How is your P model Novatac set up.

whc

Enlightened
Novatac 85P/120P owners - How did you program your flashlight?

Thought it would be "fun" to start a thread to see how all of you who own the programmable version of the EDC have costimized your 85P/120P.

Here is my settings for 120P (so far):

Maximum setting: 120 Lumens
Secondary setting: 15 Lumens <-Updated
Primary setting: 42 Lumens <-Updated
Minimum setting: .94 Lumens <-Updated
Force Setting: Disabled
Locator Flash: Disabled
Automatic Button Lock: Disabled
Automatic Turn Off: Disabled
Simple Momentary: Enabled
Tactical Momentary: Disabled
Ramping and Option Menu: Enabled

How is yours?

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Novatac 85P/120P owners - How did you program your flashlight?

reserved.
i have left mine on factory for now.until i figure what settings i use the most.so i will post here later.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Secondary setting: 5.3 Lumens
Primary setting: 42 Lumens
Minimum setting: 0.08 Lumens
Force Setting: Disabled
Locater Flash: Disabled

42 lumens seems to be perfect for most tasks... but it's nice to be able to kick it up to 120 if I want to.... and I want to! And I've found both low setting to be extremely cool and useful too.

Ha, I may be coming back here often to edit this, as it's fun trying out different options each night. I had the button lock enabled at first, but found I really missed being able to use the simple momentary function that way. I also started with the Force setting ON, but I've found that limits how I use the light... so by turning that off and being able to have it come back on at the level I turned it off, I can utilize the low levels more fully. Neat light!

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cave Dave's settings for 120P:

Secondary setting: 10 Lumens
Primary setting: 1 Lumens
Minimum setting: 30 Lumens (might go to 42)
Force Setting: Force Primary (this will probably change to off)
Locator Flash: Disabled

SaVaGe

Enlightened

Mine still in box. Will probably leave the factory default if i ever open it.
I'll probably leave it in th box and open it up 50 years from now if im still alive. Im waiting for Henry's new product. I like it so much that i enjoy it looking at the box unopened.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dude it ain't single malt scotch! Open that sucker up and start re-programming!
:buddies:

whc

Enlightened

Mine still in box. Will probably leave the factory default if i ever open it.
I'll probably leave it in th box and open it up 50 years from now if im still alive. Im waiting for Henry's new product. I like it so much that i enjoy it looking at the box unopened.
How can you not open it, within 10 sec after the postman dropped mine off it was opened and tested :D. You are a very patient man :).

whc

Enlightened

Is it just me, or do the manual have an error:

On page 13, under 11. Factory Default Settings, it is stated that Minimum setting is 0.3 lumens. But on page 5 in the Levels chart there is no 0.3 lumens to be found, is it just me, or what ever settings is it. Think it is the .33 lumens in the chart that is default?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

im sure .08 is the minimum as in the level chart.it seems a printing error .3 should read .33 :thinking:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

So far I've just changed the following:
- Forced Setting #4 - Off (default is on) so it will start up in the last mode or level used
- changed the triple click level (low) to the lowest available .08 Lumens
- Primary is set to disorienting strobe (double click)
- rest are default settings.

For around home I leave it on the lowest setting since it's often used at night just to manuver around the house. A double click from that level brings it up to a fairly bright setting and another double click activates the strobe. Now as I was writing this I just noticed the following (I was unaware it worked this way): If I had it in strobe mode then triple clicked to go to lowest level and then turn it off it will do the following the next time I turn it on:
1 - turn on brings up the lowest level (where I had it last)
2 - a double click then activates the strobe.
3 - another double click activates a medium level.
BUT if when I turn it off I have gone from the medium level to the lowest level and THEN off it will come up like this:
2 - a double click then activates the medium level
3 - another double click activates the strobe
Do you see the difference? I haven't begun to try memorizing the manual yet but this was a surprise. Not a problem - in fact it gives you even more options for how to set up your light it seems.
I'm not sure if I'll keep it this way but for taking out in situations this is how I'd like it. Around the house I might turn off the strobe for another brightness level between the 3 I have.

