the s15 is nice but 50$.
Please advice on other models or maybe what I saw was the right ones.

Thanks!

mellowhead

Enlightened
The S15 would probably be good for you. dealsmachine dot com has them for $33 USD + use coupon code BLA2014 for $3 off your order. I've never ordered anything from them, so I don't know how good they are to deal with.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno E03 in warm white, neutral white, or cool white and fabulous designer colors.

M>L>H with hidden blinkies for the newest version. My NW XM-L T5 is a pretty nice little light, but it has no pocket clip, so I don't carry it as much these days. It screams on a naked Sanyo UR14500P and was a pretty bright light in its day.

Chris

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
The Nitecore SRT-3 comes with an AA adapter. While they don't specifically advertise it, it works just fine with 14500. I been using a low quality 14500 in mine for several months now. In turbo, I only get about 10 minutes. But if I back it down off turbo just a bit, that runtime increases to over one hour. I have never done a run test in the low setting (< 1 lumen) but I imagine it is long time. I plan to order some better quality cells after the holidays and maybe I will get better performance. You will love the adjustable ring.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That T10T is a pretty little bird :)

Yes it is. I installed a trit in the lanyard slot (I got the idea from Gunga.)

image.jpg

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
I am a fan of aa/14500 fuel sources,

I have fenix E 12. It's ok. $27CAD (30. W/taxes) liked it so much I bought the fenix E25. I don't like the button position or the holding for 3 seconds for on/off. Not tried the 14500 in them ..

On the way in the mail is a Balder SE-1 w/ Cree XP-G2 R5 (AA/14500)$22.99. I found this on EDC+ dot com thinking about the xeno e03.
I ordered the diffuse for the E03. Hopefully it fits the balder.

Also on the way is an olight s15 baton with extension tube. I read some good reviews. The s10 is a tank but cr123.

Both these light will take 14500s, but from what I read they operate optimum with two aa Nimh .
That T10t looks like a nice light too.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love AAA lights and I'm moving to AA Eneloops gradually. I like the T10 because of the low L and well spaced modes. Respectable output on H. As a bonus, it runs on li-ions. There are other nice AA lights from L3 Illumination, Quark and Fenix, but the T10 in SS, Ti or Aluminum just hits the right buttons for me.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you set a $30 limit. But if you are willing to consider the S15, you might also want to look into the SC52. It's bright (even the Thrunite Neutron V2 doesn't better it in terms of continuous brightness), has LOTS of modes, and there are no mode problems with a 14500. Runtime is about an hour on high with a high capacity 14500, longer on the lower modes. And if you want high CRI, you can get the SC52d. It's less bright than the SC52/SC52w. But it's still brighter than all but a few 1xAA lights.

Another thing to consider with your current light is your battery. Lots of 14500s are actually pretty pathetic in terms of capacity. So if you aren't already, you might want to try running a good quality battery such as the Sanyo UR14500p. It's the best 14500 out there in terms of capacity.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some AA lights that FULLY support 14500s - ie, retains all lower modes at spec. None are $30 though.

15248122055_f35359be3d_z.jpg

M1n1cr33

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Requirement:
1. Run on AA or 14500.
2. Small size.
3. Long run, 60+ min on 14500
4. Aim 30$, however I'm not sure if its reasonable. If non to find i'll raise the bar.

Thanks!

Hi,

my only personal experiences with single AA LED lights so far are with the Zebralight SC52 and the Eagletac D25A (Ti XP-G2 + standard Nichia 219).

Even though the SC52 is not in your price range, I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for a nice single AA:

+ VERY compact, not noticable as an EDC when clipped inside your front pocket
+ When you played with the UI a bit/learned the navigational pathways, it's easy to use and allows for quick, single hand arrival at the desired setting using one hand/button only.
(Button placement is, of course, personal preference, but I like to hold the light "casually" (compared to tactical) so the button is right where it should be.)
+ Is VERY bright on 14500. Used them for at least a year now, runtime is shorter than 2500 NimH naturally, that's why I went for the SC62 ;) (Still keep my SC52 of course)
+ Quick selfcheck of the internal electronics when tightening the tailcap (short flash) to ensure no inside short present (nice to know, I use unprotected IMRs in all my lights ;) )
+ Quick turn (~5mm) of the tailcap locks out the light physically
+ Very low lumen setting possible (0.01 lumen) which is nice in the middle of the night/when your eyes are most sensitive to darkness.
+ 4 quick clicks = battery capacity check
+ I think the beam characteristics are well balanced, still some spot, still enough spill
+ due to the machined casing from one solid piece of aluminum = robust feel. Also survived all accidental drops yet ;)

