Cree XR-E fixed lighting (7 Leds) seen.

reptiles

Enlightened
Greetings,

I saw this very interesting fixed lighting unit (replaces a light bulb) that has 7 Cree XR-E LEDs and a build in finned heat sink.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200080088608

Its just over $100 and I was hoping someone here might be familiar with it and offer some advice before I bought one.

I was thinking of aiming it straight up onto a white ceiling.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mark

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the figures are true, then it is a very impressive product.

reptiles

Enlightened
I'm fairly interested in some sort of LED fixed lighting. Although I'm not sure if a LED "replacement bulb" like the Cree x 7 in this thread is exactly what I want. For example, I can't use it to replace the bulbs in existing lamps, as all the light goes only in one direction.

Perhaps I should hold off, as I suspect numerous options will be appearing soon.

Regards,

Mark

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one each of the LED bulbs that DX is selling> I just got a shipping notice yesterday- so I'll have a review in about 10 days.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthouse one said:
I ordered one each of the LED bulbs that DX is selling> I just got a shipping notice yesterday- so I'll have a review in about 10 days.
Interestingly, not DX has added one reflector bulb that uses a high-power LED here and another with a bulb shaped frosted coating here. I wonder if it would be a potential host for a Cree or Seoul. I probably wouldn't recommend it though as I believe that they are alraedy looking into getting some Cree bulbs in the near future. They also have a goofy looking RGB LED with a remote control here. Looks like they just added all of those recently, did you order any of those I linked to, or just the 5mm array bulbs?

Last edited:

shannow

Enlightened

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good find. The widest beam is 60 degrees which is a bit narrow for a house bulb IMO but I guess it doesn't matter if you're reflecting it off of the ceiling. I'd like to know if it really is 100W incan equivalent. I expect that's a slight exaggeration.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know if it really is 100W incan equivalent. I expect that's a slight exaggeration.

A standard 100 watt incan produces 1,700 lumens. Divide this by seven LEDs and you get 240 lumens per LED. If a 3 watt Cree can do this in service, then the description can be accurate.

The eBay listing also states 560 lumens for the warm white and 1,100 for the cool white. 560 Lumens is about the output of a 45 watt incandescent bulb. 1,100 equals a 70 watt incan.

The listing also says the unit will replace a 120 watt halogen bulb, which would be typically be somewhere around 2,000 lumens. This means it will replace it mechanically, but not in light output.

Latest posts