Anyone have the Planet Bike Super Flash Rear Light?

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened
I just checked this light out yesterday at the store. It's bright!

Someone in the bike club I'm in was using it last Wednesday night, so I got to see it be used at night.

Has anyone tried using this as a flashlight/mini worklight?

I just bought two new (cheap) bikes, and I'm going to furnish them with a few accessories.

This light may have more uses than a common rear flasher. Cost 4 times as much though.

Advertised runtime is 100 hours. Is that really possible? Maybe in flashing mode.

It uses 2 AAA batteries.

Would have been nice if this light also had a distress flash pattern too.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yup, some of those posts on MTBR are mine. I absolutely love mine - small, bright, attention-getter, even in broad daylight. jch79 and I have a review comparing that to the CatEye LD1100. We have all the text and pics ready, but haven't had time to merge both our parts. :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Green,
I use a LD1000 and it works OK for the riding I do (max speed limit on the roads are 25 MPH) Now that I am changing countries again, something tells me Tampa, FL is a bit more demanding. I'll throw a Superflash in tandem with the LD1000 and Planet Bike auto-leveling 3 LED 1AAA lithium helmet light.
Once I get the Superflash, it will be time to upgrade the red LEDs of the LD1000. What are the brightest 5mm red LEDs available? Can't ditch the LD1000, I like the side illumination and the fact it will run for a looooong time on 2 AA lithium cells.
Shame the Superflash uses 2AAA cells though, those little lithiums cost the same as AA cells. Any news of Planet Bike is going to expand the Superflash line to include a 2AA version?

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I use the Superflash on the back of my helmet, and love it. Using it exclusively on flash mode, it runs longer than any other blinky I've tried. That's not too surprising given it's idiosyncratic flashing that has the bright LED on a relatively short period of time. I think it's a great pattern, btw.

I finally swapped out the OEM cells after 6 mos., but not because the light was too dim. I just got tired of waiting for them to die! Thought about lithiums, but this isn't the best application in my opinion, since lithiums die so quickly when they (finally) reach the end of their lifespan. Since I can't see the light at all when I ride, this is one application where I prefer alkaline and it's more gradual discharge curve. Sometimes I'm out for 2-3 hours, and fear having a light that looked good when I put the helmet on, but is too faint to see a couple hours later. I think that's less likely with alkalines, even though the cells need to be changed out much more frequently.

Great light. I've got lots of red rear blinkies (I night commute on three different bikes), including the LD1000, but would prefer that they all be Superflashes.
Jack

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack,
I use lithium because they are lighter, brighter, last longer and won't freeze in sub-freezing temperatures. Very true that when they die, they die quickly but it is such a low current level that you will notice it after a few hour ride.
Sounds like a Superflash will join my LD1000 and helmet flasher this fall.

N00Ber

Newly Enlightened
JackJ said:
I use the Superflash on the back of my helmet, and love it.

Well you might love it, but the poor sod riding behind you won't.:grin2: With all due respect, I think it's cruel and unusual punishment to mount this light on your helmet. It's way too bright to be mounted at eye level.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine in the mail this past week. Definitely very bright. I have two criticisms at this time. First is that the engagement part of the clip is too small and easily disengaged. Second is that the exposed nx01 style optic might become a pain to clean should it get dirty/muddy.

Only thing I haven't decided yet is whether I'm going to run it in flashing or constant mode. There is a lot of data out there that suggests that flashing lights ATTRACT drunk or drowsy drivers...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
greenLED said:
jch79 and I have a review comparing that to the CatEye LD1100. We have all the text and pics ready, but haven't had time to merge both our parts. :)
:poke: :wave:

mosport

Enlightened
Great little light, you can't miss it when in flashing mode. Got mine from MEC for around $12 Canadian, the PB website lists MSRP for $30 (!!!).

One minor gripe is the switch, I find it a little hard to push on/off while wearing full finger gloves. Other than that, the modder inside me painted the white housing black (Krylon Fusion plastic spraypaint works perfect!).