Alternative driver to the Xitanium line?

alphazeta

Enlightened
I've search CPF & didn't find any alternative to the Xitanium constant current output drivers. My google search provided this item:
http://www.besthongkong.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_51&products_id=491

I wonder if anyone on CPF has had any experience with this driver. I'm looking to build several outdoor lighting fixtures and was looking for an efficient driver with an attractive price.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently become interested in home LED lighting myself but have only used Xitanium driver so far. There is quite a bit of helpful information posted here at CPF on this subject and the different drivers available. More info on what voltage you will be using and how many emitters you want to run on the driver might be a good idea to add to your post so someome can suggest a specific driver that would work for your LED lighting project. The link below to Andytiedye`s index of fixed lighting threads should help you out if you don`t mind all the reading.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...fixed+lighting

Good luck in your search. :)

Ken

alphazeta

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Ken. In the past months, I've actually read & bookmarked the heck out of the links in the home lighting thread.

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. At about $30 per xitanium driver + shipping, it becomes a bit impractical for me to replace a great deal of fixtures.

Essentially, I would like a driver that will allow me to run between 2~4 cree emitters off the mains. The item in link I provided *seems* to offer that but, I've never heard of anyone using them before. In any case, I may order 1 or 2 to try out then.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some lower power Xitanium (Advanced Transformers) drivers that Future-Active sell. They are around $14 - $15 for the 350mA or 700mA versions. Max of 12V output, so 3 white LEDs in series max.

I've used a few of them and they work great, small, efficient, fully potted etc etc.

Search for:
LEDUNIA0350C12FM
LEDUNIA0700C12FM

on the future-active website.

I bought about 10 of each flavour early in the year when they were around $9 each...

cheers,
george.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Looked interesting for a second ot two but 230 volt is a no-go for me. I don`t know about alphazeta since he didn`t take my suggestion and post what he wants.

Hi Kenster,
I just wanted to let you know that I certainly appreciated your initial response & it most certainly was NOT my intention to brush your suggestions aside (if you should take it as such)

Most likely, my opening post was unclear. I was just looking for a driver which was not as robust as the Xitanium drivers listed on:
http://www.luxeonstar.com/ (I did not feel I needed such a package for the use I have intended)

Again, thanks to all for the leads provided in this thread.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kenster,
I just wanted to let you know that I certainly appreciated your initial response & it most certainly was NOT my intention to brush your suggestions aside (if you should take it as such)

Most likely, my opening post was unclear. I was just looking for a driver which was not as robust as the Xitanium drivers listed on:
http://www.luxeonstar.com/ (I did not feel I needed such a package for the use I have intended)

Again, thanks to all for the leads provided in this thread.

alphazeta, I apologize for my posts which were intended to be helpful but then turned quite rude. I am truly ashamed of myself. My mind was elsewhere and it was me dealing rather poorly with one of lifes :huh: :duh2: :banghead: :hairpull: :ohgeez: that kind of snuck up on me while I was having fun here at CPF. Thank you for being the true gentleman you have proven yourself to be.

Ken

LEDite

Enlightened
alphazeta;

I looked at the Xitanium driver, but decided against it, due to the Sandwich Shop rated efficiency of 80%.

A good switching power supply should be at least 90% efficient. I've checked dozens of them with resistor loads and a wattmeter. There are some good ones available in different voltage ranges.

The one I used in my 10 watt Ac downlight was over 90%:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/155211

Heat sink design is a big factor in multiple Cree fixtures.

Larry Cobb

P.S. I just got a new switching supply for a 6-LED system that I tested @ 95% efficiency !

Last edited:

shortstack

Enlightened
i would give it a try (besthongkong.com drivers) i've used some of there leds and they work good. im gonna start messing with retrofit home led (120votls) and im gonna use there drivers.

alphazeta

Enlightened
i would give it a try (besthongkong.com drivers) i've used some of there leds and they work good. im gonna start messing with retrofit home led (120votls) and im gonna use there drivers.

Actually, I started this thread almost a year & a half ago.
But to give you an update, I've long since bought & used xitanium drivers by the boxes.

Although I briefly entertained the thought of using one of the cheaper drivers on 110v mains but, that thought quickly left.
No sense in saving a few bucks just void your home's insurance policy :shakehead

shortstack

Enlightened
ah ya true, did it seem like the cheaper one did ok?
also do you know if they make any AC drivers that will power the SSC P7 or the MC-E ?

alphazeta

Enlightened
I never bought any other brands of drivers for fixed lighting so I can't give you my opinion on that.

Without looking at what drivers are now available, I can tell you off the top of my head that the MC-E can be easily driven to full power when wired in series.

In addition, my personal preference in fixed lighting is NOT to use seoul emitters. The gummy silicone domes are dust magnets & are quite fragile.

For fixed lighting, I would go with the MC-E over the P7, hands down. In that application, there are zero advantages that the P7 offers over the MC-E.

shortstack

Enlightened
thanks for the info, im just getting into the high power leds. is there a thread that talks about wireing then in series/parallel. and to know if you can add a certain amount on a driver. like if i wanted 2 MC-E with a cerain driver or so on. thanks