9 VOLT CREE LED HANDHELD

NickDrak

Enlightened
Hello to all,

This is my first post here so I thought I would show my new 9volt handheld CREE LED light that I put together. I ordered up the Leef HA 3x123 battery body and the CREE lamp from LightHound, and I got the Surefire M2 bezel and Z48 tailcap from BrightFlashLights. Total cost was around $160

I decided to test out the run-time on this one over the past few days while catching up with the Sopranos. I ran the light for 30 minutes, and then I would turn it off to let it cool for 15 minutes, and then continue this until the batteries gave out. I was using three fresh "TITANIUM" CR123A lithium batteries from AmondoTech.com ($1.00 each!) for this test. The light ran for 3 full hours without any loss of output. At about the 3 hour, 5-10 minute mark, it started to flicker a bit, and then lost about 25-50% of its output. It then ran for about another hour and 1/2 while gradually loosing output. The M2 bezel handled the heat dumping responsibilities well, as it was only warm to the touch after each 30 min ON session. Here are some pics of the 9 Volt CREE light that I built up next to my Surefire U2 for size comparison:
4cux2ew.jpg

4538faf.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Is there a buck circuit in the light? If not, you will probably fry the Cree emitter.

Looks like a cool light:goodjob:

Welcome to CPF!

:)Beamshots?:)

aml

Newly Enlightened
why? the lighthound units are rated at 3.7-9 volts.

reg'd at 750 ma

NickDrak

Enlightened
Yes, the CREE lamp I received from LightHound is rated from 3-9 volts. I have been carrying it at work for the past two weeks, and it has held up well so far.

NickDrak

Enlightened
Here is a pic of the 9volt CREE light:
4d634ih.jpg

Compared to my Surefire U2 Digital Ultra:
2d98klw.jpg

These pics were taken a about 35ft. The U2 has good flood at this distance, but the 9volt CREE light has equal or better flood, but tons more throw then the U2. I will try to get a good outdoors shot posted up in the next few days.

Last edited:

aml

Newly Enlightened
hey nick, were you aware that you have a gun-toting psychopath living in your basement?

Snow

Enlightened
That is definitely a sweet light, but I was imagining a little module that snapped onto the end of a 9 volt battery and made it into a flashlight.

Flash007

Enlightened
NickDrak said:
Here is a pic of the 9volt CREE light:
4d634ih.jpg

Compared to my Surefire U2 Digital Ultra:
2d98klw.jpg

These pics were taken a about 35ft. The U2 has good flood at this distance, but the 9volt CREE light has equal or better flood, but tons more throw then the U2. I will try to get a good outdoors shot posted up in the next few days.

Great dropin !

Are both pictures taken with the same manual controls ? Aperture and exposure.

kavvika

Enlightened
I noticed your MAXX. I have a Rustler XL-5. What upgrades do you have on it?

Back on topic, looks like a nice light!

NickDrak

Enlightened
Flash007 said:
Great dropin !

Are both pictures taken with the same manual controls ? Aperture and exposure.

Both pics were taken on the auto setting with the flash off.

NickDrak

Enlightened
MikeSalt said:
I thought that was a MAXX too. Are we right? I wonder what would hurt more, his bullet or your potent stream of photons?

Yes, its an E-Maxx. No mods to it other than the aluminum bumpers & skidplate. It is a blast to rip around with!!!

blahblahblah

Enlightened
NickDrak said:
Both pics were taken on the auto setting with the flash off.

The pics had the same F/2.8 according to the JPG file. However the exposure time varied.

9v Cree
5/6 sec

U2
10/17 sec

It looks like the pics can not be used to compare the two lights' total output since the exposure time for the 9v Cree pic was 42% longer than the U2 pic.

NickDrak

Enlightened
blahblahblah said:
The pics had the same F/2.8 according to the JPG file. However the exposure time varied.

9v Cree
5/6 sec

U2
10/17 sec

It looks like the pics can not be used to compare the two lights' total output since the exposure time for the 9v Cree pic was 42% longer than the U2 pic.

Whoa! I set my camera (Nikon CoolPix) on "Auto" turned OFF the flash, and set the timer for both of these pics (Yes, I am the gun-toting psychopath in the pics). Any other camera settings beyond that are outta my league:thinking:

Merkava_4

Newly Enlightened
That is one sweet light Nick :) I'm wondering how you went about selecting your parts list; somehow you had to of known the thread sizes on everything in order to pick your parts. :)

NickDrak

Enlightened
Merkava_4 said:
That is one sweet light Nick :) I'm wondering how you went about selecting your parts list; somehow you had to of known the thread sizes on everything in order to pick your parts. :)

Thanks!
The LightHound website was very helpful. The product description of the Leef bodies lists exactly which bezels & tailcaps they are compatible with. Leef also make an adapter for the larger M3 style bezel. Hopefully someone will eventually make a CREE lamp compatible with the M3. Now that would be a monster light!!!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Nick,

I tried to find Lighthound under "members list" but didn't see a list for that member. Do you have a link or IM for him/her? I would like try one of the Cree lamps in my Sure M2. What is the lumens rating for your Cree?