~ 1 year warranty
~ not a great performer with alkaline (but which light is, really?)
~ not sure if flat top cells are working (although I read it does, here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?364150 )
~ if tint/light color is of high importance to you, you might want to lean more towards their neutral white XM-L2 offer (my current XM-L2 CW has the most "greenish" tint of all my lights but, of course, only actually discernible in direct comparison with other lights. If you want most brightness at night: get the CW)
~ configuring the alternative modes, like the 0.01 lumen moonlight, is a bit "hectic" ;) it needs 6 double clicks to get into the programmable part and continued double clicks change the alternative mode setting. With the different moonlight modes you might only realize "where you are" in the programming maybe after the 10th double click ;) When the right one is set you just stop clicking, thankfully ;)
You only set those once, usually anway.

- Seems it has NO reverse polarity protection! (never an issue here, I only use button top AAs/14500s)
- Not much chance of fixing stuff, like a broken lens (bezel tightly pressed into the head) or if you have a stuck protected cell inside (no way of getting to the cell from the other side/nothing to "unscrew" except the tailcap. The light is one solid piece of aluminum. I managed to get a cell unstuck but it was a drama ;) )
- very sharp corners at the clip mount if used without clip (overall the clip is very smooth when joined with the lamp, so, no issue if you leave the clip attached, of course)
- not widely available (but worth it!)

Have to say I was dissapointed with this years D25A lights (mainly less bright than expected (even on 14500s) but most importantly an annoying blueish halo based on suboptimal refraction and their coating, I believe).
But don't get me wrong: still an "ET" fan ;)

TL;DR:
+1 for the SC52 :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given your budget, have a look at the L3 Illumination L10 and L10C. I don't know the runtimes, but my L10s (XP-G2 and N219) run fine with a 14500. I think there is a review with a runtime test, but probably using Eneloops).

Chura

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Everyone.
I took the time as you can see, but it Paid off.
I've just ordered the Olight S15R from Banggood, Hope its fine dealer (read some good and bad).
I need the Olight for my upcoming Yosemite and Zion part visit and camping.

Thanks for the extra-helpful people here!

Chura

Newly Enlightened
So I got the S15R and I LOVE it! honestly, its my first good one and I couldn't guess how good it is.
Quick question, I can see many water tests on the S15, does the S15R is same durability ? (in term of cold and water)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got the S15R and I LOVE it! honestly, its my first good one and I couldn't guess how good it is.
Quick question, I can see many water tests on the S15, does the S15R is same durability ? (in term of cold and water)
In cold weather,, the rechargeable battery inside your light, I've a pair of S10Rs, will lose its storage capacity and have shortened run times in very cold weather.
Around minus 15 Celsius and below, unless you keep it warm on your person or in hand.
Grab a package of lithium primaries if you need cold weather performance, just remember not to try and put light on charger base without original battery inside.
Otherwise, a brilliant light, nice score.

Edit, I know that say they're the same level of water resistance, I wouldn't push my luck with a "R" model because the base pin needs to be kept clean, it moves when set on base charger and debris can be lodged in mechanism. If you have trouble with light turning on, putting in charger an off a couple times will settle pin.
Olight has a issue with tail caps on these, if you have trouble, email them an inform them and they will send a updated tail cap when they're ready.
Mine are OK, but I've emailed and asked for new caps, which they will send when ready as said by their CS.
It's still a great light.

Have a great one.

Last edited:

Chura

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information.
Actually mine works just fine for now.
as for extreme cold condition, that's not my point, just wanna know if I can be safe with the light on some works I do some with rain or mud.

Thanks again, great forums, great people.