EOS+XR-E+IMS20 & Seoul+IMS17= 2*Kick ***

ktronik

Enlightened
Yep, its no typo...IMS20 reflector in a EOS...but it comes @ a price...

Tried modding the IMS17... not really happy with that...

SO

Remove the tab under the star for max room... 0.6mm off bottom of IMS20, 7mm hole for led & 1 or 2mm off the face of the reflector to fit...

The price to pay was that I had to remove the 'heat kickback' resistor (for max room)...max power is still the same & by the time the LED cooks...cree will be up to 200lm / W

Best

Ktronik

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened
Re: EOS + XR-E + IMS20 = Kick ***

Just got dark...& had a test...

well you don't need high mode @ all... I am now only using LOW mode...BTW the 'heat kickback' circuit only works in high mode...so nothing lost really

Ktronik

ktronik

Enlightened

Grubbster said:
Interesting. Got any pics?

FirstDsent: Princeton Tec EOS is a easy to mod head mounted light...been around for a bit...

Pics soon...need to get some more batteries so I can show the difference between the PT eos SV1H / IMS17 & XR-E / IMS20...

Best

Ktronik

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

interesting. i have a mcr17xr on order that i hope to shoehorn into the eos-cree-ims17 mod i have. please elaborate on the "heat kickback" you removed, is that to prevent heat damamge? pics would be nice as well.
thanks

Tiny

Newly Enlightened

What does the heat kickback circuit do? It reduces the output when things get too hot? If this resistor isn't around, would it be dangerous to run the EOS at high permanently?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tiny said:
What does the heat kickback circuit do? It reduces the output when things get too hot? If this resistor isn't around, would it be dangerous to run the EOS at high permanently?

Probably, but some people like to live dangerously. :naughty: :naughty:

Can't wait to see some pictures of this. :popcorn:

ktronik

Enlightened

Yes, the Eos has no heatsink!! It does have a heat regulation circuit for 'high' mode, so when the LED get too hot it backs off the current a bit...That means a dimmer light... the hotter it gets the more it backs off the current...

Under the 'star' is a raised plastic tab, this is to give room for the NTC Thermistor (10k ohm) looks more like a diode than a resistor...(RT1-RT2)

eoswl8.jpg

I removed the tab for the heat reg circuit to gain more room for a heatsink...a while back...

eos6.jpg

CPF post

Flo's static resistor regulation data...

BTW, no current regulation in level middle and low, only in high

I found this out, after take the resistor and put it on the two contacts and the light flicker, but no flicker in middle and low setting, so in this to settings the heatregulation don´t work.

EOS Level
high 3.022V
middle 2.855V
low 2.714V

Now the stats

10kΩ 3.022V
8.55kΩ 3.022V
7.78kΩ 3.022V

6.78kΩ 2.962V
4.96kΩ 2.918V

3.24kΩ 2.895V
1.76kΩ 2.895V

to gain max room I had to remove the thermistor + the tab...

Yep... living dangerously...

Ktronik

ktronik

Enlightened

I call them 'punch' & 'floody'

eos2.jpg

Punch, on the right, Cree with modded IMS20, no heat circuit

Floody, on the left Seoul P4 with modded IMS17 (LS), heatsink & heat circuit

I really like the Seoul in the short LS reflector... real flood, great for close up stuff, where as the cree in the IMS20 is super punchy, totaly kick ***... :)

Ktronik

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened
eosbeam.jpg

Left to right, SSC P4 Ubin, Cree XR-E P4bin, Stock eos

The cree eos has a brighter hotspot (IMS20), the seoul eos is more floody & has a nicer beam (IMS17ls), the photo does not really show that...I like the seoul eos the most... :)

Ktronik

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened

Ktronic, do you know what what currrent levels the SSC goes through in each of the levels? I'd like to get an idea of the brightness each level would have. Also, is there any way to get rid of the optics for almost purely spill-only?

ktronik

Enlightened

zeeexsixare said:
Ktronic, do you know what what currrent levels the SSC goes through in each of the levels? I'd like to get an idea of the brightness each level would have. Also, is there any way to get rid of the optics for almost purely spill-only?

Different led will take different current...have not tested the SSC P4

the voltage output from the EOS:

High 3.022V (heat regulated)
Medium 2.855V
Low 2.714V

the Seoul is real floody already, I stippled my IMS17 reflector... for more spill... for max spill just run a bare emitter...

K

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened

Thanks ktronik... exactly what I was looking for...

Edwood

Enlightened
ktronik said:
eosbeam.jpg

The cree eos has a brighter hotspot (IMS20), the seoul eos is more floody & has a nicer beam (IMS17ls), the photo does not really show that...I like the seoul eos the most... :)

Ktronik

How did you mod the IMS17 to make the beam so smooth? Mine has a doughnut in the hot spot, and rings galore.

-Ed

ktronik

Enlightened
Edwood said:
How did you mod the IMS17 to make the beam so smooth? Mine has a doughnut in the hot spot, and rings galore.

-Ed

Have you shaved the small end of the reflector??

K

daveman

Enlightened
ktronik said:
eosbeam.jpg

Ktronik
I can't help but notice that in almost every XR-E vs. SSC P4 beamshot, the XR-E ALWAYS (excluding aspheric lense) invests more of its lumens into the corona, resulting in a brighter, albeit not always bigger, corona. In this photo, the SSC has a marginally wider corona, but the XR-E's corona is clearly brighter, even at its edge.

Edwood

Enlightened
ktronik said:
Have you shaved the small end of the reflector??

K

No. The reflector is a bit loose in there to begin with, wouldn't it make it even more wobbly and loose in there if I make the reflector shorter?

-Ed