Lumapower - New LM301 and LM303

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to Qualityflashlights.at I have already received one LM301 and one LM303.

LM301 is a 1xAA and LM303 a 1x123.

They are both finished in a dark olive green anodize and the three parts of the lights are identical in color. Surface quality is very good as expected by a Lumapower true fan.
The switch is a three position reverse clickie and does off-low-high-off. There is however another possibility: one can for instance leave the clickie on high and undo the head by a quarter turn; the light will be switched off but when the head is tightened again it will go on at the previous level i.e. high. In this way you have a sort of level memory. The head's loosening acts also as a safety against accidental switching on.

The package contains the usual spare o-rings, an already attached lanyard as well as three rubber caps for the switch: red, black and GITD. The red one is installed on the light but changing is very easy. There is also a sheath very similar to the Fenix type.

Taking into account SSC P4 LED's and stippled reflectors these lights are designed as flooders and do an excellent job when walking around in the dark. Low is right for indoors and high good for a walk. Do not expect to pin on a wall a fox crossing your path 300 feet away. The beams are free from artifacts and there is a good and smooth transition between the hotspot and the spillbeam with a lot of the latter.

Overall a pair of good and reasonably priced EDC lights for those who do not like five levels and strobes.

Finally I feel I have to apologize for my poor capability in taking pics of beams on a white wall. Both lights are on high fed by primaries. I let the camera do the work and what you see here is the result....:shrug:

cimg0070ai8.jpg

cimg0075sg8.jpg

cimg0079fo9.jpg

cimg0080id0.jpg

cimg0081xe8.jpg

cimg0082hb1.jpg

cimg0089sb0.jpg

lm01rt5.jpg

:wave:

JKL

Enlightened
Hi Kilovolt,
very interesting, thanks for your review and pictures :goodjob:.

Have you done some test about LM301 and LM303 runtimes? :thinking:

marven

Newly Enlightened
Hi Kilovolt :wave:
Thanks for the interesting review and the photos :thumbsup:
My compliments for your 2 new Lumapower lights!
Would be interesting a side by side outdoor comparison with the most similar Fenixes, L1D-CE and P2D-CE.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilovolt, thanks e very nice review and beautiful photos!

When you have the chance, can you compare the 2 models, as to output, beam characteristics, etc., as well as your preferences. I am trying to decide between the two. :thinking:

The LM303 appears to have quite a bit more output (esp. on an RCR123A, per the specs), but the dimmer hotspot on the LM301 may blend more smoothly into the spill? Also, from your photo, it appears that the LM303 has a wider spill?

Thanks again for a great post.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics Kilovolt! Really nice to see the LP LMs right next to their Fenix counterparts. As mentioned above, comparisons to the Fenix P2D and L1D would be great, along with runtime tests, if you could. The finish on the LMs look great...wish it was HA. Thanks again!

lumenal

Enlightened
Thanks for the great photos Kilovolt.

So, as I understand it, the activation sequence is first low, and then high, and then off? In 3 consecutive clicks?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great photos Kilovolt.

So, as I understand it, the activation sequence is first low, and then high, and then off? In 3 consecutive clicks?

Your understanding is correct but as I said you can also leave the clickie on high and use the head as a switch.

BTW only the GITD rubber boot enables the light to tailstand...:thinking:...funny but it's even written in the instructions.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you take a picture of the lights disassembled?

How is the machining?

Is there thread slop?

Yes for the pics, but please give me some time.:)

Machining is very accurate without any thread slop. For the first time on a new flashlight I didn't have to clean and lube the threads, would you believe it ?:thumbsup:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilovolt,

The LMs seem to be very well made. Can you give your assessment of how the LumaPower LMs compare to their Fenix counterparts L1D and P2D in terms of machining and build quality? I've read posts about the thread slop on some Fenixes and wonder if the LMs are better made.
Thanks!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does "thread slop" mean the two pieces don't align properly when tightening, or, does it mean literally, there is "slop", or some sort of garbage/junk in the threads?

LEDAdd1ct

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here you will find some more pics comparing the two new Lumapower lights to their corresponding Fenix types i.e. 1xAA L1D CE and 1x123 P2D CE.

As you can see the sizes are very similar but IMHO the two brands follow different design approaches. Fenixes are basically throwers with smooth reflectors and a U.I. addressing flashaholics (my wife does not know that her L0D has more than one level...) while these Lumapowers are meant for floody beams and easy use. Having said that I would state that you find here exactly what you would expect to find on that basis. At this point a choice is a matter of personal taste and intended use and I will not get involved in this kind of discussion (F is much better than L......, no no no, L is much better than F....) which you sometimes find here.:naughty:

After a couple of days of use the two Luma still do not require cleaning and lubeing which says a lot about their QC. Their construction appears to be more looked after than Fenix'. If I am allowed to do so I would compare Lumapower to Mercedes (style & comfort) and Fenix to BMW (performance first). I believe that no one over the years has been able to conclude which is the best of the two...:cool:

Which of the two I like better and why? Well I surely prefer compact flashlights and consequently I like better LM303 as I like better P2D over P3D. LM303's beam is noticeably more powerful but its minimum level is unsuitable for nocturnal fridge raiding, too strong. So I will use 303 during the day...:ohgeez:...and 301 during the night....well you understand what I mean...:whistle:

And here we go again:

cimg0102uc1.jpg

cimg0103qx6.jpg

cimg0104ap1.jpg

cimg0105bg9.jpg

cimg0107hj2.jpg

cimg0108og6.jpg

cimg0109tq7.jpg

cimg0111nb1.jpg

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks , for this review. Now wheres that B.junction website...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three days ago:
When you have the chance, can you compare the 2 models, as to output, beam characteristics, etc., as well as your preferences. I am trying to decide between the two. :thinking:
Yesterday:
Order placed for 1 of each. :)

Thanks, Matt!

Congratulations AFAustin, you are the last of true flashaholics.......:twothumbs......and an example to all of us !!! :naughty:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the tail switch always go from Low to High before OFF or will it switch OFF without going through High after a few seconds on Low ?

I know you can always use the twist off trick to bypass High.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch sequence is always off - low - high - off. The switch is purely mechanical.
You can also use the head trick to bypass low and have high immediately.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, yes, Kilovolt, the flesh is weak......and your excellent comments and beautiful photos didn't help any! :devil:

Seriously, thanks for your great work on the LM301/303, and I'm looking forward to trying out and comparing/contrasting these little guys.

Latest posts