• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Update - April 2007

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
We have been working on several projects lately that might be of interest to the CPF members. We are now offering the Seoul P4, U bin LEDs in place of the Luxion 3 watt LED. While supplies last, we will be discounting the Luxeon lights. Once the stock of Luxeons is sold out, we will be exclusively using the P4 emitters. The battery life with the P4 will be the same as Lux 3 except with more light output and greater candlepower intensity. In the Baltic 2 x AAA Super Ultra, the candlepower went from about 450 to 700. The Rainier went from an average of 1800 foot candles to almost 3000. An across the board increase of candlepower output from 35% to 50%, with the same battery current draw as the 3 watt LED is what you may expect. The output in Lumens, or total light output, can be as much as double or more. Lumen output and candlepower output are independent of each other.

Secondly, we have made a limited run of pure Titanium flashlights in the Baltic, Pacific, Caribbean, and Rainier/Mediterranean styles based on the stainless steel design. These will be available with your choice of power output and with both a removable key ring adapter and the stainless steel momentary switch.

Thirdly, we have just finished the electronics design and testing of the first of the Volcano series. Several prototypes have been machined and we are in the process of machining a small group of 35 pre-production units for evaluation. The design of this flashlight has been targeted at the Law Enforcement Industry. It is a nine watt output three LED flashlight with several unique features.

The battery compartment can without modification, accept nine different battery combinations: 2 x RCR-123, 2 x AA, 1 x 17650 or 1 x 18650 Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries; 2 x CR-123A, 2 x AA 1.6 volt or 2 x AA 3.6 volt Lithium primary batteries; 2 x AA Alkaline primary or 2 x AA 1.2 volt NiMH rechargeable batteries.

The electronics monitor the battery input voltage and the current through the primary inductor. This is done so as not to over-stress low voltage batteries and cause premature battery failure. The output voltage to the LEDs is thusly reduced as is the maximum light output. This is a constant current, voltage boost type circuit. Any battery combination between 2.0 volts and a maximum of 8.5 volts may be used. Input voltages above 7.5 volts will not increase the light output, the system will limit the maximum current through the primary inductor and shut down. A 2.0 volt supply will provide a maximum of 1.5 watts of power to the LEDs.

A potentiometer control has been provided with a 5/8 ths inch diameter knob on the head that can be adjusted with the thumb to change the light output. The control is o-ring sealed to prevent moisture inclusion. The minimum output is one-half watt. With a battery supply of 7.2 volts, any output level between one-half and nine watts to full off is instantly available. No programming needed. (The full off position does not shut off the electronics and battery current will still be used.) At the minimum output of one-half watt, the output looks the same as the lux 3 watt LED Caribbean at 1.5 watts of power. The battery drain at 2.0 volts was .36 Amps for a .48 watt LED drive at minimum output power. Minimum drive with a 7.2 volt supply was .16 Amps for a .57 watt output. Maximum output is over 500 Lumens. The beam projects a good hot spot and a lot of side spill. At 30 feet the hot spot is about 8 feet in diameter with a gradual spill transition to about 25 feet in diameter.

The head is 1-5/8 inch diameter x 2 inches long with heat reducing fins. The lens cap, reflector housing and the 3 LED heat sink module are replaceable if damaged or to upgrade to maintain optimum performance. An Allen wrench and a soldering iron are required to change out the 3 LED module. A wrist strap attachment point is included on the opposite side from the control knob; this allows the flashlight to dangle from the wrist, and when the hand is flipped up to shoulder height, the flashlight falls into the palm with the thumb in position to activate the tail switch.

The battery compartment is 15/16 ths inch in diameter by 5-1/2 inches long with a momentary/on-off tactical water proof tail switch. An 11/16 ths inch diameter area is machined near the tail switch to provide for the split finger type of combat hold when using a handgun. The tail switch can then be activated with the heel of the palm. With a four finger hold, the tail switch is controlled with the thumb. Overall length is 7-1/2 inches.

This is intended to be a primary law enforcement duty flashlight with maximum light output. We have made it as small and light weight as possible for use on a duty belt. The electronics are potted in special heat transfer epoxy for the needed water and shock resistance that can be encountered in field operations. Using Lithium-Ion batteries it is very bright and economical to use. It is a FIRST RESPONDER flashlight.

