Best PT EOS Mod?

TSD

Newly Enlightened
I am about to purchase a PT EOS. I have read through many of the threads regarding possible mods for it, and am not quite sure what route to take. I do not intend on performing a battery mod, but do intend on upgrading the reflector and star. So my question is, what is the best combo and why? Currently, I am thinking about the SXOH star with Mcr-18 reflector. Suggestions please.

Also, I know where to purchase the reflectors, where would I obtain the star?

Thanks

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the luxeon star in mine. Real easy. The new one might be a bit brighter but it is certainly whiter.

The other thing I did was to put scotch tape on the optic. I found that the kind of tape I used spread the light out in one direction (if I put it on vertically, it spread the light horizontally). Not sure if that really makes sense. Anyway, it "softens" the light a bit and makes it nice to read by. Reduces throw a bit, but not too much. I'd try the tape trick before spending money on a new reflector. (this was the "frosted" looking tape, not the real clear kind)

This is a GREAT headlamp. I really love mine. my favorite light.

--Matt

aileron

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the Lux star with a SSC P4 emitter and the optic with an IMS 17mm reflector. Noticeably brighter, and a much more useful beam shape IMHO.
I epoxied a few coins together to make a heatsink, and shaved a hair off the wide end of the IMS17.

gunga

Flashaholic
I have an IMS17 in mone as well. Great drop in mod, makes for much more spill. I'm just waiting for a cree star to arrive for the next mod. Should make for much brighter and is an easy swap (once you get the lux star off the diode in the back).

There are better reflectors, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend $16 for an aluminum reflector...

ktronik

Enlightened
aileron said:
I replaced the Lux star with a SSC P4 emitter and the optic with an IMS 17mm reflector. Noticeably brighter, and a much more useful beam shape IMHO.
I epoxied a few coins together to make a heatsink, and shaved a hair off the wide end of the IMS17.

+1... I have done every mod you can do to the EOS...my fav is the above mod...

for ref: Cree EOS & Seoul EOS

The Seoul has a real 'gummy', soft type of light, which works well for close up stuff...I stippled my IMS17... so its even more soft... now I only use LOW mode, as it is a heap brighter... I also added a 'heatsink' to the eos... a good mod, for the life & brightness of the LED...

Ktronik

TSD

Newly Enlightened
What kind of runtimes do you get with the SSC P4 emitter? What pros and cons does it have compared to the SXOH? Why did you select the IMS17 over the McR-18? And lastly, WHERE would I obtain a SSC P4 emitter? Haha, lots of questions, but I am a newbie, and want to make sure I do it right from the start. Thanks

ktronik

Enlightened
TSD said:
What kind of runtimes do you get with the SSC P4 emitter? What pros and cons does it have compared to the SXOH? Why did you select the IMS17 over the McR-18? And lastly, WHERE would I obtain a SSC P4 emitter? Haha, lots of questions, but I am a newbie, and want to make sure I do it right from the start. Thanks

Runtimes will be the same but the light will be twice as bright... so you use it on low... then it lasts longer, so twice the runtime...or twice the brightness...

SX0H is about half as bright for the same power...

I have both IMS17 (stippled) & McR-18, both modded for SSC P4...they were so close, that I went for the cheaper option.. (IMS17)

AW / photofantic are selling them at the moment...

Regards

Ktronik

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Do I need to make a heatsink if I use the SSC P4? If so, what is the best way to go about doing this. Thanks

ktronik

Enlightened
TSD said:
Do I need to make a heatsink if I use the SSC P4? If so, what is the best way to go about doing this. Thanks

Its called the search button... :grin2: search my posts, you will find all the info you are looking for...

Ktronik

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I already purchased my IMS 17, and the SCC P4 is my next order. Can't wait to see the difference!

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
gunga said:
I have one...

How did you stipple your IMS17?

Try a search for "sputtering". Basically, you get a can of krylon clear spraypaint, and barely press the buttom so if finely but unevenly throws a tiny bit of clear paint of the otherwise smooth reflector. This is something you should practice on something besides a reflector because it may take several attempts to get it right. Don't do too much. I've ruined more than I've helped using this method, but other more skilled people here have really improved their beam patterns.

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help/suggestions everyone.

Okay, so I searched the forums, and was unable to find whether or not installing a heatsink conclusively improves the runtimes or increases brightness by extending the amount of time before the heat regulation diode kicks in and reduces the current. Does anyone have an update on this?

ktronik

Enlightened
TSD said:
Thanks for all the help/suggestions everyone.

Okay, so I searched the forums, and was unable to find whether or not installing a heatsink conclusively improves the runtimes or increases brightness by extending the amount of time before the heat regulation diode kicks in and reduces the current. Does anyone have an update on this?

Hey Buddy,

I have not done the tests yet to prove that it will last longer before the heat circuit kicks in...in fact it may not... the point is, you run a LED long enough on high, with NO heatsink the LED will be be damaged...& this will reduce the overall brightness of the LED in all modes...

A quick search found this from, Erasmus, he has nearly 1000 posts on CPF... I would not advise to run them higher than 100 mA without heatsinking. Otherwise they will die fast.

The high mode runs @ around 300ma...

I feel that running any LED with out a heatsink above 100ma is asking for a reduced LED life span...the more you cook it, the dimmer it will get...how long it will take to cook, I don't know...I guess if you change you LED every year, I may not matter...

best wishes

Ktronik

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
ktronik said:
...I would not advise to run them higher than 100 mA without heatsinking. Otherwise they will die fast..

what, like maybe 5000 hour life span instead of 100,000 hours? Honestly... Its not going to matter... unless you use your headlamp every day on high for hours and hours for years... If you use it like most will... I doubt anyone needs to be concerned about diminished LED output due to heat issues....

If you switch a next gen. LED... Seoul / Cree or even an S-bin... you can run the LED on medium rather than high most of the time to keep heat at a minimum...

ktronik

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
what, like maybe 5000 hour life span instead of 100,000 hours? Honestly... Its not going to matter... unless you use your headlamp every day on high for hours and hours for years... If you use it like most will... I doubt anyone needs to be concerned about diminished LED output due to heat issues....

If you switch a next gen. LED... Seoul / Cree or even an S-bin... you can run the LED on medium rather than high most of the time to keep heat at a minimum...

Nice one, thanks for the words of wisdom!! So heatsink not needed...unless you are anal like me... :)

best

Ktronik

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IMS reflector leaves a bit of room left over around the edges. I filed a bit off the reflector flange and put a Tritium vial in there. Now I can find it in the dark.

EOS_H3.jpg

:candle:

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave said:
The IMS reflector leaves a bit of room left over around the edges. I filed a bit off the reflector flange and put a Tritium vial in there. Now I can find it in the dark.

EOS_H3.jpg

:candle:
that is awesome! :)