My Bike-light and Battery Pack Mod

lexina

Enlightened
Here's my first attempt at a simple external battery pack mod for a long-running tri-Seoul bike light.

The light is a tri-Seoul P4 USWOI (wired in parallel) mounted on Litemania's bike clamp. It is direct-driven. The bi-pin connector is routed out through the switch opening. Ideally, I would like to have a very short, say, 1" body for the clamp. I could then drill a hold through the tail-cap for the connector.

This is the battery pack. It is made up of 2 parallel packs of 3-series Sanyo 2700 NiMh glued together back-to-back for 3.6v nominal, 5400 mAh which should run the tri-Seoul for close to 2.5 hours depending on the resistor. I also have a 3-parallel pack of C LiIons which is 9900 mAh. Having the connectors allows me to bring spare battery packs. For very short rides, I can just use 3 AA cells (2700 mAh) or 1 C LiIon (3300 mAh) for lighter weight. Since the cells are series-parallel, you can add as many packs of 3.6v batteries as you wish.

I have wired a simple push-button switch together with a 0.22 ohm, 2W resistor to reduce the voltage. The switch is a forward clicky with momentary.

lexina

Enlightened
Thanks to RCatR, I now have a shortened Mag tube for my bike light!

I plugged the open tail-end with a rubber stopper and used silicon to seal it up.