L2D-CE as bike light

txmatt

Enlightened
My fiance and I are going to resume biking more often, sometimes to dinner or errands after dark. I know at least one peron is using the L2D-CE as a bike light and I'd like to get any experience people with the L2D-CE in this capacity. I would consider getting 2 L2D-CE's, one for each of our bikes, to be used with a TwoFish Cyclopblock. Having a P1D-CE with similar output and beam profile, it appears the L2D-CE would be more than adequate lighting for casual night riding. I can't imagine a better $50 alternative. The 2xAA battery format would work great with high capacity AA's and a couple 4-cell chargers I have with fast-charge or float-charge capability.

Matt

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a L2D CE mounted to my recumbent bike frame and a L1D CE mounted to my helmet. The combination works much better than I thought it would and lights up the darkness well. The helmet mounted L1D CE is great since I can tap the switch and throw a very noticable strobe when needed to wake up sleepy drivers.

It is not the ultimate combination for racing on trails in the darkness but for street use, it works very well. One guy is using two L2D CEs on the bars with another on his helmet. That should be interesting.

BUZ

Enlightened
txmatt said:
My fiance and I are going to resume biking more often, sometimes to dinner or errands after dark. I know at least one peron is using the L2D-CE as a bike light and I'd like to get any experience people with the L2D-CE in this capacity. I would consider getting 2 L2D-CE's, one for each of our bikes, to be used with a TwoFish Cyclopblock. Having a P1D-CE with similar output and beam profile, it appears the L2D-CE would be more than adequate lighting for casual night riding. I can't imagine a better $50 alternative. The 2xAA battery format would work great with high capacity AA's and a couple 4-cell chargers I have with fast-charge or float-charge capability.

Matt

I have a high end HID lighting system for my mt bike (800+) lumens however I was suprised @ how well the P1D CE lit up the trail when I gave it a try (used a twofish mount). I keep the P1D and mount in my pack just in case the HID setup fails (being stuck 10 miles in the middle of nowhere in the pitch dark would be bad).

I think the L2D CE would be a fantastic choice, bright and great runtimes!

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
I use a L2D CE mounted to my recumbent bike frame and a L1D CE mounted to my helmet. The combination works much better than I thought it would and lights up the darkness well. The helmet mounted L1D CE is great since I can tap the switch and throw a very noticable strobe when needed to wake up sleepy drivers.

It is not the ultimate combination for racing on trails in the darkness but for street use, it works very well. One guy is using two L2D CEs on the bars with another on his helmet. That should be interesting.

Could you give some details as to how you attach the L1D to your helmet? I intend to do the same thing and could use some pointers :barf:

luminari

Newly Enlightened
BUZ said:
I have a high end HID lighting system for my mt bike (800+) lumens however I was suprised @ how well the P1D CE lit up the trail when I gave it a try (used a twofish mount). I keep the P1D and mount in my pack just in case the HID setup fails (being stuck 10 miles in the middle of nowhere in the pitch dark would be bad).

Now that's a good idea! I should totally keep the P1D-CE and some velcro wrap in my pack in case something blows. Plus it would be handy for fixing a flat.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
In most cases you can use the bikeblock from twofish for attaching to a helmet.. Most helmets will allow this.. I have also used the Zefal Doodad plus, which comes with rubber mount and velcro strap. You can order direct from Boomer.. It is very secure.. For handlebars the cycleblock or flashlight mount works great..

http://www.boomerdirect.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/1719053.htm
http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique...e&txtSearch=doodad&catSearch=&marqueSearch=33

Picture Using zefal doodad plus + L1D-CE

http://www.geocities.com/mar10stuff/fenixlidhelmetlight.jpg

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happens when I dump? Will my helmet light snag on the ground and snap my neck? I thought the helmet top was supposed to be smooth, so it can slide...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ty_Bower said:
What happens when I dump? Will my helmet light snag on the ground and snap my neck? I thought the helmet top was supposed to be smooth, so it can slide...
One reason why I don't like the twofish solution for helmet mounting lights - it sticks up too much over the helmet's profile.

I currently have an Eos on my helmet, and I've attached it as close to the front end as possible. I know from experience that a strong force will break the Eos' attachment tabs, so I'm sure the light would break off in a fall.

socal, those Doodads look more compact than the twofish locks. :thinking: Would you mind re-posting that pic you linked to in bikeforums? I'd need to register to see it. Thanks.

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
There are two reasons for a bike light:
  1. Being seen -- if you are riding in lit areas, then a (possibly) flashing headlight would be sufficient and a flashlight like a Fenix would work well.
  2. Seeing -- if you are riding in really dark places, then my experience would say that this is not enough light.
I use a small LED light on my helmet and a Huntlight FT-01 Cree on my handlebars. I have fabricated a bracket to mount the light on my stem using an L-bracket and some marine "broom clips". It is not enough light. For dark trails you will need:
  1. A flood light to see right in front of you.
  2. A spot light to see where you are going further down the trail.
My experience would say that a bright flashlight is OK but I need to slow down in dark areas and really pay attention. I have decided to suck it up and order bright bike light.

Two flashlights might work in dark areas if one was floody and the other had a good spot, but beyond some point the hassle factor sets in.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I personally use the L1D in Strobe mode in addition to an HID handlebar light.. The strobe flashes can easily be seen for over 1 mile.. The strobe is bright and is distinctive.. This is what you want.. Prior to this I used an PT eos in flashing mode.. This worked well and if anyone is interested, I have one for sale with the bike kit, Helmet and Bar mount..

The Cree-LED is just so much brighter and more impactful on the road.. With the helmet light you can direct the strobe so you can get someones attention.. Even with a HID light it is still amazing how many people just do not see you on the road..

It my own tests.. I have gotten 3.5 hours in strobe mode until dimming.. This is using 2650 duracell aa nimh batteries..

txmatt

Enlightened
I think a lot would depend on how/where you're riding. Night trail riding I can see the need for lots of light. Or riding a road bike at 25mph at night you'd need pretty good throw. For what we'll do, riding city bikes at a leisurely pace at night on neighborhood streets, I think a Cree powered Fenix will be sufficient.

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
txmatt said:
I think a lot would depend on how/where you're riding. Night trail riding I can see the need for lots of light. Or riding a road bike at 25mph at night you'd need pretty good throw. For what we'll do, riding city bikes at a leisurely pace at night on neighborhood streets, I think a Cree powered Fenix will be sufficient.

If you are on lit streets, I agree that should be fine. If you want, I could take a few pictures of my bracket (rock solid, flashlight is removable, $6 parts cost, ugly) and post.

greenLED

Flashaholic
socalrunner said:
Prior to this I used an PT eos in flashing mode.
That's what I set the Eos on my helmet to. I have a brighter light on the handlebar.

dd - I'd be interested in seeing pics of your setup. Thanks.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I ride my bike quite a bit at night and I believe the flashing helmet light with a standard handlebar light is the safest way to go.. The helmet light being up high grabs peoples attention which is what you want.. As far as taillights go, I really like the Planet Bike Superflash.. It is very bright and will mount on your seatpost or hook to your seatpack which is what I do..

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html

L

LITEmania

txmatt said:

Matt

What mount did you use for L2D CE ?

warren,