5 watt IR LED, Anyone use them?

ManBearPig

Newly Enlightened
Ok here's what iI have going on. I built motion detecting video camera that I leave out on my property for weeks at a time. It uses a Sony Handycam with nightshot that I modified to record day and night in IR. The camera has a built in 6 volt 8 watt light that I set to come on automatically at night. I put an IR filter on the light but I'm not happy with it. Unless the subject is real close to the camera you cant see much. It also drains the battery much quicker. So I want something that is brighter with less battery drain.

I purchased one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Watt-Infrared-IR-LED-Night-vision-camera-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ250073863684QQihZ015QQcategoryZ26207QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
along with one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Watt-LED-Pulse-Driver-for-Luxeon-White-Blue-Green-IR_W0QQitemZ250070430935QQihZ015QQcategoryZ36323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and a 15 degree lens.

I've never messed with a luxeon style LED before so I need a little help to see if I'm doing this right.

If I hook the red+ and black- wires from the driver to the 6 volt +/- light output on my camera, then the yellow wire to the + on the LED, white to -, I should be ok to go right?

Any input would be appreciated.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, just reverse the order if your doing it live , SOME drivers dont like to be unloaded on the LEd side of the driver, so get your led wired up first, or at least before you power up the thing. its not usually a problem or worth worrying about, but the rest you already have covered.

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
Anyone find another place to buy these LEDs from? I believe the going rate for
these type of luxeons is $4 but I could be mistaken. Anyone have any
suggestions on where to do a bulk buy of these?

aileron

Newly Enlightened
Hubbard said:
Anyone find another place to buy these LEDs from? I believe the going rate for
these type of luxeons is $4 but I could be mistaken. Anyone have any
suggestions on where to do a bulk buy of these?

5W IR Luxeons for $4? Where'd you see that?

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
5watt Luxeons are on average $5-$10 a piece I believe. (If i'm wrong please tell me)
But I have yet to find a supplier of any IR luxeons at all except for this Ebay Seller.

aileron

Newly Enlightened
Hubbard said:
5watt Luxeons are on average $5-$10 a piece I believe. (If i'm wrong please tell me)
But I have yet to find a supplier of any IR luxeons at all except for this Ebay Seller.

I'm pretty sure OP's link is a 4-die IR emitter on a generic star heatsink (not a Luxeon), but either way I'm interested in any 5W IR LED for $4 (or $5 or $10).

ManBearPig

Newly Enlightened
Thank you VidPro for checking my connections.

This LED works great. I thought the $17 price was a little steep but I couldn't find any anywhere else. If someone locates them cheaper, I'd love to buy some more. It's much easier to wire up one of these than building an array with typical IR LEDs. Plus it's much smaller.

I'll post some video clips later if yall want to see a before and after.

aileron

Newly Enlightened
ManBearPig said:
Thank you VidPro for checking my connections.

This LED works great. I thought the $17 price was a little steep but I couldn't find any anywhere else. If someone locates them cheaper, I'd love to buy some more. It's much easier to wire up one of these than building an array with typical IR LEDs. Plus it's much smaller.

I'll post some video clips later if yall want to see a before and after.

I for one would love to see the results.
What optics did you end up using? Is the LED visible when on?

ManBearPig

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 15 degree lens from the same Ebay seller. It doesn't quite fill the frame. 20 degree lens would probably be perfect. There is a dark star-shaped pattern visible in the center. It's a little annoying. Would a different lens fix that?

Yes there is a slight red glow visible.

aileron

Newly Enlightened
ManBearPig said:
I bought a 15 degree lens from the same Ebay seller. It doesn't quite fill the frame. 20 degree lens would probably be perfect. There is a dark star-shaped pattern visible in the center. It's a little annoying. Would a different lens fix that?

Yes there is a slight red glow visible.
Some optics and reflectors are stippled to smooth out the beam, but you lose throw.
I'm thinking about buying one of the 1W.. do you think a quarter of the output would still be useful at the distance you're working with?
Thanks for putting up with my questions :)

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
Can you post pictures of the LED and pulse driver for us ManBearPig.

Or atleast tell us if there are any markings on the LED and the pulse driver
that could help us identify its maker to get them cheaper.

aileron

Newly Enlightened
Hubbard said:
Can you post pictures of the LED and pulse driver for us ManBearPig.

Or atleast tell us if there are any markings on the LED and the pulse driver
that could help us identify its maker to get them cheaper.

On that note, I've been looking at the 3W and 1W parts the same guy is selling..
The 3W is marked LUMILEDS.
I based my earlier assumption on the clear emitter housing, unfamiliar die type, the fact that the 1W and 5W aren't marked, and the emitter legs.

Now I'm not at all sure what they are, but I want one even more.

ManBearPig

Newly Enlightened
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8430/led033va.jpg
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4002/led01small8kw.jpg
There are the photos.

I couldn't find any markings on the driver or led. Nothing was hiding under the 6V1A sticker on the driver.

@aileron, Sorry, I don't really know how well the 1W would work. I only have my stock light that came with the camera with an IR filter to compare this 5 watter to. I'm new to this. I did a quick comparison video in my backyard last night that I'll try and upload this evening. The moon was pretty bright and the neighbors had some lights on so it wasn't ideal conditions. This thing will be out in the boonies taping wildlife. Here is a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b5B0aYMKi0
That deer was about 10 feet away. At about 20 feet you can barely see him and the camera has trouble focusing.

This thing gets pretty hot. Do I need a heat sink?

Last edited:

aileron

Newly Enlightened
Ooh, that's actually really useful. I think I'll grab a 1W and a 3W.
Hope they like reflectors..