Definitive A2 Protected R123 Thread

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
I know I am not alone in asking the question:

"Is there a protected R123 that will fit in the A2 Aviator." :dedhorse:

I have spent the last week searching the forum, anywhere from 1-3 hours at a time and from what I've seen, the info isn't current (2004/2005!) and above all, isn't definitive.

Nearly all brands of UNprotected R123s fit in the A2 but there isn't much information regarding protected cells, which is understandable because any that do fit would just fry the LEDs.

That was then, this is now. With Bawko's revolutionary Aviatrix ring, the 8.4v of protected cells does not pose a threat. But since two rings will be available, one for primaries, one for rechargeables, I'd like to know if I should abandon my search for a compatible Protected R123 and just buy a primary ring.

I've PMed a couple of other members about rechargeables in general and got very helpful responses, but now I'm asking the public for the public's sake because, again, I know I'm not alone.

I already tried Battery Station protected R123s with no luck and don't want to buy any more until I know they'll fit for sure.

I was going to sand the inside of the A2 like I did with the L4 but now I won't because I fear damaging the circuitry in the end.

I never got to see the Wiki Compatibility chart before it disappeared but it would be nice if we could get a new one going for ALL lights. But right now I just care about the A2:)

mdocod

Flashaholic
If I were in your shoes, a minor step away from being able to have a rechargable A2, I'd bore it/sand it to make it happen. But that's just me.

Illum

Flashaholic
I heard the previous gen of A2s have enough room to bore for rcr123as but are not recommended, the current gen [correct me if im wrong] have no room for boring.

theres been alot of users wanting to "rechargeable-ize" the A2's circuitry but using anything else other than the specified "cr123A" will burn the circuit and void the warranty....Im surprised you have not found much info on it, there should be several threads on this in the past

if I find any, i'll edit them in:ohgeez:

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
Im surprised you have not found much info on it, there should be several threads on this in the past

But I have found a lot of information. I'm serious, I literally spent hours a day every day this week, and some of last week, using the forum and CPF Google
search and nothing satisfies me. What I find is either outdated (2004/2005) or doesn't answer this specific question.

I've read everything about the A2 that I could find, sometimes more than once. Those written by Carrot and Bawko, GreenLED's color shootout, Leuko's tune up thread and everything in between. I must have read JS's A2 tribute four times!

I had to create a sub folder in my bookmarks just for the A2 info I found but I know there is more out there. The forum search can't do "A2" by itself; it's
too short. So I have been limited to "SFA2" and "Aviator". And the Google results are just downright irrelevant most of the time.

Two of the more significant battery threads are:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78947
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87768

There is a lot of information about unprotected cells but nothing specific about protected cells that fit, which totally makes sense: At the time a protected cell either didn't have enough power to light the incan or, if it did fit, would blow the LEDs.

Still, anything you can add would be greatly appreciated.

mdocod - I originally intended to sand the inside but I've changed my mind. I'd hate to spend all that time sanding and end up damaging the circuitry when rinsing out the aluminum residue.

Don't get me wrong, I think the A2 is great and don't regret the purchase. I will use primaries if that's how it's got to be but would prefer rechargeables because they save money and, most importantly, save the environment.

Though I'm afraid to use unprotected cells I did consider trying the Powerizer Industrials but today I saw a post that mentioned them leaking.

gregflier

Newly Enlightened
I'm a relative newbie and I'm in the same boat. I have been reading everything I can find on this issue for a week or two since I found Atomic Chickens Aviatrix ring and bought my first A2. I had been holding out on buying an A2 becouse I felt I needed a very low setting and really like rechargeables. I am planning to run unprotected MP cells and very carefully monitor runtime and voltage and retire any cells that I abuse if I can't find protected cells that fit.

Some of AW's new protected 123's MAY fit based the whole thread here. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1731539#post1731539

There is a disclaimer on the first post that says they do NOT fit in an A2, but based on the thread underneath, it seems like some of them may barely fit. I am planning on ordering some and hoping a few fit. If not, I can run them in my 6P with a P90 bulb, my 9P with a spacer, and my Novat@c 120 if it arrives before the cells expire.

If you are interested in unprotected cells, Lighthound is having a sale on MP 123's. $2.00 a cell. Not all of the cells they are shipping are still alive, and many are too fat to fit an A2 (Identical packaging). Lighthound knows that the small cells that fit don't have a button on the back and seems to be willing to hand pick the small cells if requested and was very good at replacing DOA cells no questions asked.

Greg

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up Greg. When I saw the disclaimer about AW's protected 123s I didn't bother reading any further. I'll check it out tomorrow. I have to get 17670s anyway, so I might just go with the MP. But before I buy any more cells that "might" fit I have to get rid of the ones I received from batterystation today. (They are on B/S/T now.)

I was also going to wait a while to get an A2, possibly a year like I did with the L4. However, the creation of the Aviatrix coinciding with Tactical Supply's closeout sale made it clear waiting wasn't the best option. Will Bawko be making the Aviatrix in a year? Will I find another A2 for this price? I answered those questions by clicking "Pay Now" :)

Such buying savvy doesn't come without consequence. I had to promise my wife that I would not buy another flashlight until January 2008. So, yeah, another reason why I want to get the most out of the A2.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

AyeMayanor said:
Will Bawko be making the Aviatrix in a year? Will I find another A2 for this price? I answered those questions by clicking "Pay Now" :)

Next week, my friend. First production run for sale will be next week. Be patient just a little longer.... :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

Next week, my friend. First production run for sale will be next week. Be patient just a little longer.... :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

I know:) What I meant was, "what if I don't buy one now, will they still be available a year from now."

