Best small RED led

scottaw

Enlightened
Ok, been camping a few times, reading "less is more threads" and it's time for a new light. (Gotta justify it in my head somehow) What im looking for is a red led light, im not sure how many lumens i need b/c i've never owned a red light before. I would like it to run on 1x123A, just because that's the battery i always carry with me. Gerber Ultra M looks like a nice light, but it's 1xAA.

So what do you think? Whats your favorite red lights and why. How many lumens are good for red? Do i need multi stages?

The light will be for camping just to get around at night, or use around the house not to disturb anyone else sleeping.

Im also open to a beamcover to fit my P2D, but it would have to be easy to switch from red to white. Flip-up maybe?

Thanks for the help.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Right now my favorite red light is my newest light, the Photon Proton. It combines 6 white and 1 red LED, has variable output for both plus flash and SOS modes. It is a single AA, however. But, for low lighting needs it would be tough to beat. It might not have a bright enough red for hiking.

Geoff

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
My red SureFire L1 is bright enough to hike with and runs 90 hours on low.

I definitely do not advise a red filter over a white LED. There is very little red light in the beam to begin with, and by stripping out all the other wavelengths you will notice a drastic reduction in lumens. Stick with a red LED. My U2 on high through a red filter is not bright enough to hike with, even though it's probably 5 times the lumens of an L1 without the filter.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Many of the headlamps in the stores these days combine 1-2 red LED's for night use. Also, for you 1 x CR123 preference, you may want to consider the Inova 24/7. It has 2 red, 2 yellow, and 4 white.

redledz

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps the Inova X5. Runs on 1 cr123 and has a pretty narrow beam which might be good not disturbing others. On a fresh cell it is rather bright imo, but I put the lowest power cell from G2 in it and it is just right for me. The only other 123 light in red I can think of would be a Peak Mckinley. oop theres also the Streamlight Night com which has both Xenon and red.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure the Inova X5 runs on two 123's but runtime is ridiculously long.

Peak McKinley is another possibility, as a couple people mentioned.

Another idea is to fit a Tekna Splashlite with a red led bulb replacement. I used to want to do that.

These days I'm happy with a red-led CMG Infinity so I never carried out the Splashlite mod. Yes it's powered by an AA cell, but its runtime is more than plenty for just about any camping trip.

I do have some #222 screwbase bulb bases suitable for modding with an LED (kindly supplied by Scott at Tektite for the purpose of a related Splashlite mod that I also didn't pursue) so I can send you one if you want. You'd just solder in a resistor and led.

Presumably since you want a red led in order to not disturb people, you DON'T want it very bright. A single 5mm red led is enough to walk around in the dark with.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very tempted by the StreamLight Sidewinder... A 1/2 watt white LED, plus one each small green, blue, and red LEDs (IR LED option available that replaces green LED)--all adjustable power from 5%-100% (plus strobe--only one LED can be on at a time). 2AA with a swivel head. Not cheap ($50-$70 retail).

2xAA (any 1.5 volt chemistry) with clip--in Tan or Green, designed military use. 7-100+ hours on battery (depends on light setting).

-Bill

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Whats your favorite red lights and why. How many lumens are good for red? Do i need multi stages?

The light will be for camping just to get around at night, or use around the house not to disturb anyone else sleeping.

I am a HUGE red light fan.

INOVA X5 RED I own one, it runs on ONE 123a Battery It is hands down, the most used light I own. It is robust. I have throw it, over hand, as hard as i could, through the woods, (while on, to prove a point) and it didn't break.

I can't recommend it enough. I can just say, "get one, and you will understand."

9 feet, white wall, circle is a clay pigeon:
X5Beam.jpg

ns66

Newly Enlightened
i wonder why not put a red filter in front of white cree? yeah you lost a bit of light but no need to buy something just for color

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder why not put a red filter in front of white cree? yeah you lost a bit of light but no need to buy something just for color

Only reason is you get a not very bright and horribly inefficient red LED flashlight... Makes some sense for a filament bulb--but white LED's have very little red in them... And red LED's are themselves, already very efficient.

-Bill

lightinsky

Enlightened
I'd go with the multi mode Inova 24/7. This is a compact yet mult use led light that only uses one 123 battery.

scottaw

Enlightened
StainlessSteel, i checked battery junction, and it has the X5 listed as 2x123, is there a different option, where did you get yours? That beamshot looks great and i like the look of the light itself.

Marduke

Flashaholic
StainlessSteel, i checked battery junction, and it has the X5 listed as 2x123, is there a different option, where did you get yours? That beamshot looks great and i like the look of the light itself.

The white, UV, and blue uses 2 cells. The red uses only 1 cell and a spacer.

Last edited:

Latest posts