I HAVE SHAMED ALL OF CPF...SORRY ALL

FASTCAR

Banned
Was at the local shooting range. Capped off a few rounds on the new .50 cal DE...talk about kick !!!

Few of us started chatting about flashlights we used.Guys started pulling out lights from all over !!!.Mags, pelicans,surefires the list goes on ( Streamlight stinker seemed most carried)

Size for size no 1 could hang with me.We had a 50+ light shootout in back of Rey's sport shop.Had T5,6a/cree 9a/cree and 13v wolf eyes.
Heck I think my tiny T5 bested all of the other lights regardless of size.

B4 I left I went to the car and grabbed the PL24 H.I.D.( they assumed was a mag) Mostly to show off to be honest.Those of yall that have HIDs know the reaction you get from people new to HID.

Well that took the cake..or so I thought.

A state trooper commented on how nice my "little" PL24 was!!! YES HE SAID "LITTLE"...mumbled about how it is a nice cheepie HID.

He left and came back 2 mins later with a light I thought was a rumor.

Surefire "BEAST"

Well I have been humbled finally.

He claimed it is worth 4000$+ new.A PL24 is like 300 bucks.Was it 13 times better then the PL...no.Lol I think it took like 15 or so 123s ( really).

I must say it was DAMN bright.PL is rated at 1300ish lumens. This beasty was maybee double.

If any here own this "Beast", I bow to you :thumbsup:

B4 I left I said lets arm wrestle HID for HID. ( joking)
In typical cockey state trooper fashion he said :
#1 you got 150lbs on me
#2 I would'nt want to win that "thing"

***1 question..is that "Beast" really only 24W ? I cant figure how its roughly 2x more lumens with the same wattage.

Sorry I let yall down :mecry:

My 2cents

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You let no one down.....look at the price comparison!!!
I certainly don't have $4000.00 to spend on a single light!
The "BEAST" is bad-*** though.....wish I coulda seen it in person

carrot

Flashaholic
I remember hearing stories about PK telling people to throw the Beast in the air as hard as they could and confidently watching it fall to the ground.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Wow, sounds like you needed a Barnburner,

Must have been impressive to see the Beast in person.

What if you had a Polarion Helios?

Last edited:

FASTCAR

Banned
I have owned /tested well over 100 lights.
I can say hands down this beast was the best made light I have ever seen.

Not sure I would throw it, did look like it could take a beating though.

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
Too bad you weren't closer, I could have brought the Barn Burner and the trooper would have been the one wishing he had purchased differently. He has a nice light but he paid for it in spades and doesn't have the lumens/dollars that you or I have. You let nobody down, there is always someone with something bigger, and even bigger than the Barn Burner. Enjoy your light.:thumbsup:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't let it happen again :twak: :grin2: :laughing: Get a Mag623 right now and you'll flame that Beast good. Just tell him it's a regular $20 Maglite but runs special batteries. Refuse to show him the batteries but hint they are new special ops nuclear based power cells.
Sounds like it was a fun time at the range :)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer your 1 question, the Beast is a very powerful 35w HID. (versus a less powerful 35w HID). I think the new ones are supposed to be rechargeable (The Beast II). I didn't think they were $4,000, though. I thought their retail price was about $3000, but I guess a lack of available could drive the price up.

Walt175

Enlightened
I sure hope it was the trooper's personal property, and not paid for by taxpayers.

I don't know which is worse. Spending my tax money on it, or paying the trooper so much he could afford one! :ohgeez: :laughing:

Ray's huh? Haven't been there in a while. Maybe I need to change that.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad you weren't closer, I could have brought the Barn Burner and the trooper would have been the one wishing he had purchased differently. He has a nice light but he paid for it in spades and doesn't have the lumens/dollars that you or I have. You let nobody down, there is always someone with something bigger, and even bigger than the Barn Burner. Enjoy your light.:thumbsup:

Toolboy, IM waiting for you, about a month old.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know which is worse. Spending my tax money on it, or paying the trooper so much he could afford one! :ohgeez: :laughing:

Ray's huh? Haven't been there in a while. Maybe I need to change that.

Spending tax money for a department to buy it would suck as they can't realistically justify such an expensive flashlight. Paying the trooper enough so he could afford it himself would be by far the best choice as I don't think you can pay LEO's enough for what they have to do.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I was at the So.Cal Get-together and witnessed PK launch the Beast II I believe, about 6-7ft In the air and drop without a flicker.

paulr

Flashaholic
The original Beast ran on 20x cr123a's. Surefire sold a few dozen of them to the public for around $3K apiece and several CPF'ers got them. I'm not familiar with the PL24 but I don't expect the Beast to especially overpower other hids in its size and power class (e.g. X990). It's just a heck of a lot more rugged, and sexier looking, and has some special hot-strike capability so you can turn it on and off quickly (compared with other hids) without damaging it.

I'm entirely in favor of paying troopers enough to buy their own Beasts. It beats giving the tax money to certain other government-financed sectors that, shall we say, do less worthwhile things than troopers do.

Last edited:

chakrawal

Enlightened
FinishHard Anodized Black
Performance
Power in Lumens
12 (LED) / 2,000 (HID)
Runtime in minutes

Lithium​
90 (HID) / 1200 (LED)
Li-Ion Rechargeable Handle​
120 (HID) / 1920 (LED) Battery