Looking forward to it Bawko! Thanks for being such an awesome chicken!

gregflier

Newly Enlightened
mdocod said:
what about these?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/125353

the voltage is a little lower, little safer- maybe they are skinny enough?

Post #50 of the thread says they don't fit in an A2 :(

I PM'd AW about his regular protected cells fitting in an A2 and he said they generally don't fit. :( So my earlier post was overly optomistic.

I'm fresh out of ideas for protected cells on an A2.

Greg

LA OZ

Enlightened
I ve bought protected cells from AW and it won't fit in the new body A2. I recently purchase some Ultrafire 16340 880mah from Dealextreme and it fits the A2. I must warn you that the 880mah claim is extremely overstated. It is more like 500mah. I have tried these cells (4V after charged) and it works with A2. I am a bit concern to run the light for too long though. I am in search of a 3V rechargeable cells at the moment and not sure which one to get.

carrot

Flashaholic
AyeMayanor said:
I've read everything about the A2 that I could find, sometimes more than once. Those written by Carrot and Bawko, GreenLED's color shootout, Leuko's tune up thread and everything in between. I must have read JS's A2 tribute four times!

I had to create a sub folder in my bookmarks just for the A2 info I found but I know there is more out there. The forum search can't do "A2" by itself; it's
too short. So I have been limited to "SFA2" and "Aviator". And the Google results are just downright irrelevant most of the time.

You should try searching for A2* because it adds one character to the string and makes it long enough to be acceptable to the forum search engine. Also, have you seen KevinL's A2 convert thread? It's huge!

DM51

Flashaholic
I've only just found this thread. I just tried one of AW's RCR123s and it does just fit (obviously I didn't switch on and blow the circuit etc). The fit seems tighter in the new body (round sides) than the old 4-flat-sided body. I didn't push the cell in very far, as I didn't want it to get stuck inside and have to use a corkscrew or something to get it out.

AC says he can produce 8.4v-compatible LED Aviatrix rings, so if there are RCRs that fit we have a partial solution there, but what about the incan bulb? Is there a solution for that?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

DM51 said:
AC says he can produce 8.4v-compatible LED Aviatrix rings, so if there are RCRs that fit we have a partial solution there, but what about the incan bulb? Is there a solution for that?

First off, all Aviatrix mods (unless otherwise requested) are 100% compatible with rechargeable Li-ion batteries. I have extensively tested with Li-ion batteries at this point, and am 100% confident in the design and it's ability to withstand the higher voltages. In answer to the question regarding the incandescent bulb, "js" has made several posts to the effect that the A2 incandescent bulb and regulation circuitry are already safe for use with rechargeables - the PWM regulator just gives shorter "pulses" to the bulb when the voltage is higher. My own experiences with rechargeables and the A2 agree 100% with his assertions.

As for my own experience with rechargeable Li-ion batteries for the A2, I recently purchased 7 of AW's "new style" high-current protected R123 cells, as detailed in this post of his:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1731539

When I got my batch, these were the results:

One battery fit perfectly, "vacuum" fit where it slid down the barrel with almost ZERO clearance... slid down slowly because of the air escaping past the sides of the cell as the battery displaced it slowly.

Two batteries would fit if I peeled the outer silver printed label off, leaving the black plastic protective sheath on the battery.

The other 4 needed to have the entire outer casing stripped off, both the silver printed label as well as the black plastic protective sheath. Because of the positive charged "strip" of metal going up the side of the battery, I couldn't use them like this - so I had to place a double-layer of scotch tape over the strip of metal to protect from shorting to the side of the flashlight tube, and one layer of scotch tape over the remaining metal surface of the battery to keep it from shorting to the A2 tube and turning on the light inadvertently. After doing this, the 4 fit perfectly and have worked just fine since then.

So, AW protected Li-Ion batteries (the new version linked above) will seemingly all work in an A2, with a little effort - but buy a few extras because of the fit issues if you want to find some that are small enough to leave the original black protective plastic on the cells.

One other thing - my older 4-sided A2 seems to have a slightly smaller diameter barrel than the newer ones... I could only get 2 of the batteries (post-op taped) to fit in it.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a few measurements I made while CPF was down:

My A2 (S/N A166xx, first run 4-sided) has an ID of 0.653"
Battery Station unprotected (blue) are 0.665"
LightHound (purply blue) are 0.655"
AW's older blue protected are 0.654"
Powerizer unprotected are 0.650"
Surefire 123 are 0.650"
Pila 168S are 0.663"

The Powerizer are the only ones that I have which will fit without alteration. I thought about getting some of AWs newer 123's, but I've already got so many RCR123's that I think I'll peel a few of my blue AW cells and try them first.

I'm tempted to run the Powerizers, especially since they all got a thorough workout by SilverFox, but I don't really trust myself to always notice when it's time to turn it off before overdraining them. I've got a parrot, so risking a little re-charge "action" is not an option.

Kross

Newly Enlightened
so the definitive guide pretty much provides no definitive answer... awesome.

I know I need a ring (which one or where to order, no idea). Also, zero clue on what rechargeable to order. I will get this working eventually if it kills me and post a real definitive, simple, guide.

Is there anyone out there that has done this and can tell us about it?

- Kross

Latest posts