If you would like to be considered as a beta tester, I will be selecting 5, please PM me your name, occupation (I will ONLY be considering Law Enforcement personnel or active military), area of service, and a short description of what you do.

Thank you and have a great day!

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Sounds great.. I like the fact that that AA is one of the battery options. Any idea of what the final price might be?

ebfx

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Thanks for the update Robyn,

When will the new versions be available? I'm especially interested in the limited edition Titanium models. I looked on the website and didn't see anything mentioned....

ebfx said:
Wow! Thanks for the update Robyn,

When will the new versions be available? I'm especially interested in the limited edition Titanium models. I looked on the website and didn't see anything mentioned....

They're already available. I'll go and bump that thread. At this point, they're part of a limited edition set. Not sure whether Robyn will be making these available on an individual basis.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
500 Lumens.... 9 Battery Types and No Programming with Variable Output... sounds great....

any picture teasers :nana:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped by Peak today and had a chance to play with the new Volcano series light. The light completely blew away a FFIII I had with me at the time. Shouldn't be a surprise that the light blew away a single LED FFIII but I was very impressed with the over all output. Just a eyeball guess but I would say the light is easily producing 130 lumens or more. I base the eyeball guess by comparing the output of the FFIII which was tested at LSI at 71 lumens . This is a rough guess and understand this is based on actual testing data and not pie in the sky figures that some manufactures throw out when rating lumens output of there lights. (Want mention names)

I'm not sure what I can disclose but the light has a very unique interface for adjusting the brightness level as mentioned in the first post. Very user friendly and easy to use. With very little effort you can easily adjust the light level to exactly what you need without having to go through a bunch of clicks to achieve the brightness level you want. The flexibility of battery options is very appealing as well and of course caution is always needed when multiple battery options are available. Very very nice!!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update Robyn, those new lights sound GREAT! Wow - so many wish-list engineering acheivements in one post! [although I realize they might not all be in one light]

A Peak with a waterproof clickie;
variable output without multiple clicks;
brightest and more efficient LEDs;
multiple battery options;
voltage sensing electronics to protect the batteries; and
easy to upgrade heads.

It almost sounds too good to be true.

Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Congratulations!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I also think Robocop should be a beta tester....hehe

This new light does sound interesting and the battery combanations allows a huge amount of flexability in any situation. I was wondering when Peak would enter the arena and it looks like they plan to do so in a big way...Bravo Peak

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd vote for Robocop too. Did you PM Robyn?

Greg

Robocop said:
I also think Robocop should be a beta tester....hehe

This new light does sound interesting and the battery combanations allows a huge amount of flexability in any situation. I was wondering when Peak would enter the arena and it looks like they plan to do so in a big way...Bravo Peak

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Yes I did PM Robyn and was tipped off to this by Cy....thanks again Cy.

Years back I tested a pretty slick 3 watt from Peak using a 2-AA power supply. it had a nice lanyard placement on an octagon shaped bezel and rear clicky design (Kroll switch) The light did well on duty however got a little scratched up.......That was way back during several changes at Peak and I never did see the exact light make it to production. All in all I enjoyed testing the light and was flattered that MJ considered me as that was during her time there.

I work night shift going on 10 years now and honestly my light is used more than any other tool. I very much like my incandescent as a main light however if the above lumen rating is correct this may be a decent luxeon to consider for a main duty light. If nothing else we can almost already be sure that the light will be rugged as Peak has already gained that reputation among us as they do make some very tough lights......I also very much like the different battery combos and wonder why others have not really exploited this idea very much.....interesting design and we will see how it goes.....thanks again for the recommendations

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few questions about the Volcano, drive levels and batteries.

Two RCR123 Lithium-ions will drive it to 9 watts so what drive level will two CR123A lithium primary push? The 18650 lithium-ion 3.7V pack is pretty stout so will it drive to 9 watts also?

I really like the idea of the 2xAA NiMH cell option and big praise to Peak for including that ability in the new Volcano. :)

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
Great. I'd also like to see our favorite RCMP officer (PeteBroccolo) on the beta tester list.

Greg
Sorry, I was off the computer for a few days, so when I looked in today I got g_i_c's pm on this (thanky you VERY much!). I just sent a PM to RobynS with my CV, so here's hoping!