Its a surprisingly useful MOD, rugged too.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC00068.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Short intro as to why i made this mod...

i live in Singapore, and hear its compulsary for all "able bodied young men" to serve in the army for two years, this is known as national service, NS, so my being the age where me and all my friends needed to start thinking about it (we all, by right , are supposed to start next year), i checked out what kind of torch is "standard issue".

The original "Angled" light here is incandecent, and WOEFULLY underpowered. We're talking MINI-MAG level, (mini mag is a classic but at stock, it just cant keep up in terms of power) . Even my younger brother, who is so used to my lumen blasting torches was incredulous that the army used these. Ergo, this mod.

By The way, sorry for the not-so-clear pictures, ill borrow my friends SLR sometime and update...

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

Exploded view, you can see the head, and the Reflector assembly in the top one, (batteries too) and you can see the included lenses in the bottom picture. My room was quite dark, so i used my surefire to light it up, im actually using the clear diffuser lens from this light, so thats actually missing.

DSC00058.jpg

- The Reflector Assembly

DSC00057.jpg

- The Reflector Assembly, you can see the Connection board, with a cree p4

The place i get my supplies from only has p4s on a circuit board that small, so im using that for the moment. You may wonder why Ive put the LED on the relfector itself, thats because the original construction with the incandecent, the bulb was quite foward. So,i tried to place the LED as forward as possibly to TRY and get some extra throw.

DSC00056.jpg

Here you can see the Circuit board, 700mA 2.5W Regulated Circuit Board 3v input. So im driving the LED at 700mA, which should be giving at least 100++ bulb lumens.

The clear stuff you can see (well, it IS there,on the board) is hot glue, ie. the kind from a glue gun. The Negative (-) connection for this torch is actually the Reflector itself, so i had to solder a piece of wire from the (-) on the circuit bard (the round circumference part) to the reflector itself. Then i insulated that with the hot glue, and soldered half a spring (from a pilot g2 pen) to the positive connection so that it would connect the the plate inside the torch head. The circuit board is also just small enough to fit into the base of the Reflector, so its glued there too. I might consider Changing the hot glue with Epoxy, or something, as per advice from my friend's dad who also watches this site.

BEAMSHOTS!!

Here is my CP4700 Angled (i think ill call it that..:naughty:) beamshot and approx. i metre.

DSC00062.jpg

Here it is Up against my G2-Z with P61 120 lumen output

DSC00063.jpg

And here it is against my Photon X-light Micro

DSC00064.jpg

And heres with the RED lens

DSC00067.jpg

Im Very happy with this light, The switch is very reliable, and in order not to waste my surefire's batteries (im still using primaries..), i tend to turn to this at night when i need a torch around the house. Of course that job will be designated to me P1D-CE Q5 when it gets here, but this is good too,it uses two C batteries, and can use 2 AA, if you know how (heh).

All beamshots are from approx 1 m by the way. And that "artifect" is blu-tack. (sorry!)

Anyway, i plan to make more of these, with perhaps, the said epoxy, and either sell them or give them to my army going friends.

Also, the body of this torch is quite sturdy, considering its plastic, not even nitrolan or anything other propietry polymer or anything.

Did i mention that its even got a clip?

Bottom line is, im glad i didnt buy the humvee GI light, or the molle light, and its a spill light, its NOT a thrower, its gets outthrowed by almost everything, but im guessing in the army you need more spill then throw most of the time anyway, and its one heck of a spiller,and even if you needed throw, theres always the hellfire.....

Also, its cheaper then bringing a surefire, or any other light into the field, and if you lose it, your heart wont be mutilated.

Please Comment :) suggestions for improvement are very welcome, perhaps even a way to make it completely water proof?

Crenshaw

PS: this is my first mod!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
My I ask how you are heatsinking the LED?

Making it water proof, humm, correctly sized gaskets? Epoxy?

Seems to be a good mod.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
For heat sinking, i havnt done much really. The reflector itself is made of metal, not sure what, but im using it as a kind of heatsink. Im hoping it doesnt heat up to much, this is my first piece so im going to use it while and see if the heat generated is okay, if not ill look into more heat sinking for my next version.

As for water proofing, i think the gaskets are pretty good as it is, and the inner lens seems glued on. Maybe ill test it.... bucket of water maybe?

Crenshaw

fatts

Newly Enlightened
Good job on the mod! Personally, I just bought a LED drop-in last time whilst in the army and my OC was impressed... =p Certainly no where as bright as yours, but my commanders always complained my light was too bright and not tactical! :D

What's the current you estimate going through to the emitter though? I'd be very worried about heatsinking since the plastic body won't help.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately i wont be going in to army that fast.. most of my friends will though, ill probably engrave it with something to mark it as my creation and give one to them...

its running at 700mA if the specs on the circuit are to be believed, it hasnt gotten hot so far.
Ill probably run it continuous for an hour or so to check the run time and also to see if it will blow, or melt...as soon as i get another body and more parts arrive.

Aparently the standard issue now is a Straight Flashlight, khaki,also D&G (not dolce....), i think i should try and get my hands on that and see what can be done.

I do agree though, with long run times heat sinking is likley to cause problems, but not much is going to fit into that tiny head...hmmm......?!

Crenshaw

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please Comment :) suggestions for improvement are very welcome, perhaps even a way to make it completely water proof?

I have an older surplus angle head light like that one and a while back (actually like 10 years ago :) ) I decided to test its waterproofness. I walked out on the dock and dropped in the the lake. Granted, it was only about 2 or 3 feet of water, but I left in in there for 10 minutes or so, while on, with no water penetration. That said, mine has black rubber gaskets at all thread points except for the outter, color/diffuser lens ring... hmm, probably should silicone them up before they get too dry and crack...

s23246g

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the batteries in mine with 3 123's and dropped in a 6 cell mag bulb. Seemed to work fine. I didn't test for melting, etc because I didn't want to waste the batteries, but if I had to carry one of those cheap piles of cr@p, I would have to find some way to mod it so it was more powerful. I can't believe the army still uses those cheap things as standard issue. (I just looked it up and found that the US army uses them still also.)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, the SAF (my army) uses an even crappier light now, its similar, but straight. I dont know what thier thinking, but my friend is having LOADS of fun freaking people out cos his angled light is so much brighter then anything they have. He has got warnings from his senior officers though...lol, ill bet thier just jealous.

Crenshaw

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it use 2 D cells? There are led drop in bulbs that will fit and are alot less work. I have one and have a led drop-in bulb in there I have the faceted lens in mine it gives the light a better beam

stariondriver

Newly Enlightened
looking for opinions about modding an angle head military light

http://olive-drab.com/images/flashlight_anglehead_400.jpg

I have one like that for years. I recently got one of JayRobs Maglite builds, so i was thinking it would be sweet to do some like that to this one.

I wonder if there is a light out there with a reflector that I can swap in?

I know they make a basic LED 3 watt bulb to drop in there, but i was thingking something like the reflector from a different light with an xml or mt in there and 2 24650's in the flashlight.

And I do know there are lots of sweet units on the shelf already.

Last edited:

stariondriver

Newly Enlightened
Re: looking for opinions about modding an angle head military light

Looks like an ultra fire c2 or c8 might have the right size to fab a dropin...also the 35 mm triple optics might work as well..

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Re: looking for opinions about modding an angle head military light

For people like me who aren't as talented as Crenshaw you can buy one of these from Elektro Lumens . I always have one around in my emergency kit.