TnC Cree XRE "Wall of Light"

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
While "playing" with TnC legos for the new TnC "C" Li-on bodies review, put a flu-pic Cree XRE cannister in a TnC adapter and mated to a 18650 body with no reflector.

Result = a very nice, no artifact two level "wall" similar to my Ti McGizmo Mule; mated it also to a CR123 body as, well for pocket carry. Interchangeability of bodies and tailcaps is good.

I did mate with the larger 27mm head, no reflector and "C" Li-on bodies. Due to the geometry of the head, the Cree LED die was reflected in the beam. Light is certainly acceptable with a wider beam, but I prefer the smaller head.

213968450-M.jpg
213968495-M.jpg
213968530-M.jpg

213968578-M.jpg
213968591-M.jpg

For inside use, these reflectorless lights, are great. Plan to try the 18650 set-up for a night walk, this week and will report back.

XRE cannister could also be use with an Aleph adapter, (TnC adapter pictured) and used with Aleph series bodies and head....... plan to order and try as I have a variety of bodies and heads.

jeffb

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparisons to a TnC AA (Seoul flu-pic) and LumaPower D Mini and Tnc
213968665-M.jpg
213968833-M.jpg

who

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jeffb,

While waiting for McGizmo/The Shoppe to come out with an Aleph Mule head, I have been doing the same, using a Seoul canister. I believe the Cree, with its forward radiation is a better choice. If you have both, could you do a quick comparison?

I also found that by unscrewing the canister out as much as possible, the LED is very near the lens, giving a much bigger flood. I use a spacer in the battery compartment to make up for the missing space.

Overall, another great use for the splendid TnC products.:twothumbs

Thank you.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several 20mm heads and adapters, so, mated a P4 Seoul cannister and the P4 performs , almost identically, except for the tint (cree is somewhat whiter or toward the blue spectrum). Believe that the tint allows Seoul to appear somewhat brighter (perhaps?). My "old" eyes may see different than yours!

Also compared with Mule and the "Mule" head has milled slots that allow for a concentric, yet larger beam. (upon examination..........the LED is mounted closer to the front bezel..........the slots do not effect, sorry my mistake!)

Hope this helps..............due to the nature of these beams, "shots", might not be realistic.

jeffb

Last edited:

who

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jeffb,

Thank you for your observation. You are one of the few TnC gurus in CPF, and I will need more advices from you to move forward in the TnC world; if you don't mind of course.

I have been playing with the floody "open LED" concept for a while. It started with the L4 then went downhill from thereJ. You would not believe how many lights I had the heads opened just to experiment with this flood light idea.
The new Zebra light is a good one to play with.

Regards.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the bokeh in the second post. First post bokeh is very distracting... :p

Sorry for the distraction:D........was concentrating on the flashlights.......the camera (Canon 20D w/28-70mm L, Lens) is better quality than the guy taking the pictures :sigh:

jeffb

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
63mm, F2.8

all were taken f2.8, 100 ISO, Manual mode no tripod.