Why? Attach light to keys?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wanted to approach the subject of attaching Light to keychains for a while. Here Goes. :ohgeez:

What is the Fascination with attaching Nice Lights to Keys?

Why? Keys are the most important thing on your Key Chain. Keys are generally made from Steel or hard metal with edges.
So Why? Put a really nice Flashlight / Torch along side all that metal that will to any Light Ruin its new looks.

I may use my Lights in a different manner to the majority :shrug:
I keep my light in my pocket all the time.Mostly away from Keys Coins etc, No worries if occasional contact with other foreign items. But not permanently clattering with other hard metal...
My other strong valid point I do not always have my keys with me. So Why? Why? Put your brand spanking new light with your Keys?
I think there should be a lanyard to attach to, its often use full to attach somewhere.
If you find it necessary then attach one of those Photon style plastic $1 5mm Lights
Finally the damage you can do to what you put your keys into. Almost like swinging a small hammer on the side of your car door.
Ideally this my opinion will make some think & balance up there loads a little.
:thanks: :thumbsup:

Enlightened
I keep a free Photon on my keyring as back up. IMO lights are tools no matter how much they cost. Tools are bound to get dinged up. Although I try to preserve my light's looks, blemishes are bound to happen especially if you actually use them.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree lights are tools, I am just trying to say your would not chuck your spanner in the mincer just so you new where it was.

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
I don't like the idea of putting main EDC lights on keychains simply because I don't like holding on to keys when I want to hold onto a flashlight. I see the idea of putting a tiny light like a photon on a keychain, but for anything else I'd rather put it in my watch pocket.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keys go wherever you go--without keys, you're not driving anywhere. Putting a light on my keyring is my way of making sure I don't forget to take it along...as I forgot my cell phone this morning.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Brother Paul said, you really increase the odds of having at least one light with you if its on your keys. I keep an Arc on mine but solely as a backup to a Fenix on my belt. Its my "stuck in a dark elevator and forgot my Fenix" light.

Oct-3.jpg

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come On guys I thought you where Flashaholics... Where ever you go your EDC goes..

TORCH_BOY Attaching a small light to the keys makes it easier to find the keyhole in the dark.
The only good Reason I can see so far. Hence the $1 Photon.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have a Fenix EO attached to my keychain for the same reason that Paul in Maryland said. I always have my keys so this insures that I always have at least a little light.

I agree with you however on attaching a really nice high quality (expensive) light to a keychain. I like to keep my really nice lights in as good condition as possible and chringe at the idea of them being banged around on a keychain. :ohgeez:
I think a good photon or a cheap keychain light are essential but so is carrying a nice bright high quality light in your pocket as well.

ibcj

Enlightened
I have to agree with you Rob. I don't want my nice lights getting banged around with my keys either. As for the keys go everywhere you go theory - I always reach for my edc, even when I'm not carrying my keys.

I have some nice tools, but I don't put any of them in a position to take more abuse than necessary to accomplish the intended task.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SS Peak on my keys. However I rarely carry my keys in my pocket. I carry them in my backpack (man-purse) along with just about everything else I'd need to survive for a couple days in most any conditions. I carry my EDC in a jacket or cargo pant pocket usually.

Patriot

Flashaholic
For some reason I never got into attaching a light to my key ring. I like my two key rings to be as small and light as possible because sometimes they get carried in my pockets. Having a weighty key ring attached to your car ignition key wears out your ignition tumbler over time until eventually it wont turn anymore leaving you stranded somewhere. They usually have to be drilled out at that point. I do that for people on a weekly basis.

Additionally, the thought of attaching any nice light, especially an Orb, to a bunch of jagged steel blades, makes me cringe. I think that a plastic Photon or something even smaller would make the most sense on a key ring. :)

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
No keyring for me. I used to be a minimalist, carrying solely my car's ignition key on a ring attached to a remote fob.

Now that I drive a Camry Hybrid...it uses no key at all. I'm still trying to figure out the best way for ME to carry my newly purchased L0D-CE -- it's currently on a lanyard around my neck with a quick detach.

Other residents of my front pockets are:
Left front - wallet and key fob for car
Right front - Blackjack Smartphone

Cingular is sending out the extended battery for free to Blackjack owners since the standard battery has notoriously bad longevity on the 3G network. Once I find a good holster for the phone, the L0D will take up residence in that right front pocket.

** I am one of that percentage of the population that will lose sleep at night if my 'tools' get nicked and scratched; so I don't have the mental strength to do as some of you do with keychain carry. (It's a hell of a life I have!)

x2 with OP

firefly99

Enlightened
I always had my chain of keys, any where I goes, even if I left my other EDC stuff at home. Therefore a photon is attached to my key chain to ensure I had a tiny light no matter what. Anyting bigger would make the key chain too bulky to carry.

I prefer to carry my EDC light in my jean / pant front pocket where there are usually some coins.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Yep, Photon attached to the keys because it's so tiny and practically weightless. My EDC Gerber IU rides all by itself in my pocket. I don't want anything hanging on to it if I need to use it. Sometimes I'll just attach it to a carabiner and hang it from a belt loop.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with the Orb dude here. I dont get it either, if it's a light bigger than a fauxton. Especially if it's a "almost jewelry" nice type of light. I prefer to keep my keys as slim as possible even though I usually wear jeans. And I dont mind scratches on my "tools" either. If youre used to your EDC, you wont forget it, that's the case with me at least.

RobbW

Newly Enlightened
I'm somewhat of a minimalist, I keep only two keys and two tools on my keychain: a house key, a car key (but I leave the remote in the car itself--remotes are too big for pockets IMHO), an Atwood Mini Prybaby XL, and a Miller Modded 1.5W/50ma Arc-AAA. I find too many uses for the Prybaby and Arc not to always have them with me. The Arc has such a hard anodization it doesn't really get scratched or beat up--just a bit "worn in".