Bicycle mounted LED lights

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm considering on getting a bicycle to make the trip to/from work less annoying. Stock lights for them tend to suck unless you spend a HUGE amount of money. So my options are to either handlebar mount a light I can buy or to do a custom job.

I'm thinking of handlebar mounting my L2D-CE (which I should have working again very soon) but will the vibration kill the light? If not I might get a second L2D-CE and mount 2 of them. Are there any recommendations here for a light I could handlebar mount without ruining it (and a way to mount it!) - nothing super expensive like a surefire please.

aljsk8

Enlightened
most lights will work fine with the vibration

something like 2 single aa cree lights look good and work well id go for ultrafire
as there cheeper but do the same job

you cant beat a homemade system

some aluminium square tube
2 or 3 cree with optics/reflector
1000ma driver
imagaination

this way you get 400 - 600 lumens for the same price as 2 fenix
but it will take time and skills

Swallow

Newly Enlightened
have a look at my only thread on this forum - I had never made anything electronic like this before and even I didnt find it too difficult - good luck with your lights, Tom

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
nlr05.jpg

i have the l2d and use this.
works okay but my brother broke his by leaving it on overnight.
twofish cycloblocks is another option

Krit

Enlightened
This is my easy bike light.

Made from standard reflector like this pic.

DSC00193.jpg

Remove reflector and attached tiny light.

DSC00153.jpg

I use Fraen 20 mm and LuxIII drive with downboy500 mA.

joerky

Newly Enlightened
My 2 cents for the home made version:

The Shimano or SON Dynamos (built in the center of the wheel) cant make more than 700mA - so you can take any Luxeon LED and connect it DIRECTLY to the Dynamo. These dynamos are working like a constant current supply.

For slower speed to prevent from pulsing (it is AC current) you can use a bridge rectifier. The Voltage is high enough to provide two or even three LEDs in serial.

So there is no need to use batteries again and again - and you can build your LED light as you want. No circuit is needed :)

Joerky

Krit

Enlightened
Green LED, I have no complete picture in all stage I do. But have some more data,

This is my police head, it is 6 chinese led flashlight. I cut it down for make it shorten.

DSC00184.jpg

This is faren narrow beam optic. It make good light without hotspot and plenty of light infront of my Bike.

DSC00185.jpg

Lens housing,

DSC00199.jpg

Easy switch on shifter.

DSC00158.jpg

I drive with DB500 for long time operate from 2 x 14500 battery.

Krit

Enlightened
light in under step of camera adjust,

DSC00194.jpg

You can see it's heatsink.

DSC00156.jpg

Another easy bike light I have,

I use cable tile and drive this mag by madmax plus, luxIII.

DSCN0726.jpg

DSCN0728.jpg

IMG_5041.jpg

Last edited:

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Want something easy and fairly cheap? Try two standard Mini M@gs with 1 Watt drop ins. Attach to handle bars with the basic Two-Fish mount from Lighthound. Not a blazingly bright option but I find it to be plenty of light and if something happens to one of the lights....they are cheap to fix/replace.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all I did not expect this many replies! The bike links thread is going to give me a lot to read, and thanks for your suggestions.

I agree that 2 cheaper lights may be a better idea than a couple of L2D's incase something does happen... but then a custom system could be constructed cheaply enough... I'll have to have a think :)

A custom system is beginning to look attractive. I probably wont use any dynamos - I'd have a charging port and a removeable battery. I hadn't thought about scouring ebay for anything cheap that mounts to the handlebar to mod - might give that a go - although the stock attachments for lights like the minimag may work too. I'd go with NiMH batteries - imo li-ion is dangerous also in the event of a crash where the pack gets damaged somehow, and harder to deal with (I have never dealt with li-ion cells before).