JETBeam C-LE quick and mini review (Low mode runtime added)

NetKidz

Enlightened
JETBeam C-LE quick and mini review (5/5 Updated with New Version)

EDIT: 5/5 Updated with new version C-LE (v1.2 ?), Please scroll down to see it.

Just got the first batch JETBeam C-LE sold in China (1000 pcs?) from a friend. The original sales thread seems to be this one: http://www.xitek.com/market/showmproduct.php?productid=4717 (Chinese)

A quick spec overview:
  • Cree XR-E P4
  • Aluminum OP reflector
  • Harden glass lens
  • T6061 Aluminum Alloy, Type III HA
  • 1 AA battery (1.0-1.5v)
  • Head dia. 19.5mm, tail dia. 17mm, length 85mm
  • Weight 32g (bettery not included)
  • Twisty type switch
  • 10m water-resistance
  • Multi-mode output: Med/Low/High/Strobe(10Hz)/SOS
  • Output level: about 40/20/80 Lm
  • Run time: about 7/30/2 hrs.
I think the design is for average peoples, thus it's cheap and could only take AA battery, no 14500 Li-ion. Mine only came with the light, one holster. That's all and no packaging. :ohgeez:

Okay let's see some photos.

C-LE with holster:
C-LE-01.jpg

Head and tail:
C-LE-02.jpg

The bottom PCB: (One had a solder bulb to fix the contact)
C-LE-03.jpg

Tube inside:
C-LE-04.jpg

Reflector:
C-LE-05.jpg

Compared with other 1x AA lights:
C-LE-06.jpg

There should be a pad in the tube bottom but not included. The dealer said would be sent later. I made one by myself, otherwise the battery would be rolling when it's OFF.
C-LE-07.jpg

The color is like dark gray or dark olivaceous (?). The knurling of the tube and head are smooth and easy to hold. The twisty is easy to operate also. Turn tighten to switch ON, loosen to OFF.

Switch the light ON would first in Medium output. Switch it OFF then ON within 1s would jump to next mode and cycle through Med/Low/High/Strobe/SOS. If switch OFF more than 1s, it'll be reset and start from the Medium next time.

The output is stable with High mode. If move the head back and forth, I could notice it's flickering in Medium and Low mode.

Need to go back to work. :ohgeez: Would take some beamshot tomorrow night and would do some run time test at weekend if I've done my work.

Emilion said the new batch are with "improved" reflectors and have new packaging. I also joined one of the GB. I'll compare them to see what's improved when I get it. :laughing:

==== Beam Shot Added ====
(fineday also post many good photos at: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151267 Be sure to check them also. :) )

Here're the Lux Reading of my LF1 with 1AA and C-LE at 1m distance:

LF1 High:360 Low:38
CL-E High:710 Medium:321 Low:70

Here's my Fenix L1 with SX0H at left, C-LE in between, LiteFlux LF1 at right:
C-LE-Beam00.jpg

The wall is creamy white. My C-LE makes me feel my LF1 (TW0J) is a little yellowish but not so greenish in the photo. The Fenix L1 looks similar with C-LE, but it's greenish in the photo. ?_?

Sorry for the poor photos below. My DC couldn't do full manual mode to use the same settings and I didn't find a good way to hold the lights. Basically the C-LE center spot is tighter than LF1. (Maybe it's because the reflector is deeper?)

C-LE High at left, LF1 High at right (EV -0.0)
C-LE-Hi-Beam-LF1-1.jpg

C-LE High at left, LF1 High at right (EV -0.9)
C-LE-Hi-Beam-LF1-2.jpg

C-LE High at left, LF1 High at right (EV -1.5)
C-LE-Hi-Beam-LF1-3.jpg

C-LE Medium at left, LF1 High at right (EV -0.0)
C-LE-Me-Beam-LF1-1.jpg

C-LE Medium at left, LF1 High at right (EV -0.9)
C-LE-Me-Beam-LF1-2.jpg

C-LE Medium at left, LF1 High at right (EV -1.5)
C-LE-Me-Beam-LF1-3.jpg

C-LE Low at left, LF1 High at right (EV -0.0)
C-LE-Lo-Beam-LF1-1.jpg

C-LE Low at left, LF1 High at right (EV -0.9)
C-LE-Lo-Beam-LF1-2.jpg

C-LE Low at left, LF1 High at right (EV -1.5)
C-LE-Lo-Beam-LF1-3.jpg

==== Head disassemible photo ====

I tried to open the head but failed. Maybe I didn't use the right tool with right force? :laughing:

Here're two photo from elwm58 at www.shoudian.com (A flashlight forum in China)

C-LE-Head01.jpg

C-LE-Head02.jpg

==== Runtime Added ====
Finally I've done the runtime for High and Medium mode. I have no time to do the runtime for the Low mode. It's done using the simple method: "Direct shot to the Lux meter" and put them all in my closet. My lux meter couldn't do recording, thus I use PowerToys Timershot to take the photo every one minute with my webcam and key in excel by hand.

The battery used is eneloop 2000mAh NiMH. Discharging at 0.5A about 1950mAh on MH-C9000.

The heat of the flashlight doesn't generate much, even with the high mode, it's a little warm. In High mode, at about 2 hours, the output drop sharply. In medium, the output drop sharply about 4h30m.

C-LE-runtime.gif

Here's the runtime with low mode. It's about 17 hours when the output drop sharply.

C-LE-runtime-all.gif

==== New Version C-LE update (v1.2 ?)====

Just got my new version C-LE several days ago, and here's a quick comparison between them. Besically, the packaging and looking are the same. Thus, I just took a few more photos.

