Got throw? *Aspherical*

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all these Aspherical lenses getting played with here at CPF I got jealous :)

I modified a bezel to hold a PL1072 Aspherical lens purchased from SurplusShed.com (thanks cryohavac)

The host is driving a Seoul P4 at around 1.2 amps (Flupic Driver)

When the bezel is tightened all the way down it widens to the beam so that it is almost useable. When focused you can see the cree die perfectly and it will throw like no other LED light available.

Included are a few beamshots comparing the moded Mag to a Vector 1.5 million candlepower spotlight.

IMG_0936-vi.jpg

IMG_0938-vi.jpg

Glow Powder :)
IMG_0947-vi.jpg

Head fully screwed down

IMG_0950-vi.jpg

Focused (Underexposed)

IMG_0956-vi.jpg

Compared to a Vector 1.5 Million Spotlight

IMG_0962-vi.jpg

Underexposed

IMG_0971-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Sable

Enlightened
This is awesome, yet somehow hilarious.

Do I want one anyway? Well, there's a recurring theme with me and these damn lights...:ohgeez:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second picture looks like a black hole! COOL!

How much is one of those awesome lenses?

cryhavok

Enlightened
Looking good, Mac!

now just make a crazy bezel to protect the front of the lens and sell one to me :D
(The KIU bezel is about 2 mm too short!)

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

Just wondering if you put the Aspheric on a 3-4 LED host what would the result be. Probably no good cause of the short focus length just wondering if the 3-4 die images would be converged into a smoother brighter spot.
Or maybe custom long bezel or those deep 2" reflector bezels might give you the focal length needed.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small aspherical from there too that I put in a 3D mag. But it's no where near the power of my 2.55" AR coated one (same one that newbie has). So I think the mag will be getting something else since I have the "big one" already :D

BTW, I found that the Cree XRE works much better since the beam angle is smaller and the focus length is actually shorter too. This results in more light going in to the lens and less wasted out the side. :)

Nein166: if you put the leds right next to each other say with one in the center, and 3 around it, youd end up with 4 beams of light or 4 hotspots. The center would fire straight and the others off to the sides at an angle. But I dont know if you defocused it how it would look. But typically you just use a center light source as that works best. Now if you made a large enough head with 3 aspherical lenses, then you might be on to something. :)

As soon as I get done with some other mag mods (SSC P4's) I'm going back to my aspherical XRE spotlight. I had to redesign it a bit since there was too much resistance in my power pack. But it's insane. I'm going to run it at 2amps(!). At 1.5amps the heatsink barely gets luke warm. :D

EDIT: Hey Mac, nice touch with the glow powder! Did you fill the whole area or just a ring around the led with glow poxy? Does the optic focus the glow enough to read by? :D

Last edited:

Twellmann

Newly Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
Nein166: if you put the leds right next to each other say with one in the center, and 3 around it, youd end up with 4 beams of light or 4 hotspots. The center would fire straight and the others off to the sides at an angle. But I dont know if you defocused it how it would look. But typically you just use a center light source as that works best. Now if you made a large enough head with 3 aspherical lenses, then you might be on to something. :)

What if the XRE-E´s were themselves angled??

like this:
http://dk.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RwCXDsgVjhaf4*Epj6yr2LLOKde46z1oz9u1QU4EHf2U7rumkKL6JUmCtvu!hrrvn5QBicpWcgmsTmM2gJVsBOfi4*dVWF5Je66kd32VyWE/CreeXre3.jpg?dc=4675597790701127996

Latest posts