Romisen RC-N3 2xAA/1CR123

chanamasala

Enlightened
I purchased it from Dealextreme.com.

Takes 2xAA or 1xCR123. I've fit Eneloops. Also just tried a 3.7v RCR123 and it is brighter and the circuit seems to be holding up with 5 minutes use on it.

I don't have a light meter or multimeter.

It has a GID clicky that sticks out precluding candlestanding.
The clicky is a forward clicky,i.e. it will light the LED with a half press.
It isn't as bright as I'd like but for the price I am happy with it as it is a good AA house light. White beam, not too ice cool either. Beam shot below to show it has a blurry ring in it even with the OP reflector. Build quality is very good.
Edit: after using it with an RCR123 I like it more.

My subjective ratings on a scale of 100:
Brightness: 87 w/RCR: 92
Build Quality: 97
Beam Quality: 89
Overall: 92

2004047071086205666_rs.jpg

2003161884660915573_rs.jpg

2004050225819603181_rs.jpg

2004099609176994561_rs.jpg

2004800539167827472_rs.jpg

Last edited:

MartinSE

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any other 1X123 light you do a comparison photo with, showing its relative size?

Cheers!

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Last edited:

MartinSE

Newly Enlightened

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the brightness and beam profile of this light on 1 x CR123a compare to some quality, but affordable 1 x CR123a lights, like a P1-CE or LM33?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
BigBlue, my best beam and brightest by far 1AA is the Fenix L1D Q5. And on the P2D body it is a bit brighter (not that I can tell since I can't run both bodies at the same time) and it gets noticeably brighter but loses low/med with a 3.6V RCR.

My BEST beam quality 1AA light is MTE Q5 5-Mode. It is NOT nearly as bright as Fenix but does have NICE tint!

Anyhow I don't see how it would be possible to go wrong with P2D Q5 or R100

Corbs

Newly Enlightened
Have you run this with the 3.7v rechargeables for long now? I plan to with mine and don't want to break it.

aim54x

Newly Enlightened
My first post here, although I have been lurking here for awhile.

I purchased one of these lights based off all the reviews here at CPF back in April 08, but unfortunately mine turned out to be a dud. I tried to get a RMA for it, but quickly decided it was not worth my trouble as DX didnt seem to want to know.

Mine started off ok, but quickly developed problems of not staying on with the beam turning off with the slightest movement. This eventually became a torch that did not turn on.

However i was impressed with the build quality of the body when I first got it. Even compared to my hardworking WolfEyes Defender 260 it is not too shabby.

I wanted to thank BessieBenny for his budget round up that included this flashlight. Without it I would have done worse.

I have not replaced this unit yet...and probably wont though. I am tempted to take it apart and see if I can fix it, but I dont have any parts nor any experience. Anyone have any tips? Clicky switch? Pill?

bp78

Newly Enlightened
Good review. This is probably my favorite DX light. I've used one for several months now and really appreciate the forward-clicky. (We run night time shooting matches, forward clicky very helpful checking targets in shadows during scoring) I also just bought the Shining Beam Q5 version of it which seems a hair brighter.

+1 for forward-clickys and single-mode lights.

aim54x

Newly Enlightened
I dug out my Romisen and threw in some batteries, and appears to be working again....

can someone tell me how to get to the switch retaining ring? is it on the inside of the tailcap? how do I adjust it?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

aim54x

Newly Enlightened
The retaining ring is on the inside....just take the tail cap off and you will see to indents in the ring. Just tighten, sometimes they come loose when screwing and unscrewing the the tail cap. And if the switch is the problem then you can get switches made for the N3 over at shiningbeam.com.

Thanks... I will have a play when I get home from work tonight

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a problem man.....i have been using one for almost two years now, ever since bryan started carrying the Q5 versions. Its just one of my outdoor lights.

Last edited:

aim54x

Newly Enlightened
had to dig out my dissection kit to find a tool to tighten up that switch retainer ring, but the light works really well now. HUGE thanks mate.

I dont think mine is a Q5 but it is still plenty bright. I run it on NiMH AA's as I have quite a few of those, whereas CR123's are scarce and exy for me.

Can someone link me somewhere where I can learn to identify LED's?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got it to work man.....just remember that bryan sells forward clickies made for it...dont know how long he will carry them so you might want to pick up a couple for the light.

Latest posts