From one flashlight forums in China, the new version has the following improvement:
1. Improved threading.
2. Improved efficiency and brightness.
3. PWM frequency increased 5 times.
4. Memorized last mode.

The mode changing is the same as old version. You must do ON-OFF-ON within 1 second.

The memory feature will memorize the last mode you use and resume when turn ON. When you switching to a new mode, it'll blink once aftrer 1 second to inform you that the current mode is memorized. If you turn it OFF over 2 seconds, it'll back to the same mode when turn ON. (Will not blink once if you stay in this memorized mode).

The threading space is larger (loosen) than the old one, this the tube isn't interchangeable. The setting of High mode is brighter than old version, medium mode is dimmer than old version, low mode is about the same.

I took the 1m lux reading again for reference. Low/Medium/High:

Old Version: 65/302/681
New Version: 66/265/761

The high mode runtime is longer and it's also brighter, thus the circuit effiency should be improved indeed.

I don't have equipments to measure the PWM frequency, thus I took a photo to demo the improvement:
CLE-12-MK2X-PWM.jpg

(Upper is old C-LE in low, medium is new C-LE in low, bottom is MK.II X in 5%)
From the photo, rough estimating yield at least 4 times faster. I could still notice some flickering, but I think most users shouldn't notice it. :)

Here's some photos.

C-LE-new-01.jpg

(Upper: New version)

C-LE-new-02.jpg

(Left: New version. The texture is the same, the photo looks different due to the angel)

C-LE-new-03.jpg

(Left: New version. My new C-LE came with orange color o-ring. The thread spacing is little larger)

C-LE-new-04.jpg

(Left: New version. The PCB didn't have JETBeam on it with the new version)

Runtime as follow (Old version also re-tested). The low mode would spend much time, thus I skip it). The battery used is 2000mAh eneloop NiMH.

High mode runtime:
C-LE-runtime-new-high.jpg

Medium mode runtime:
C-LE-runtime-new-medium.jpg

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JETBeam C-LE quick and mini review

Nice looking light! I may have to get one to to go with my MKII!
Anyone in USA going to ditriute them?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the sneak peek, andy.

Paul, I believe TAD gear will carry it, and you can order from emilion's online store direct, but not sure if there's still stock. It was there for a slightly higher price than the GB, but I believe it might have sold out by now.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened

It looks like the negative contact is a dimple, and not a spring. Correct?
If so, that's too bad, because I didn't like how the old CMG Infinities would dent the bottom of my batteries.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know if it's just the angle of that shot, but the C-LE sure looks a LOT shorter and the body looks a good bit thinner than a Fenix :D. This should make for a great general pocket EDC light. I agree that for NiMH, a spring would be better so as not to damage the batts, but I figure with the enhanced efficiency of the Cree (isn't it like 24 hours @ 20 lumens? we'll see...) I'd rather use a lithium for the longer regulated runtime and lighter weight. A spring would also make the light longer- this is looking like one of the most compact highpower AA lights on the block. Can't wait for CEJ to get his (already shipped) and start slinging them out to us :).

josean

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the sharp pics and the mini-review.

Can you tell us something about regulation?

I mean... PWM or constant current? Does it have constant (flat) brightness level, or does it dim?

Flymo

Newly Enlightened

Is there a distributor for there flashlights in the US?
help.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

For $30, It's definitely a It's a Good light, only complain is, UI is not as impressive, Since It's a Twisty, I would prefer to have Low-Med-High-Strobe-SOS

It would give Fenix L1D CE / P1D CE a Run for it's money

NetKidz

Enlightened

Hi patycake57,

Yes, it's dimple at the tube bottom. I haven't try to install a spring in it. Will try when I get some springs.

Hi Solstice,

Yes, you're right. C-LE is shorter than my Fenix L1 and LiteFlux LF1.

Hi josean,

Haven't done the run time test and not sure about the regulation. I could feel it's flickering in Medium and Low mode if move the light back and forth. Maybe a PWN with not enough frequency?

NetKidz

Enlightened
Re: JETBeam C-LE quick and mini review (Runtime added)

Finally I've done the runtime. The high mode runs about 2 hours as spec, but the medium only runs about 4h30m.

Thanks for viewing of this poor review. I shoud learn how to photo things right. :whistle:

Last edited:

javafool

Enlightened
Re: JETBeam C-LE quick and mini review (NiMH Runtime added)

That is a great review NetKidz, thank you for posting. I am really glad I got in on a group buy, and then ordered a second C-LE from Emilion. These look like great flashlights, especially for the price.

I think the flashlight, brightness, beam color and runtimes all look good. I am looking forward to getting my flashlights.

frisco

Enlightened

Nice! .............. I like it allot!!!! The Industrial Design looks nice and "Updated"
The color looks Nice!

Function looks like it will be a easy one hander !!!!

Thanks for the look!

frisco

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW great runtimes, especially considering that this looks like a bright little bugger! Will probably run even longer on an Energizer lithium :). If you could find the time, I'd love to see a runtime test of the low mode as well, but you might have to leave it running for quite a while :D. Thanks for the great work!

Chao

Enlightened

Nice work Netkidz, great runtime graph:thumbsup:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice looking light. Any new word on who is/will be selling them (besides possibly Emilion and Tadgear)?

Thanks.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the runtime graph. Do you think it would be possible for you to do a graph with a Energizer Lithium AA cell? I think the runtime would be very impressive with one of them.
I am really looking forward to receiving this light because I love the look and small size compared to other single AA lights.

grapplex

Newly Enlightened

Last edited:

jclarksnakes

Enlightened

Netkidz,
...Good review. I will have to put this light on my buy list.
Thanks,
JC