3W Cree drop-in suitable for bike light?

Lazgoat

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of building a set of inexpensive but good quality bike lights. I've seen the mag mods and I'm looking for a 2D mag to hack.I figure this would be the best long term solution as they are well built and sealed for riding in bad conditions.

In the meantime thought I've seen some 3W Cree dropins on DX that look tempting. I've never seen how bright these can get.The one I'm after has a 900mAh regulator that will take 3.6-9V input. Would a pair of 18650 cells in series (so 7.2V 2400mAh) be sufficient to drive this light for a reasonable lenght of time? My basic knowledge says this should be good for about 4hrs? ((7.2 x 2.4Ah)/3) x 0.8 for efficiency loss?

Any thoughts?

nightrider

Enlightened
This link might be of some use to you. On mtbr.com there are some pretty good bike lighting discussions.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=310956
This person is basically attempting to do the same thing you are wanting, so it's a good thread to follow... maybe it will work out.

BTW - thanks to AndyTiedye for giving CPF the next best thing to bike lighting forum :)

Last edited:

kboy25

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of those cree 3W rechargeable lights from DX for like $20. I also got their $2 holder (but it's not secure, so i'll probably get one of the fish block thingamajigs). But the light itself is solid.

I pair it with my Cygolite Li-Ion to get more flood/spill.:twothumbs