2007 Inova - new products?

xm_8

Banned
2007 Inova - Did Inova showcase new products at the Shot Show? Any news on new products?

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love it if Inova came on board with the Seoul Led. Mated with some of their lights would be irresistable to me.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to hate myself for even posting this but here's the deal for Inova 2007:

Some of this should be taken with a grain of salt as I've already received 2007 product that wasn't as listed on the 2007 product modification sheet.

-TIROS is going away on every light, all lights will have clear mineral glass lense (AR)/reflectors.
New Wattage Ratings for the whole line:
X1 2W
XO 4.8W
XO3 5.8W (Got some. Package reads 3.9W, not 5.8W. Clearly a K2 inside.)
T1 4.8W (now 2 X CR123A)
T2 4.8W (also listed as 2 x cr123a - now that makes no sense right?)
T3 5.8W
T4 7.0W (Got some, wattage not listed, pkging says 125 Lumens. Clearly a K2 inside.)
T5 7.0W

New BOLT series lights - not out yet - supposed to look like us bolts. 2AA/2AAA/2CR123A 2/3.8/4.8W

Pricing on some X and all T series is up. Expect to see low retail on T4's climb to 100+. etc etc etc

xm_8

Banned
Are the new X and T series a flood beam?
Are the new X and T series no longer throwers?
Has the X5 been discontinued like the 24/7?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having a reflector is more dramatic than an optic. The casual user can see/compare the light source (so small!) and the tremendous output. With the original x1 you couldn't even see the led.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new lights still have decent throw but less than with the TIROS versions. The beam (white wall hunting) is much smoother and cleaner with a fairly tight hotspot and more than average sidespill. The reflector is nicely done and looks to be brushed aluminum.

Neither the X5 or 24/7 has been discontinued - though pricing is up on the 24/7's. The 'titanium' color 24/7 was discon. earlier this year and only the 24/7 with the acc kit is available.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have a few cases of the new ones and was planning to sell the 'old' ones first - email me though and I'd be happy to make it happen for you if you want a new one. You could even come pick it up as I see you're in CT. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
MattK said:
X1 2W
XO 4.8W
T1 4.8W (now 2 X CR123A)
T3 5.8W
T4 7.0W (Got some, wattage not listed, pkging says 125 Lumens. Clearly a K2 inside.)
T5 7.0W

so the new x1 will use a luxeon?
XO bump to 5 watt led et al? :wtf:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if only they'd upgrade the electronics so they're not running so close to their limits and would allow the use of LiIon cells. These issues have kept me from the T3 which I'd, otherwise, like to have.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayflash said:
Now if only they'd upgrade the electronics so they're not running so close to their limits and would allow the use of LiIon cells. These issues have kept me from the T3 which I'd, otherwise, like to have.
I use 3.0V RCR123's (available at BatteryJunction too) in my T3 (and T1) with no issue. My regulated 3.7V RCR's don't fit anyway.

Martini

Enlightened
MattK said:
-TIROS is going away on every light, all lights will have clear mineral glass lense (AR)/reflectors.
New Wattage Ratings for the whole line:
X1 2W
XO 4.8W
T1 4.8W (now 2 X CR123A)
T3 5.8W
T5 7.0W

New BOLT series lights - not out yet - supposed to look like us bolts. 2AA/2AAA/2CR123A 2/3.8/4.8W

Pricing on some X and all T series is up. Expect to see low retail on T4's climb to 100+. etc etc etc
Wow. For the time being at least, Inova is dead to me. A lot of these changes don't make any sense. I can see using a power LED for the X1, but why up the output so much? The point of the X1 was long runtime on a common cell (or so I thought). And the T1 is now a 2 cell light? Something is not right, because the T1 and T2 cannot be the same light. I was really hoping to see Inova get some better electronics and maybe something that will take an 18650 (or any larger Li-ion). I wasn't expecting to see XR-Es yet, but I wasn't expecting K2s either. The price increases aren't going to make anybody happy. I suppose there will be a big grab for the old stock soon.

Raven

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, and now a question. Does the new XO3 have more flood, than the old XO3?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said in my post - I'd take some of this with a grain of salt until the product actually arrives. I'm thinking the 2 x CR on the T1 has gotta be an error -

The new XO3 definitely has more flood and my eyeballs say it's total output is higher as well. In many ways, and it's certainly an opinion, I think that the reflector lense combos generally lend themselves to a better rounded more general purpose product. If you're into big throw then it seems you're likely to be disappointed so if you want more TIROS Inova buy it soon.

xm_8

Banned
More throw is the way to go for daily use. I welcome the changes. I have a X02 and it is nice but I prefer my flood beam lights.

xm_8

Banned
More flood is the way to go for daily use. I welcome the changes. I have a X02 and it is nice but I prefer my flood beam lights.

Has the output increased on the 24/7 or is it the same? Are there changes to the 24/7? Have the leds been upgraded?

The 24/7 was reviewed in 2003 at:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_24-7.htm

It got 4 out of 5 stars.

Last edited:

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
I think ditching the TIROS would be a big, big mistake. Yes, I agree that if you are seeking a single light to serve all purposes, a reflector is better, but no light does everything well. Not even my HDS EDC. The tight beam, uniform center, long throw of the T-series was their best feature, perfect if you were searching for something at a distance or spotting wildlife.

And I agree that making the X1 into a high-output light is a mistake - this was supposed to be an alternative to Gerber's mangled mutation of the CMG IU!

I am also very interested in whether they are going to upgrade LEDs in the 24/7. I think this light was a "near miss" for Inova. Quite good as it is, but with a few changes it could have been outstanding. There is flat-out no easier light switch to operate in cold weather with gloved or mittened hands, by the way - recently confirmed that on a recent visit to Utah.

- Bill

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
How about changing the model numbers as they change the lights? Now we'll have three X1s - the original one with the lens, the new one with the reflector, the newest one with high-output.... Come on Inova! How about X1b or X2? Personally I'd prefer a higher powered X1, or better yet, dual stage. Fully-regulated would be a bonus. I'd love to know availability, but can't get that from their "updated website" which is "coming soon!"

Latest posts