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

- Forced Setting #4 - Off (default is on) so it will start up in the last mode or level used

I'm not sure if I'll keep it this way but for taking out in situations this is how I'd like it. Around the house I might turn off the strobe for another brightness level between the 3 I have.
hi i thought the triple click was the factory set to the lowest .08:thinking:

whc

Enlightened

hi i thought the triple click was the factory set to the lowest .08:thinking:
No it is just the "minimum setting" you can program it the way you want, like the tree other settings :).

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is no .03 in the PDF version of the manual - probably someone's typo when making up the manual they saw the 8 as a 3 - one of the more common read errors due to the similarity in the figures.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep I think the default triple click is around level 4 or 5. When I set it to .08 or the lowest I could get it was noticeably less light.

mightysparrow

Enlightened

I've had the lights for a week now, and decided to change the maximum setting to 85 lms, down from 120, to get the extra run time at that setting. Other than that, I'm leaving the settings at the factory levels for now.

Just picked up my EDC 120P's at the Post Office today. Great lights! I'm leaving mine at the factory settings, for now, which I did not do with my HDS EDC U60. The difference in factory settings of the primary and secondary levels in the Novatac lights, compared to the HDS U60, makes the factory settings more to my liking in the Novatac lights (I like ramping up to a higher amount of light when going from primary to secondary).

On the other hand, it might make more sense to program the primary level very low, then ramp up higher at secondary, and then go even higher for the third level accessible through the triple click. Somebody who posted before me did that, and it makes sense. I'll think about doing that.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to decide whether to put the pocket clips on or not. Enjoy your lights, everybody!

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened

For around home I leave it on the lowest setting since it's often used at night just to manuver around the house. A double click from that level brings it up to a fairly bright setting and another double click activates the strobe. Now as I was writing this I just noticed the following (I was unaware it worked this way): If I had it in strobe mode then triple clicked to go to lowest level and then turn it off it will do the following the next time I turn it on:
2 - a double click then activates the strobe.
3 - another double click activates a medium level.
BUT if when I turn it off I have gone from the medium level to the lowest level and THEN off it will come up like this:
2 - a double click then activates the medium level
3 - another double click activates the strobe
Do you see the difference? I haven't begun to try memorizing the manual yet but this was a surprise. Not a problem - in fact it gives you even more options for how to set up your light it seems.
Yes it will memorize the primary or secondary setting when going to maximum or minimum from either of the two settings, a double click will bring you back to the last primary or secondary mode used. Like it allot also, very good in actual use.

The only bad thing with the UI IMO is that you have to hold the button when selecting levels in "Brightness Settings", would be much nicer if you would click your way to the "Brightness Settings", and than could click one step at the time, and double click to go back, like when in the Option Menu. Hope that Novatac will update this in the firmware, maybe release a USB cable for the 85P/120P (like they said they would when it was first announced) for programming on the computer and updating firmware, that would be awesome :D.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

... "Brightness Settings", would be much nicer if you would click your way to the "Brightness Settings", and than could click one step at the time, and double click to go back, like when in the Option Menu. ....
Totally agreed on this one! The click forward double-click back was much, much better. Or at the very least slow it down some. Its very hard to keep track if you are making big changes.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

No it is just the "minimum setting" you can program it the way you want, like the tree other settings :).
hmm ok is this correct "please excuse my ignorance" me stupid,from on which i asume is primary,three clicks takes me to minimum which is factory set.are you saying you can go lower.:confused: sorry guys i'm just trying to figure out.if the user guide is wrong stating minimum .3 or is it .08:thinking:

KenAnderson

Enlightened

hmm ok is this correct "please excuse my ignorance" me stupid,from on which i asume is primary,three clicks takes me to minimum which is factory set.are you saying you can go lower.:confused: sorry guys i'm just trying to figure out.if the user guide is wrong stating minimum .3 or is it .08:thinking:

The lowest you can actually set any brightness level in the new Novatac's is .08 lumens. The lights come factory set with the three-click level set at .33 lumens. This can be lowered by the user to .08 if desired or raised to what ever....

Ken