newbie bike lights (leds)

thwang-01

Newly Enlightened
hi all

i,ve been wanting to build some led bike lights for some time after my mates talled me how much their HIDS cost no way am i paying out over £300 for a set of lights.i,ve mulled over a few differant designes this is what i have for now still not finished yet spec are 2x 3w luxeon 700 current regulator battery will be an 12V afair and a set with 2x soul p4 what do you think so far.
cheers thwang.

DSCF2824.jpg

DSCF2826.jpg

lightsluxeon.jpg

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello thwang-01:)

Very nice so far.
Perhaps it makes sense, adding a lens in front of the 2 optics, due to the insects, dust......and cleaning processes, you wouldn't get scratches at the optics.

I would also use a thicker heatsink, like carrot suggested.

Good luck and best regards

_____
Tom

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice!!
Looks very lightweight! Are you using an external battery pack?
Try flashlightlense.com for some lenses to keep debris off the optics...
Can't wait to see some beamshots!!

thwang-01

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys i,m not to sure how much room i will have left after i fit the jack plug and switch in.just had a look i think i can add another 3-5mm of heat sink. still working on the battery pack i might go for a lenght off plastic tube similar to the vista battery pack.
cheers thwang

Darell

Flashaholic
You don't need more mass, really. You would benefit from more surface area, however. Fins externally would help tremendously.

Looks great!

thwang-01

Newly Enlightened
optics are a 5 deg spot and if i remember correct 25 or a 40 flood i bought them months ago just got round to building them with the 3w luxeons i have 2x soul p4 to build as well if i can get some laser time at work i should be able to make the case 25% smaller i think.
cheers thwang

thwang-01

Newly Enlightened
HI GUYS
well i,ve just finished wiring my commuter light up 2x luxeon running at 700mah(hopefully if i have fitted the right regulator) . im just waiting for the 8xAA battery holders to arrive. well i can not beleive it they work as anything electrical is not my strong point. i tested them with 2xAAA battery just to see if they would work. the only problem i have is i have 2 voltage regulators 1x350mah and 1x700mah and i dont kmnow which one i have fitted as my wife mixed them up on the pc table when she was on the computer
cheers thwang
DSCF2910.jpg

gandbag

Newly Enlightened
Very nice. With a little sanding and polishing it could be even nicer.

Just wondering, but what was the original section of aluminum shaped like? How did you shape it? It certainly doesn't look like a CNC piece...

Please post beam shots when you get the drivers/LEDs sorted!

thwang-01

Newly Enlightened
hi
i sketched the design up myself then had one of the cad guys at work draw it up to be laser cut from 2mm al150 half hard sheet ally. i then fabed up a jig to form the body then i welded it up myself. i will probably have the bodys powder coated at work the only trouble with the al1050 its a bit soft and it dosnt harden after welding