• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Update - April 2007

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Peak LED website. There are so many lights available. All are on seperate webpages. Is there anything that compares one to the other? Trying to compare 123 models to each other and A models to each other has me confused.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NotRegulated said:
I was looking at the Peak LED website. There are so many lights available. All are on seperate webpages. Is there anything that compares one to the other? Trying to compare 123 models to each other and A models to each other has me confused.

Hi,

Although I do not have a whole set of Peak's Lights, but you can compare some of my peak collection at my review's site www.cpfreviews.com
Just select lights that you wish to compare and click Compare button. results will show a comparison in single page.(Note: Site is still under enhancements,basic feature comparison is available but runtime charts and comparison are coming soon)

I have requested Peak for new Gen Lights for review and comparison, response is awaited.

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
A few questions about the Volcano, drive levels and batteries.

Two RCR123 Lithium-ions will drive it to 9 watts so what drive level will two CR123A lithium primary push? The 18650 lithium-ion 3.7V pack is pretty stout so will it drive to 9 watts also?

I really like the idea of the 2xAA NiMH cell option and big praise to Peak for including that ability in the new Volcano. :)

BentHeadTX,

Hope this helps -

The electronics in the 9 watt 3 LED Law Enforcement Special First Responder flashlight monitors the input voltage and not the battery capacity for current output. By monitoring the supply voltage and the current draw through the primary inductor, the system automatically adjusts maximum output. The primary inductor current limit is set at 1.5 amps. At 1.7 Amps of current draw the electronics shut down the system. All electronic components are rated for a minimum of 2 Amps.

With the output control set to maximum and with a 2.0 volt input the current draw is 1.12 Amps and a light output of 1.57 watts; 2.8 volts 1.13 Amps at 2.24 watts; 3.4 volts 1.18 Amps at 2.66 watts; 4.3 volts 1.26 Amps at 4.10 watts; 6.0 volts 1.59 Amps at 7.42 watts; 7.2 volts 1.43 Amps at 8.49 watts; 8.2 volts 1.34 Amps at 8.92 watts; 9.0 volts 1.27 amps at 8.91 watts.

At the lowest control setting with a 2.0 volt input and a current draw of .36 Amps, the light output is .48 watt; and with a 7.2 volt supply at .16 Amps draw the output is .57 watt. When compared side by side at 30 feet with a 1.5 watt lux 3 Caribbean the visual output looked identical. In another comparison at maximum output from the First Responder, our 3.7 watt lux 3 Rainier looked dim with dull washed out color reproduction.

Approximate run times may a calculated by dividing current draw by battery capacity. Overall times will probably be less than calculated.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Interesting light to say the least Robyn and I am looking forward to some photos on your site possibly. Are you receiving our PMs or should we try to reach you by your e-mail on Peaks site?......I say that as I have had a little trouble lately with my PMs not working all the time for me.

If you did not receive an application by PM could we use your personal mail address listed on your website with Peak.?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
RobynS said:
With the output control set to maximum and with a 2.0 volt input the current draw is 1.12 Amps and a light output of 1.57 watts; 2.8 volts 1.13 Amps at 2.24 watts; 3.4 volts 1.18 Amps at 2.66 watts; 4.3 volts 1.26 Amps at 4.10 watts; 6.0 volts 1.59 Amps at 7.42 watts; 7.2 volts 1.43 Amps at 8.49 watts; 8.2 volts 1.34 Amps at 8.92 watts; 9.0 volts 1.27 amps at 8.91 watts.

Thanks for the statistics, Robyn--it really helps with battery selection. The 7.2V level (two lithium ion RCR123 cells) pull almost 2C from the cells so if choosing that configuration it is best to get the latest cells to handle that level. The primary lithium cells give a level very close to li-ions so it makes a good option. When all else fails or smoking eyeballs is not on the agenda, two NiMH AA cells give a very efficient output.

Any pics? :)

cy

Flashaholic
just visited the new website and it's still fiddley to use. very difficult to do something simple as look at all your lights.

still not very user friendly. sites that depend upon flash to navigate always have trouble when something breaks and/or doesn't work with that flavor browser.

xiorcal

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Does the light have multiple battery tubes (As previous poster seemed to think), or is it one battery tube, with inserts and spacers to hold various battery sizes? Don't suppose there's any chance you're going to come up with a battery tube for AW's C Li-ion? More power, more runtime *wink wink*.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
Where are the accessory battery tubes located on the new wesite? I can see how to get to the Pacific, but I don't see the accessory battery tubes located anywhere.

I think ordering anything through the website is taking the hard way. All the Peak people I have dealt with are so nice on the phone, as things stand now using the phone is the best and easiest way to order.

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
LED_Thrift said:
I think ordering anything through the website is taking the hard way. All the Peak people I have dealt with are so nice on the phone, as things stand now using the phone is the best and easiest way to order.
P-H-O-N-E ? I think I remember my grandfather telling me about those things... used in the Pony Express days weren't they? How quaint. Come on, my kids daycare has a better web site than Peak, join the 21st Century already! Hell, start a MySpace page, it would be more efficient than what Peak's using. Phone orders only? Yikes!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift said:

Thanks for the tip. A Peak staffer just answered my questions and took my order when I called Peak's toll-free telephone number 1-877-881-7325.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks, however I prefer ordering online, via a website. If Peak's not inclined to make it a good user experience to order online, that's fine by me. I guess I just saved myself some money.

cy

Flashaholic
Robyn, please consider creating a site map in plain HTML. no scripts, no flash. just a plain web page. then place a site map link on home page.

it's a major No No to use flash as your navigation. too easy to have browser conflict. then user trying to order a light is stuck with no way to find anything.

arrange a user test of site by folks not familiar with Peak. folks connected to Peak will not give valid results. too close...

Google has one of the best UI of anyone. amazing how more folks have not copied.

HammerSandwich

Newly Enlightened
I've been biting my tongue about the website, but it appears that we can have a productive discussion here. So...

Going along with cy's advice, you might want to look at AskTog.

My monitor's only 1280x1024, but the site's menu is too tiny for me. Stray north a touch while going for "McKinley", and I end up with the downloads. Yikes!

Using Firefox, I cannot successfully middle-click the products in the menu bar, thanks to the use of Flash. And that's with a properly working Flash installation.

I'd have to sum up the site's design as lots of flash, but not much substance. Denser information, please! This is pretty ironic, considering Peak's reputation here for highly functional products.

FWIW, I've yet to buy a Peak. While I've been tempted numerous times, I've found learning the product line simply too frustrating. AFAIK, I'd have to read every product page to figure out which lights use which battery, how big the lights are, etc. This is not something to do over the phone; the site could easily give me what I want in a bunch of pictures.

I'll have a Peak at some point, I'm sure. The Volcano sounds fantastic. But it's Peak's loss if I have to learn all about it at CPF.

HS

minkling

Newly Enlightened
Active Military

I would like to volunteer my Little Brother as a tester. He is currently serving in Iraq until February of next year. I would send the light to him and keep in touch via email with his opinions. He is with the AirCav as a Combat Medic.

Thanks

scottv

Newly Enlightened
Are there any non-flash sites that I could see the flashlights on?
Flash is an incredibly annoying advertising software - without it installed I can stand to surf the web.

But no worries, not having Flash is way more important than flashlights I haven't seen.